The Student Room Group

TSR Tennis Society IV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by K1NG93
How the **** did you lose to Seppi Roger? And more importantly how did you lose the forth set tiebreak? Three mini breaks and you hand them back straight away. What a mug. I wasn't expecting him to win the whole thing but at least he should have played to his seeding and reached the SFs. But it's clear that both Rog and Rafa are in decline so that means if Nole doesn't win at least two majors this season, it will be a big disappointment.

As for Roger, I hope he gets a wildcard for Rotterdam. I don't wanna wait till dubai to see him back in action. That's way too long. Nadal is playing these little tournaments in South america. I hope federer gets a wildcard or two for some smaller tournaments in Europe. He has to make up for the loss points.

No, he needs a rest. He hardly had an off-season so he might even skip Dubai

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think it's just age personally. Unfortunately while we still get brilliance, we have to accept that at longer matches now he's not going to win as many.
Murray's draw has opened up very nicely so he should try and at least get to the semis and given Nadal's form should he meet him I'd say Murray's got a great chance to reach another slam final
Original post by lizzy95
Murray's draw has opened up very nicely so he should try and at least get to the semis and given Nadal's form should he meet him I'd say Murray's got a great chance to reach another slam final

Agree. I think Murray looked great out there today, and would not be surprised if we got a Djokovic-Murray showdown again
Original post by lizzy95

Should think so although he failed to pass Dimitrov at Wimbledon.

Seppi vs Kyrigos should be an interesting match. Both have a good chance to get to the QF.

Tomic vs Berdych has gone to 5 at Wimbledon 2013 and 2014, Tomic actually seems in good form.
Original post by Rakas21
Should think so although he failed to pass Dimitrov at Wimbledon.

Seppi vs Kyrigos should be an interesting match. Both have a good chance to get to the QF.

Tomic vs Berdych has gone to 5 at Wimbledon 2013 and 2014, Tomic actually seems in good form.

For me Dimitrov has looked at bit out of sorts recently while Murray is getting back to his best but hey I didn't see Federer losing today so Dimitrov has a chance. I'd love Kyrigos to go deep In just find him a breath of fresh air. Also good to see Tomic playing well after some years in the tennis wilderness
Original post by lizzy95
For me Dimitrov has looked at bit out of sorts recently while Murray is getting back to his best but hey I didn't see Federer losing today so Dimitrov has a chance. I'd love Kyrigos to go deep In just find him a breath of fresh air. Also good to see Tomic playing well after some years in the tennis wilderness

Agree with that.

I can see Tomic being the Verdasco of this decade. He'll produce enough upsets to keep my interest while never actually winning anything important.
Original post by Krish4791
No, he needs a rest. He hardly had an off-season so he might even skip Dubai

Posted from TSR Mobile

Given Dubai is one of the very few tournaments that actually has quick conditions which is what Federer obviously prefers, skipping it would be an incredibly stupid thing to do, even more stupid than leaving the ball on MP down instead of putting it away.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Loat
I didn't particularly like Federer when he was smashing it at the top, not fully sure why.

But he is (was?) brilliant, and I really appreciate how he's carrying on and continually trying to improve even though his physical prowess is deserting him. It'll be truly sad when he calls it a day, I hope he keeps going until he can't get out of qualifying at the age of 48.

Yeah, he is special - as are Nadal, Murray and Djokovic. I mean, not everyone enjoys extended periods of dominance as the predictability makes things a little boring, but now I certainly realise just how great that period was back then, when Fed made winning Slams look easy. Then Fedal dominated as a duet until 2010, then Novak and later Andy also broke through and dominated as a quartet until mid-late 2013.
I miss the days when Fed was good.

[video="youtube;vREl8AErhbA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vREl8AErhbA[/video]
Original post by Krish4791
Yeah, he is special - as are Nadal, Murray and Djokovic. I mean, not everyone enjoys extended periods of dominance as the predictability makes things a little boring, but now I certainly realise just how great that period was back then, when Fed made winning Slams look easy. Then Fedal dominated as a duet until 2010, then Novak and later Andy also broke through and dominated as a quartet until mid-late 2013.

All depends how you define these things but if you define a period of dominance as involving at least one slam a year with a result no worse than an SF in the meantime then one could argue that after Federer dominated the sport from 04-10, we moved seamlessly into a period of Djokovic dominance from 2010-2013 bypassing Nadal (injured) and Murray (not quite able to be consistent enough on all surfaces). I'd also argue this is strengthened by the number of weeks at number 1 (Djokovic will probably beat Nadal in that regard).

Your right though, if these players were lone rangers then any one of them would dominate the game. Even Murray who i'm usually a bit hard on.

Unfortunately i do think this coming generation is inferior. Del Potro gets injuries, Nikishori is great but lacks the physicality to be considered a great (like Hewitt and Ferrer he's robbed by genetics) and Raonic is Sampras 2.0. Dimitrov has a wide array of skills but seems to lack the killer instinct. Other hopes like Tomic can be utterly brilliant but half the time it's like he doesn't even try. It will be interesting to see if we revert to this more normal array of players or whether they get eclipsed in a few years by a rising giant.
Original post by K1NG93
I miss the days when Fed was good.

[video="youtube;vREl8AErhbA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vREl8AErhbA[/video]

The shot from Federer at 6.35.. jaw dropping.
Original post by Rakas21

The MP and the penultimate point were also great. It's one of my fav Fed matches. He played at a ridiculously high level.
Original post by K1NG93
The MP and the penultimate point were also great. It's one of my fav Fed matches. He played at a ridiculously high level.

Original post by Rakas21

I remember seeing that match live - good memories. I don't expect to see anything like that from him again, but as long as he's playing that's good enough for me. Same with Nadal, who is also showing signs of inconsistency within matches now. If we see his match against Sela yesterday, he played well in the first 2 sets then almost lost the third with some sloppy play. Sadly,no matter how much we all try and fight it, the ageing process does play a big part in this. See how much both of them have slowed down already.
Original post by Rakas21
All depends how you define these things but if you define a period of dominance as involving at least one slam a year with a result no worse than an SF in the meantime then one could argue that after Federer dominated the sport from 04-10, we moved seamlessly into a period of Djokovic dominance from 2010-2013 bypassing Nadal (injured) and Murray (not quite able to be consistent enough on all surfaces). I'd also argue this is strengthened by the number of weeks at number 1 (Djokovic will probably beat Nadal in that regard).

Your right though, if these players were lone rangers then any one of them would dominate the game. Even Murray who i'm usually a bit hard on.

Unfortunately i do think this coming generation is inferior. Del Potro gets injuries, Nikishori is great but lacks the physicality to be considered a great (like Hewitt and Ferrer he's robbed by genetics) and Raonic is Sampras 2.0. Dimitrov has a wide array of skills but seems to lack the killer instinct. Other hopes like Tomic can be utterly brilliant but half the time it's like he doesn't even try. It will be interesting to see if we revert to this more normal array of players or whether they get eclipsed in a few years by a rising giant.

Yeah, as far as consistency goes, Djokovic has perfectly picked up where Federer left off as of 2011 with the GS QF/SF streaks, weeks at No.1, titles won, etc. I just feel he could have taken advantage in 2013/2014 and won more than just the 1 Slam each year.
Predictions for the final?
Djok-Berdych
Djokovic vs Murray
Nishikori vs Berdych
The winner of Djokovic vs Nikishori/Murray vs Nadal.

Quick Reply

Latest