Typing speed test

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by jshep000
Well done:eek: Hoping you don't beat me now:colone:

Saw your new record *sigh* maybe another time

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by crazystudent321
It is annoying that you have to follow the text exactly, but is more of an accurate test if you were measuring your actual typing speed, as you do have to put a space after a full stop if you were writing out a letter or a piece of work. I agree that test can a bit over tedious with focus on grammar/punctionation. I am currently on a machine which won't run the test, but will take it when I get the chance.

Do you?Word classes it as an error but I was never taught that at school and don't get what grammatical rule it breaks.If I was writing out something by hand I would never do that.
Found this one more challenging because I didn't really know where each individual letter was, I never really look at the keyboard when I type but I had to do for this one.

I agree I found the alphabet one ridiculously challenging. I can recite the alphabet very quickly, and can type the alphabet 'blindfolded' so know where the keys are. It just felt very weird typing it out as fast as possible, my fingers automatically hit other keys for no apparant reason. Didn't improve my score if I looked at the keyboard or not.

Some people can recite the next letter after lets say J, immediately. Or recite the alphabet backwards. I always would have to say the alphabet out to find the letter after J. Maybe it has some sort of correlation:eek:

Definitely an interesting concept, when listing my alphabet, I have to start at abc almost always. I cannot recite it backwards however hard I try. Would definitely be interesting to see how someone did on this test who have those kind of skills (such as even changing direction when reciting alphabet).
Original post by Dalek1099
Do you?Word classes it as an error but I was never taught that at school and don't get what grammatical rule it breaks.If I was writing out something by hand I would never do that.

That is weird? Word should put a space after a piece of punctuation which ends a sentence, it is common practice. Not just full stops, question marks, exlamation marks as well. Just see how other people are writing, even in this thread? Always a space after the full stop.

To be honest it makes very little difference, as I didn't even notice you doing it until you pointed it out, and even then, it doesn't change the meaning of anything. If you are 'used' to using a different style of grammar/punctuation not complying with the test, I would rate the results invalid. You would need a test which conforms to how you type for it to be fair.

Grammar checkers/info online suggest it is the norm to use a space to start a new sentence. and after most puntuation. Weird word is not doing that...
Peaked at 89 so far. 100+ is insane :frown:
Screen Shot 2015-01-23 at 20.16.50.png
Original post by Mr Inquisitive
Peaked at 89 so far. 100+ is insane :frown:

94!

Screen Shot 2015-01-23 at 20.16.50.png
(edited 9 years ago)
That is weird? Word should put a space after a piece of punctuation which ends a sentence, it is common practice. Not just full stops, question marks, exlamation marks as well. Just see how other people are writing, even in this thread? Always a space after the full stop.

To be honest it makes very little difference, as I didn't even notice you doing it until you pointed it out, and even then, it doesn't change the meaning of anything. If you are 'used' to using a different style of grammar/punctuation not complying with the test, I would rate the results invalid. You would need a test which conforms to how you type for it to be fair.

Grammar checkers/info online suggest it is the norm to use a space to start a new sentence. and after most puntuation. Weird word is not doing that...

No Word is doing that but I don't think it should as I have not been taught that.I have seen many articles/items that have had no gap in them sometimes even leading to confusion.I think there should only be a gap if it is necessary as it looks confusing I always thought that the . acts as the space between the words.
Original post by Dalek1099
No Word is doing that but I don't think it should as I have not been taught that.I have seen many articles/items that have had no gap in them sometimes even leading to confusion.I think there should only be a gap if it is necessary as it looks confusing I always thought that the . acts as the space between the words.

Looking around at sources on the internet, it seems a gap after a full stop is standard practice. The gap signifies a new word/sentence, the same way a full stop ends one. A quick look online shows more arguements over whether one or two spaces is correcr!

http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/spacing.asp

Most sources seem to agree with that summary^ Have you got any other app like abi/open word to spell check and see how that comes out? What language do you have word set to, is it an old version?
Reply 48

I spend too much time on a computer haha. The top guy has like 180..how...
Original post by Fudge2

I spend too much time on a computer haha. The top guy has like 180..how...

05/04/14 ??? wow u sure did it in advance
*grin* Screen Shot 2015-01-23 at 20.36.36.png
Original post by beyknowles

LOL. Caught
Reply 52

Haha yeah it's from ages ago, I just saw the thread and already have the picture saved. I'll have another go now if you think I'm faking..
Original post by Fudge2
Haha yeah it's from ages ago, I just saw the thread and already have the picture saved. I'll have another go now if you think I'm faking..

Oh you just conveniently had it saved in case someone made this thread, je comprends :wink:

I got 115, that's good for someone with dyspraxia (imo)
Reply 54
Original post by Mr Inquisitive
LOL. Caught

Just had another go; I believe you owe me an apology. :wink:

Original post by Fudge2
Just had another go; I believe you owe me an apology. :wink:

asdfghjkl how?! I got 100 wpm and I was like okay that'll do...
Looking around at sources on the internet, it seems a gap after a full stop is standard practice. The gap signifies a new word/sentence, the same way a full stop ends one. A quick look online shows more arguements over whether one or two spaces is correcr!

http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/spacing.asp

Most sources seem to agree with that summary^ Have you got any other app like abi/open word to spell check and see how that comes out? What language do you have word set to, is it an old version?

A full stop to me signifies that two sentences are separate like how you wouldn't leave two lines gap between paragraphs to signify that the paragraph has ended and then another started.That is the problem with language its all standard practice with no real reason for most of it, its not like Science where theories are based on scientific evidence.
Reply 57
Oh you just conveniently had it saved in case someone made this thread, je comprends :wink:

I got 115, that's good for someone with dyspraxia (imo)

Genuinely did. Just got 133 as above so I hope you trust me that I wasn't lying now :P. Je suis triste que vous pensiez que I would lie...

Blimey fair play haha, you type faster than most people despite dyspraxia

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Fudge2
Genuinely did. Just got 133 as above so I hope you trust me that I wasn't lying now :P. Je suis triste que vous pensiez que I would lie...

Blimey fair play haha, you type faster than most people despite dyspraxia

Posted from TSR Mobile

ça ne me fait pas rien mdr

bref, très bien. je pense que je ferais mieux que toi, si j'essaie assez dûr ? :wink:

Et merci pour ça ! ahah

EDIT: aussi the 'Y' key on my laptop is missing so I have to really dig at the little stump which is left (lol at me justifying myself)
(edited 9 years ago)
102 and now my shoulder is cramping to hell :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest