The Student Room Group

Any advice on how to write the winning scholarship statement?

Currently looking at applying for a scholarship for International Relations (Political Economy).

I want to know what sort of information should I cover in my personal statement, what would you say is adequate amount, i.e word count/page(s) and any other things you consider important?

Many thanks in advance.

'I wouldn't be able to afford this course without the sponser, so it all depends on this, if I don't get it, then unfortunately I guess its no Masters for me.

Cheers.
Original post by thePatron
Currently looking at applying for a scholarship for International Relations (Political Economy).

I want to know what sort of information should I cover in my personal statement, what would you say is adequate amount, i.e word count/page(s) and any other things you consider important?

Many thanks in advance.

'I wouldn't be able to afford this course without the sponser, so it all depends on this, if I don't get it, then unfortunately I guess its no Masters for me.

Cheers.

There must be some guidance on what they're looking for in the statement and how long it's meant to be. Otherwise talk about why you want to do this course and how it fits in with your career plans, what this scholarship means to you, why this uni. About a page should do it.

Quote if you want a reply!
BSc Biochemistry with a year in industry, University of York
PhD in molecular biology, Queen Mary University of London
I won a masters scholarship, so hopefully I can help you - I was applying for one from the uni I did undergrad at, so I spoke about all the achievements I had whilst an undergrad in terms of extra-curricular involvement and awards, first. Then I spoke about how these will help me to be engaged with the postgrad community in my department, and how they will help me balance masters study with further extra-curriculars and career development. Then about why I want to do the masters course specifically, focusing on how it fits in with my career plans, and also why I will be of value to the uni in the future, as a representative of the uni, with a high level of responsibility in my chosen field I would be an asset to the uni etc.

Sorry for the English there, but you get the idea. Good luck! :smile:

I think one of the best things you can do is make it very personal and specific to you, for example I spoke in a bit of detail about my future ambitions in relation to the course, and what I did at undergrad etc. Don't make it too general because it's boring to read and doesn't make you memorable.
Reply 3
Original post by alleycat393
There must be some guidance on what they're looking for in the statement and how long it's meant to be. Otherwise talk about why you want to do this course and how it fits in with your career plans, what this scholarship means to you, why this uni. About a page should do it.

Quote if you want a reply!
BSc Biochemistry with a year in industry, University of York
PhD in molecular biology, Queen Mary University of London

Thanks for your input, Im going to get started. Ill let you know how im getting on via pm.
Hello

Writing the perfect personal statement is no easy feat, and there is no set formula. Whilst others can help you and give you advice, ultimately it is something that only you can write. There are a few key things for you to consider however, make sure to talk about yourself, describing your skills and your passion for the subject. Explain that you have a genuine interest and love for the subject, maybe draw upon some experience you have gained which is relevant. Aim for between 500 and 800 words in length, make sure it reads well and there are no spelling mistakes. There will be some information regarding the type of qualities and skills they will be looking for in the statement, so have a look and see what they recommend.

Good luck with it, if you need any further information then just let me know!

- Matt
Original post by De Montfort University
Hello

Writing the perfect personal statement is no easy feat, and there is no set formula. Whilst others can help you and give you advice, ultimately it is something that only you can write. There are a few key things for you to consider however, make sure to talk about yourself, describing your skills and your passion for the subject. Explain that you have a genuine interest and love for the subject, maybe draw upon some experience you have gained which is relevant. Aim for between 500 and 800 words in length, make sure it reads well and there are no spelling mistakes. There will be some information regarding the type of qualities and skills they will be looking for in the statement, so have a look and see what they recommend.

Good luck with it, if you need any further information then just let me know!

- Matt

The advice you're giving is about writing a PS for UCAS - not about writing a PS for a competitive scholarship application.

If a university wanted the scholarship PS to mirror the UCAS PS then they'd simply award the scholarship to the student with the best UCAS PS instead of having a separate application route.
Whilst the University you are applying to should give you some information, there are also several websites which give detail in regards to personal statements for scholarship applications. Some give information regarding the application process alongside what is best to include for the personal statement. Whilst as PQ states, the personal statement differs from the UCAS PS, you may still want to include details about the qualifications and achievements you gained during your studies.

Studylink has a good page with information about postgraduate funding and scholarships for example, but just have a look at several areas to get as much knowledge as you can.

All the best,

Matt
Reply 7
Original post by PQ

Original post by Antifazian

Original post by alleycat393

Thanks, dont want to sound stupid, but both the programme and scholarship ask for personal statements, so I was wondering can i use the same one I was writing up for the scholarship or do i have to make two separate ones?

Btw, how much was the word count on your statements (both PS and Scholarship S)
Reply 8
Original post by De Montfort University

All the best,

Matt

Thanks
Thanks, dont want to sound stupid, but both the programme and scholarship ask for personal statements, so I was wondering can i use the same one I was writing up for the scholarship or do i have to make two separate ones?

Depending on the advice from the university then I'd say no don't use the same one.

Your programme PS should be written focusing on your reasons for applying to that course. Because you'll generally have a reference too and your application will have your educational background in it then you don't need to big up achievements in your PS.

For a scholarship the focus is generally very much on how the money would benefit you. ie why you're a worthy recipient. That means more boasting about how great you are, discussion of specific high marks/awards you might have won etc. Plus what you hope to gain personally from the course (ie is it to help you get going on a career in xxx), and any financial barriers you're facing (are you from a low income background, have you had to work with study for your undergrad degree etc etc).

There will be elements of overlap, but they shouldn't be the same statement - I think the scholarship statement needs to give a much more rounded picture of yourself and your achievements, your 'story' etc. than the programme ps does, as that will place more emphasis on your skills and academic stuff.

I think mine was around 700 words.
Reply 11
Original post by Antifazian
There will be elements of overlap, but they shouldn't be the same statement - I think the scholarship statement needs to give a much more rounded picture of yourself and your achievements, your 'story' etc. than the programme ps does, as that will place more emphasis on your skills and academic stuff.

I think mine was around 700 words.

thank you - feel like giving up man, its too long winded... aghhhh
thank you - feel like giving up man, its too long winded... aghhhh

Did you write out a plan of which points you want to include first? That helps focus. Think succinct. It's best to write it too long to begin with and then shorten it down afterwards. Don't give it up, it's a very small obstacle in the grand scheme of things!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending