The Student Room Group

TSR Christian Society (X-SOC) Episode IV: A New Hope

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Racoon
Hi there, how fantastic :smile:. Are you able to practice your faith freely (I'm guessing you are not in the UK?)

Oh, I live in the UK. But I'm originally from Iraq.
Original post by Icantbebothered
Oh, I live in the UK. But I'm originally from Iraq.

Are you from a tradition of Arab Christians or are you a new Christian (as in part of the evangelism that's been taking place in the Middle-East) and how do you find being a Christian in the UK compared to Iraq.

Sorry for all the questions :smile:
Original post by Racoon
Are you from a tradition of Arab Christians or are you a new Christian (as in part of the evangelism that's been taking place in the Middle-East) and how do you find being a Christian in the UK compared to Iraq.

Sorry for all the questions :smile:

Arab Christian through and through. My family originate from Najd, Banu Taghlib. It was a Christian tribe that moved to South Iraq, and then to North Iraq (the Nineveh plains).

In regard to the evangelism, I would much prefer it if the local Church were involved as opposed to foreign missionaries (I mean, these missionaries are successful with the Kurdish Muslims, Iranian, and Turkish Muslims). However, it's harder to penetrate Arab Muslims with Western evangelism.

Saying that, the Arab Orthodox people and Church are too silent to speak out against anything. It's not even an issue of turning the cheek any more, but it's remaining silent even in front of terror and evil. Conversion to Christianity in the Middle East is mostly illegal (in the majority of the ME countries), and this is something that the Arab Christians have never ever addressed, leaving the converts to Christianity at the mercy of the institutions/Muslim communities. There's a book (which is based off a thesis) on Arab Muslim converts to Christianity and their experiences.

This is something that I would like to see confronted.
(edited 9 years ago)
Arab Christian through and through. My family originate from Najd, Banu Taghlib. It was a Christian tribe that moved to South Iraq, and then to North Iraq (the Nineveh plains).

In regard to the evangelism, I would much prefer it if the local Church were involved as opposed to foreign missionaries (I mean, these missionaries are successful with the Kurdish Muslims, Iranian, and Turkish Muslims). However, it's harder to penetrate Arab Muslims with Western evangelism.

Saying that, the Arab Orthodox people and Church are too silent to speak out against anything. It's not even an issue of turning the cheek any more, but it's remaining silent even in front of terror and evil. Conversion to Christianity in the Middle East is mostly illegal (in the majority of the ME countries), and this is something that the Arab Christians have never ever addressed, leaving the converts to Christianity at the mercy of the institutions/Muslim communities.

This is something that I would like to change.

That's an interesting insight, thank you. Praying God Blesses you :smile: (and of course we need to pray for the persecuted church around the world)
(edited 9 years ago)
Hey all! I'm new. :tongue:

I'm an Arab Orthodox Christian. My interests are Islam and Christianity.

Here's an Orthodox chant of ours.

[video="youtube;SpBdsqyKNEA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpBdsqyKNEA&index=23&lis t=PLMT7AYpPxQIfeVMbVIbsKaZ1Gg3iq Fdmh[/video]

Hello and welcome! Nice to meet you! I'm Shan, badly-behaved Catholic :jebus:

Thanks for including the YouTube clip, that was beautiful to listen to :smile:
Hey, Im a non Christian guy who's been looking into it, and I found 2 nice churches close by. Is it weird to go to both? :colondollar:
Original post by HarryDn
Hey, Im a non Christian guy who's been looking into it, and I found 2 nice churches close by. Is it weird to go to both? :colondollar:

Nope. A lot of people visit multiple churches before settling into one. It's best to settle with one in the end just because then you can get the most out of it and build fellowship there and all that kind of thing though.
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Nope. A lot of people visit multiple churches before settling into one. It's best to settle with one in the end just because then you can get the most out of it and build fellowship there and all that kind of thing though.

Thanks, I meant settling into two.. if I have the time :colondollar: is that not seen as appropriate then? :smile:
Original post by HarryDn
Thanks, I meant settling into two.. if I have the time :colondollar: is that not seen as appropriate then? :smile:

It's not that it's not appropriate, but church is more than just a Sunday thing, there'll be midweek bible studies normally, social events, meeting up with people from church for coffee, prayer meetings etc. etc. settling into just one church gives you opportunity to really invest in that church rather than spreading yourself thinly and finding you don't have time to make any deep connections at either church.
It's not that it's not appropriate, but church is more than just a Sunday thing, there'll be midweek bible studies normally, social events, meeting up with people from church for coffee, prayer meetings etc. etc. settling into just one church gives you opportunity to really invest in that church rather than spreading yourself thinly and finding you don't have time to make any deep connections at either church.

Oh :s-smilie: how do I decide then? Have met some great folksies from both places :frown:
Original post by HarryDn
Oh :s-smilie: how do I decide then? Have met some great folksies from both places :frown:

http://www.whatchristianswanttoknow.com/how-to-choose-a-church-7-things-to-look-for/

If they've got all these 7 things, then I'd say the one which fits best with your schedule.
http://www.whatchristianswanttoknow.com/how-to-choose-a-church-7-things-to-look-for/

If they've got all these 7 things, then I'd say the one which fits best with your schedule.

That's a great link.
Original post by HarryDn

I should imagine once you get involved you will naturally find yourself going to one more than the other. :smile: Glad you are enjoying going.
Can I become a member of this group please?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 10001
Can I become a member of this group please?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you a practising Christian, or a non-Christian sympathetic towards Christianity? If so, yes :biggrin:

No trolls/noobfaces allowed though! :security:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Are you a practising Christian, or a non-Christian sympathetic towards Christianity? If so, yes :biggrin:

No trolls/noobfaces allowed though! :security:

Yeah, as it says on my profile. I go to a baptist church.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 10001
Yeah, as it says on my profile. I go to a baptist church.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cool! Then you are very welcome :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: I'm Shan, the yodelling goatherd/badly behaved Catholic, btw! :jebus:
Cool! Then you are very welcome :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: I'm Shan, the yodelling goatherd/badly behaved Catholic, btw! :jebus:

Ok thanks. Is there proper membership or do I just look at this post regularly? And is there a pro-Christian Party in the model House of Commons? At the moment I'm a member of UKIP.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 10001
Ok thanks. Is there proper membership or do I just look at this post regularly? And is there a pro-Christian Party in the model House of Commons? At the moment I'm a member of UKIP.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think there technically *is* a group you can sign up to but I can't remember how you do that :colondollar: The main thing is checking this thread regularly :yes:

I've no idea about Model HoC, sorry :colondollar:
I think there technically *is* a group you can sign up to but I can't remember how you do that :colondollar: The main thing is checking this thread regularly :yes:

I've no idea about Model HoC, sorry :colondollar:

Ok no problem. Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending