The Student Room Group

REALLY GOOD calculus books?

Hi!

I think i`ve asked this before, but i didn`t really pursue, or forgot, the suggestions, so here goes.

I`ve just started refreshing my knowledge of calculus, so i wodered if anyone can suggest any very good books on Integral/differential calculus.

I`m not talking about online papers, nor the type of books which weigh more than my car -
- NOR the ones that have "reasonably good" exercises in them interspersed with garbage or waffle - i mean honest to goodness brilliant from beginning to end calculus books - where every page is filled with relevant information?

Can anyone suggest such a book?

For example, although it might not seem like it, a book i have found most useful with no garbage - is "teach youself calculus".

The books i have, which vary in degrees of "rubbishness" are:

Binmore (calculus explained solely with vectors? are you mad?)
Blank & krantz (single variable),
Shaum`s outline (this is "ok" but not great),

I did once have the "Stewart" book, from which i got RSI lifting it!

All these books are garbage, so i`d be gratefull if anyone can recommend a book than has NO c**ppy waffle in it, and TONS of questions.

Please?

ta!
Reply 1
Original post by Hasufel
Hi!

I think i`ve asked this before, but i didn`t really pursue, or forgot, the suggestions, so here goes.

I`ve just started refreshing my knowledge of calculus, so i wodered if anyone can suggest any very good books on Integral/differential calculus.

I`m not talking about online papers, nor the type of books which weigh more than my car -
- NOR the ones that have "reasonably good" exercises in them interspersed with garbage or waffle - i mean honest to goodness brilliant from beginning to end calculus books - where every page is filled with relevant information?

For example, although it might not seem like it, a book i have found most useful with no garbage - is "teach youself calculus".

All these books are garbage, so i`d be gratefull if anyone can recommend a book than has NO c**ppy waffle in it, and TONS of questions.

Please?

ta!

three of my favourites

Calculus by J Hunter Elementary but very good
http://www.waterstonesmarketplace.com/Calculus-John-Hunter/book/884321?qsort=p&matches=5

Integral Calculus by H.S. Dhami integration at its very best
http://www.waterstonesmarketplace.com/booksearch?author=dhami&title=integral+calculus&mtype=B

Advanced Calculus by Ian S Murphy (methods for first year undergrads)
http://www.waterstonesmarketplace.com/Advanced-Calculus-for-Engineering-and-Science-Students-Ian-S-Murphy/book/132941?matches=22

I have "stolen" enough questions from these 3

PS I like most Schaum ...
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
I quite liked Calculus Made Easy by Thomson - quite old (and indeed quite basic) but very good.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hasufel
Hi!

Please?

ta!

You may find this helpful.
Reply 4
Thanks guys! - i`ll chexk these out - TeeEm - sorry i`m not being allowed to rep you, man! - i`ll save it for another time - thanks!
Reply 5
Original post by Hasufel
Thanks guys! - i`ll chexk these out - TeeEm - sorry i`m not being allowed to rep you, man! - i`ll save it for another time - thanks!

no worries

visit Waterstones marketplace
best place for second hand books

Do not worry about repping
I have the same problem. I rep 5 people at the end of every day out of a repping list of 24 on a cyclic basis.
The annoying thing is when I ought to rep one of you and I just repped you the previous day...
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Have you checked out Spivak's Calculus? It's THE calculus book, but it's rigorous and quite hefty in size (Also quite expensive, but you can always get a 2nd hand). If you want to just refresh on techniques and methods however, I don't think it'd be quite as useful. But it has TONS of problems, like way too many (or maybe that's just me) and the baby Analysis in it is not that distracting either considering it's not a full-out Analysis textbook.

Quick Reply

Latest