The Student Room Group

Rejection from Uni - Makes no sense?

Hi there,

What's basically happened is that I messed up my AS's and have decided to change courses in my A2. I didn't want to do a third year hence went on a fast track for IT BTEC. The college didn't officially offer this so I had to discuss it with the teacher who agreed I could do the additional units and top it up to a Sub Dip in one year. As it wasn't offered officially and it was my first year, I got enrolled into the certificate. This was going to be a problem later...

I contacted Uni of Surrey and told them my qualifications and I hoped to apply to there Computing with Information Technology course. They asked for the units I was taking and finally said that I was "eligible to apply with the qualifications". So I added them to my UCAS thinking it was fine.

When the time came to submit my UCAS I put the qualifications I was going to be achieving as IT Sub Dip. However, the college made me change it to IT Certificate as that was what I was 'officially' taking and said they would add it to my personal reference about the circumstance. I was nervous just in case Uni's just checked the qualifications and decided it wasn't enough and rejected.

Hence, after it was sent off I manually emailed every Uni telling them to treat the Cert as a Sub Dip. Every Uni got back to me confirming they added a note to my application apart from Surrey who said they wanted formal acknowledgement from my college about this. I emailed my tutor and received confirmation that she sent the email. However, since my tutor emailed them I'm still waiting for Surrey to respond and confirm its been acknowledged. Its been 2 days now.

However, today they rejected my application based on 'Combination of qualifications does not meet entry requirements'!!

I'm wondering if this was due to a lack of communication and they never acknowledged my Sub Dip or what? If I knew my qualifications wouldn't meet the entry requirements I wouldn't have applied - but a member of their faculty confirmed I was eligible beforehand?!

If you've got this far, what do I do? Are they allowed to do this??

Many thanks!
(edited 9 years ago)
Firstly, the uni are allowed to reject you without giving a reason, and just because they said your qualifications were acceptable via email does not mean they have to give you an offer.

However, in this circumstance, as you have nothing to lose, I would consider contacting the university again. Do you have copies of all your email correspondence with Surrey? I would contact them, explain what you were told via email, and remind them that you emailed about your qualifications, and your tutor has emailed additional evidence. The uni should at least acknowledge your tutor has contacted them. They can reconsider if a mistake has been made somewhere in the process.

Unless you received a written promise of an offer, they can still reject you, even if you technically meet their entry requirements (although in this case, the reason they have given is misleading).

If you really want to go to Surrey, it might be best to reapply once you have your results.
Reply 2
Hi thanks for your help!

Oh, I did not know that, but the reason for rejection is the most confusing, which make me think they never added the Sub Dip to my application before they considered it.

Also, yes, I haven't deleted any of my emails with the Uni including when I initially emailed them in Nov. If I wanted to reapply - wouldn't I have to wait a year?
Original post by Cool_Boff
Hi thanks for your help!

Oh, I did not know that, but the reason for rejection is the most confusing, which make me think they never added the Sub Dip to my application before they considered it.

Also, yes, I haven't deleted any of my emails with the Uni including when I initially emailed them in Nov. If I wanted to reapply - wouldn't I have to wait a year?

You would have to wait a year to reapply, so it's only worth doing if you really love the university.

I agree the reason for rejection is confusing, and that's why I suggested it might be worth contacting the uni- normally I wouldn't suggest this as it's pointless, but it does seem like they might have missed something. They do not have to take information not on your UCAS form into consideration, though, but it seems weird for them to ask for this information and then ignore it.
Reply 4
Oh right, this already a deferred placement aha, don't want to wait 2 years, but Surrey was my no.1 choice next to Royal Holloway (Still haven't heard back from).

Really?!! This is so annoying - my college has messed me up so bad. I told them many time I would be achieving a Sub Dip but she was adamant on refusing based on what was on the college system! Argh - to be honest, hasn't the college lied about my qualifications in this case, they wrote down a certificate when I'll be getting a Sub Dip... This ordeal has been very frustrating as I know that if Uni's take this at face value - a certificate won't get me into any of the Uni's, it has to be a Sub Dip, which is why I'm doing the fast track.
Oh right, this already a deferred placement aha, don't want to wait 2 years, but Surrey was my no.1 choice next to Royal Holloway (Still haven't heard back from).

Really?!! This is so annoying - my college has messed me up so bad. I told them many time I would be achieving a Sub Dip but she was adamant on refusing based on what was on the college system! Argh - to be honest, hasn't the college lied about my qualifications in this case, they wrote down a certificate when I'll be getting a Sub Dip... This ordeal has been very frustrating as I know that if Uni's take this at face value - a certificate won't get me into any of the Uni's, it has to be a Sub Dip, which is why I'm doing the fast track.

You definitely have a case if they've told you that your qualifications are fine, and then rejected you of that reason! Yes, they don't HAVE to give you an offer just because they've said your eligible, but they can't give grades as a reason to reject you when its them who's said your grades will be ok in the first place! I would definitely ring or email them

It's a general rule. However, to ask someone to go to the trouble of getting their tutor to email the uni and then ignore the information would be very unusual.

I do think the situation is a massive error on your college's part and they should have thought through the implications of the situation better. I do think they have badly advised you in this case, but unfortunately, there's not much they can do about it now.

I went to uni when I was 20, and it was a good experience, but I can see why you wouldn't want to take a year out because of a mess that is really of your college's making. Hopefully Royal Holloway give you an offer :smile:

Original post by Physflop
You definitely have a case if they've told you that your qualifications are fine, and then rejected you of that reason! Yes, they don't HAVE to give you an offer just because they've said your eligible, but they can't give grades as a reason to reject you when its them who's said your grades will be ok in the first place! I would definitely ring or email them

Technically, they can give whatever reason they like, as in it's not illegal/against UCAS rules, but it is bad practice.
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
It's a general rule. However, to ask someone to go to the trouble of getting their tutor to email the uni and then ignore the information would be very unusual.

I do think the situation is a massive error on your college's part and they should have thought through the implications of the situation better. I do think they have badly advised you in this case, but unfortunately, there's not much they can do about it now.

I went to uni when I was 20, and it was a good experience, but I can see why you wouldn't want to take a year out because of a mess that is really of your college's making. Hopefully Royal Holloway give you an offer :smile:

Technically, they can give whatever reason they like, as in it's not illegal/against UCAS rules, but it is bad practice.

Yes they can give whatever reason, but if they've espressly told you before hand that you meet requirements, then you have a right to Challenge them if they change their minds. I wasn't talking about legalities
Yes they can give whatever reason, but if they've espressly told you before hand that you meet requirements, then you have a right to Challenge them if they change their minds. I wasn't talking about legalities

I was specifically responding to the point where you said "can't give your grades as a reason" just to make it totally clear. I agree OP should question their decision though.
I was specifically responding to the point where you said "can't give your grades as a reason" just to make it totally clear. I agree OP should question their decision though.

Obviously they can legally do whatever they please but they can't really use grades as a reason in this case. It's pure and simple, if you meet academic requirements then you meet the academic requirements!
"I contacted Uni of Surrey and told them my qualifications and I hoped to apply to there Computing with Information Technology course. They asked for the units I was taking and finally said that I was "eligible to apply with the qualifications". When the time came to submit my UCAS I put the qualifications I was going to be achieving as IT Sub Dip. However, the college made me change it to IT Certificate as that was what I was 'officially' taking and said they would add it to my personal reference about the circumstance. After it was sent off I manually emailed every Uni telling them to treat the Cert as a Sub Dip. Surrey said they wanted formal acknowledgement from my college about this. I emailed my tutor and received confirmation that she sent the email. However, since my tutor emailed them I received no acknowledgment from Surrey.

Today they rejected my application based on 'Combination of qualifications does not meet entry requirements'!
If I knew my qualifications wouldn't meet the entry requirements I wouldn't have applied - but a member of their faculty confirmed I was eligible beforehand."

Just email this to Surrey inquiring why exactly you were rejected (obviously rephrase some parts and check for all your spelling/typos)

Obviously they can legally do whatever they please but they can't really use grades as a reason in this case. It's pure and simple, if you meet academic requirements then you meet the academic requirements!

The thing is, when giving rejections and offers, there are no real rules about what universities can do, and I felt your post could have been read as saying the university broke UCAS rules, when they didn't. If a university does break UCAS rules, there are specific processes an applicant can follow, but they don't apply in this case. That's why I responded as I did.
The thing is, when giving rejections and offers, there are no real rules about what universities can do, and I felt your post could have been read as saying the university broke UCAS rules, when they didn't. If a university does break UCAS rules, there are specific processes an applicant can follow, but they don't apply in this case. That's why I responded as I did.

Nope didn't mean that. Just that it's definitely a case for an appeal. I've been through the ucas process 3 times now so I'm used to it!
For reference for anyone in your situation in future.

Do as your college asks and as soon as you get access to Track email [email protected] explaining that your quals were entered incorrectly. They'll amend your pending qualifications on the system which might have been enough to prevent any confusion.

You then technically also have to contact each uni to notify them of the mistake and correction but if you've emailed ucas the day you app was processed then you get in before most unis will have even looked (and describing the change as down to your own mistake should also mean no requirement to involve your tutors).

OP fingers crossed you get somewhere with surrey. It does sound like there has been a mix up so it's worth your time chasing for clarification/reconsideration.
Nope didn't mean that. Just that it's definitely a case for an appeal. I've been through the ucas process 3 times now so I'm used to it!

I'm going to leave this now, as it's not really helpful to the OP. I just think sometimes posters (not specifically you) have to be a bit careful as to how they phrase things. In this case, OP needs to be polite to Surrey, as he's relying on them being willing to check if a mistake has been made. If he had misunderstood your post, he could have gone in all guns blazing and Surrey could have chosen not to bother investigating.
Reply 15
Original post by PQ
For reference for anyone in your situation in future.

Do as your college asks and as soon as you get access to Track email [email protected] explaining that your quals were entered incorrectly. They'll amend your pending qualifications on the system which might have been enough to prevent any confusion.

You then technically also have to contact each uni to notify them of the mistake and correction but if you've emailed ucas the day you app was processed then you get in before most unis will have even looked (and describing the change as down to your own mistake should also mean no requirement to involve your tutors).

OP fingers crossed you get somewhere with surrey. It does sound like there has been a mix up so it's worth your time chasing for clarification/reconsideration.

Ohh, thanks for this - if only I knew about this process earlier! :mad:
I decided to directly email each Uni without doing it through UCAS. Thanks!

Just to inform the others aha, I'm not going to go guns in blazing as that would certainly eradicate any possibility of me getting in. I mean, it could have been genuine and they did get the Sub Dip email and still refused. But I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what they say :smile:
Ohh, thanks for this - if only I knew about this process earlier! :mad:
I decided to directly email each Uni without doing it through UCAS. Thanks!

Just to inform the others aha, I'm not going to go guns in blazing as that would certainly eradicate any possibility of me getting in. I mean, it could have been genuine and they did get the Sub Dip email and still refused. But I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what they say :smile:

Good Luck and let us know how you get on :smile:
Reply 17
Great news guys, they confirmed they never got the email from my tutor hence never added it to my application. Now they're giving it another review and will let me know on Monday! :smile:
Great news guys, they confirmed they never got the email from my tutor hence never added it to my application. Now they're giving it another review and will let me know on Monday! :smile:

That's amazing! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending