The Student Room Group

Saudi King Abdullah passes away

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Stalin
They modernised beheadings?

No no no. They now stone people with modern rocks (these rocks have been tested to ensure the maximum damage).
I wish there was a hell for the bastard to burn in!
Original post by Stalin
They modernised beheadings?

the thing's been in them for 1400 years, not gonna change over night without completely distabilizing the region. The masses will slowly wake up to the reality/21st century. The past 1.5 decade has seen the biggest changes in saudi society ever. They're moving in the right direction, very slowly now thanks to thhis guy (the ruler who just died) compared to no movement at all since formation of the country. I'm pretty sure saudi arabia will see the 21st century before 22nd hits rest of the world.
Original post by tehFrance
In the West not ME.

So, that was at the behest of the Bahrain government. Qatar sponsors IS not Saudi, Saudi actively fights IS like much of the GCC, that said I'm sure there are some Saudi donators.

It may be a mere drop in the bucket for you but for Saudi Arabia, that's reform.

I've heard senior Qatari royal family members were "islamized" in uk and pakistan...that might explain this and offcourse that taliban peace deal thing where they let them setup an office in qatar, some time back...
Original post by ShotsFired-9941

It was at the King's request the Suadi Blogger's lashings were put to a halt.

Um, no it wasn't.

Abdullah had rarely been in a position to lead the regime the past few months due to his health. Let's not forget that it was Abdullah's regime that first sentenced the blogger to a public flogging. There has been no such request that you speak of.

Also Raif Badawi's flogging has not been put to a halt, don't be deceiving. It has been postponed on 'medical grounds' by a committee of 8 doctors in Jeddah because his initial wounds from his first 50 beatings (out of 1000), had still not healed and they need to be so he can apparently experience his punishment.
Original post by thunder_chunky
Uh huh....sure.

imagine yourself in his place.

you're 80 years old, heading the most religious country in the world, home to the "headquarters" of the 1.6 billion follower religion of islam who all (almost) believe in sharia law. you just can't change these laws without loosing in politics very very badly. Saying anything against sharia would turn his own people against him and destabilize the entire middle east and that thing would easily spread to all other islamic countries.

change simply cannot come fast in saudi arabia. But the massive changes that have occured in the past 1.5 decade have to be appreciated. women are almost allowed to drive and you now have a chance of survival after insulting the royal family/sharia etc. This is solid change. He let things loose a little. If that continues with the new guy, these backwards laws won't last very long. You guys are simply unaware of ground realities in saudi arabia right now.
You shouldn't speak ill of the dead so I'm just going to leave this here...

:smile:
Original post by h3isenberg
Um, no it wasn't.

Abdullah had rarely been in a position to lead the regime the past few months due to his health. Let's not forget that it was Abdullah's regime that first sentenced the blogger to a public flogging. There has been no such request that you speak of.

Also Raif Badawi's flogging has not been put to a halt, don't be deceiving. It has been postponed on 'medical grounds' by a committee of 8 doctors in Jeddah because his initial wounds from his first 50 beatings (out of 1000), had still not healed and they need to be so he can apparently experience his punishment.

he's seen as the bad guy by the saudi public. ordinary saudi people want him flogged.

the authorities are only delaying the floggings to find some middle ground where both west and saudi public, both can be satisfied.
Original post by ShotsFired-9941
If you are a criminal you deserve to be punished. I'm not going to bother about your "terrorist state" comment. Disgusting post (N)

Here's the problem: if you wrongly accuse someone of stealing and you put them in prison, you can take them out once you know they're innocent. If you wrongly accuse someone of stealing and you cut off their hand, it won't grow back if you find out they're innocent.

Hamas is a terrorist organisation. For you to think otherwise is, quite frankly, ridiculous.
If this is true, then we must laugh even more about our hypocrisy regarding our support for Saudi Arabia:

This is a document issued by

Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Ministry of Interior
Follow-up LOGO Number: 71466/J/H
Attachments:
Date: 25/5/1433 H. [April /17/2012 AD]

(Top Secret)

His Excellency General Suood Al-Thnayyan
The Classified [Secret] Office at the Ministry of Interior May Allah protect him

Peace be upon you and Allah's mercy and blessings

In reference to the Royal Court telegram No. 112, dated on 04/19/1433 H [March 3, 2012], referring to those held in the Kingdom jails accused with crimes to which Islamic Sharia law of execution by sword [decapitation] applies, we inform you that we are in dialogue with the accused criminals who have been convicted with smuggling drugs, murder, rape, from the following nationalities: 110 Yemenis, 21 Palestinians, 212 Saudis, 96 Sudanese, 254 Syrians, 82 Jordanians, 68 Somalis, 32 Afghanis, 94 Egyptians, 203 Pakistanis, 23 Iraqis, and 44 Kuwaitis.

We have reached an agreement with them that they will be exempted from the death sentence and given a monthly salary to their families and loved ones, who will be prevented from traveling outside Saudi Arabia in return for rehabilitation of the accused and their training in order to send them to Jihad in Syria.

Please accept my greetings.

http://www.aina.org/news/20130120160624.htm
Original post by SophiaLDN

Oh yes, you should definitely speak ill of horrible people after death. There is no magical thing happening when someone dies that suddenly exempts this person from criticism and ridicule, especially if this person lead one of the most brutal and dictatorial regimes on the planet.
Original post by Sir Fox
Oh yes, you should definitely speak ill of horrible people after death. There is no magical thing happening when someone dies that suddenly exempts this person from criticism and ridicule, especially if this person lead one of the most brutal and dictatorial regimes on the planet.

Ran out of reps, but this is too true.

It is now part of history but we all remember what happens to those who ignore history - they become doomed to repeat it.
Original post by zedeneye1
imagine yourself in his place.

you're 80 years old, heading the most religious country in the world, home to the "headquarters" of the 1.6 billion follower religion of islam who all (almost) believe in sharia law. you just can't change these laws without loosing in politics very very badly. Saying anything against sharia would turn his own people against him and destabilize the entire middle east and that thing would easily spread to all other islamic countries.

change simply cannot come fast in saudi arabia. But the massive changes that have occured in the past 1.5 decade have to be appreciated. women are almost allowed to drive and you now have a chance of survival after insulting the royal family/sharia etc. This is solid change. He let things loose a little. If that continues with the new guy, these backwards laws won't last very long. You guys are simply unaware of ground realities in saudi arabia right now.

I think you give him far too much credit. I doubt he was as progressive as you think, and I think that to put a flag at half mast for him is some sort of nod in the direction of him, the country he headed, and everything it stood for. Putting the flag at half mast for him was pathetic.
I know change takes time, generations, however I really don't see people from that country making any sort of change whether it's socially or religiously. You would think that the people at the top would lead the way, and by that I mean the rather massive Royal Family. That being said, they are so ridiculous wealthy and comfortable that I doubt too many of them are in a rush to change things.
You say the backwards laws won't last very long, I call bull**** on that. They have been around for a long time and they will continue to do so for a long time afterwards. I don't see why we should therefore give the benefit of the doubt to the late King Abdullah, his successor, or anyone else.
I think you give him far too much credit. I doubt he was as progressive as you think, and I think that to put a flag at half mast for him is some sort of nod in the direction of him, the country he headed, and everything it stood for. Putting the flag at half mast for him was pathetic.
I know change takes time, generations, however I really don't see people from that country making any sort of change whether it's socially or religiously. You would think that the people at the top would lead the way, and by that I mean the rather massive Royal Family. That being said, they are so ridiculous wealthy and comfortable that I doubt too many of them are in a rush to change things.
You say the backwards laws won't last very long, I call bull**** on that. They have been around for a long time and they will continue to do so for a long time afterwards. I don't see why we should therefore give the benefit of the doubt to the late King Abdullah, his successor, or anyone else.

I did not know of that...

Changing ANYTHING risks their wealth and power. Yet under this guy things actually changed and he let that happen. He let things loose.

Things have changed in the past 1.5 decades. You are just not aware of how much things have changed. As saudis get wealthier, they will want more freedom, the country is moving in the right direction, so is other ME countries like UAE. These guys are committed to changing their laws except they don't want to risk everything they have just for that change.
Original post by missfats

zippy doodah does have a point. Apparently he put his two daughters under house arrest,forbade them to leave the country and tried starving them to the extent they both lost a lot of weight.

I don't know about you but I don't think a father or a king should act like that
Original post by zedeneye1
I did not know of that...

Changing ANYTHING risks their wealth and power. Yet under this guy things actually changed and he let that happen. He let things loose.

Things have changed in the past 1.5 decades. You are just not aware of how much things have changed. As saudis get wealthier, they will want more freedom, the country is moving in the right direction, so is other ME countries like UAE. These guys are committed to changing their laws except they don't want to risk everything they have just for that change.

You didn't know that the Saudi Royal Family are ridiculously wealthy? How could you not know that?
Maybe I'm not as aware and down with the goings on, but I a very sceptical of how much a country like that can and will change. Too much religion, the old fashioned sort.
Reply 56
I'd probably die too if Uzbekistan played like saudi arabia in the asia cup lol
Original post by h3isenberg
Um, no it wasn't.

Yes, I didn't word by post appropriately enough. His lashing wasn't halted per say but postponed.

People are quick to blame the king when the saudi blogger's plight was publicized. So why not commend the king in this instance?

Well the papers have mention that the king referred this case to the supreme court and asked them to review it. So yeah I think he was involved in this.
You didn't know that the Saudi Royal Family are ridiculously wealthy? How could you not know that?
Maybe I'm not as aware and down with the goings on, but I a very sceptical of how much a country like that can and will change. Too much religion, the old fashioned sort.

I didn't know of the flag thing...
Reply 59
Original post by SophiaLDN

Your superstitious ignorance is detrimental to any meaningful discussion.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending