The Student Room Group

I think that everyone with an Oxbridge degree is elitist.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by Asklepios
Ahaha I see :tongue: I do agree with you that the aptitude of the person (and other personal factors) matter much more than simply having an Oxbridge degree. But they are good universities and this will help in terms of opportunities and "push to achieve." Although I guess the extent of the Oxbridge advantage is debatable.

In the first page, you linked average starting salaries. Now let's be honest - big high-paying jobs in finance require you to be numerate and have a logical way of thinking but they don't necessarily need insane intelligence of any sort. If we look at success in academia instead as a measure of graduate performance, things may look different.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah definitely, no doubt about that. I know people who left my college at Cambridge and made it to several hundred thousand pound a year salaries within a few years and I know other people from small universities that no one has ever heard of in Europe who have done even better!
Original post by 7589200
lol well sort of. Its not a rich part of the country.

This lot were the scariest fans I have ever seen! Which parts are the good and bad parts of the city?
Reply 122
Original post by Blitzkrieg15
This lot were the scariest fans I have ever seen! Which parts are the good and bad parts of the city?

Stick a pin over Senate House. Thats 'good'. Then draw circles outwards, those are increasing degrees of bad. However, South Cambridge has some nice parts to it.
Original post by 7589200
Ahh lol Nah, apparently after my year group we had an absolutely terrible time and its now one of the worst colleges for Medicine in terms of exam results!

Nothing has changed about my attitudes towards Oxbridge, I was just hoping to get a few people into my thread so theyd talk about stuff.

Ive never felt that Oxbridge is elitist baring one or two small groups of people, mostly in Oxford rather than Cambridge. Ive always thought the degree is as precious and as significant as what the holder is willing to put it to use doing. And most of the people I know are pretty down-to-earth nice people!

I'm kind of confused now, were you trolling/devils advocating?
Original post by 7589200
Stick a pin over Senate House. Thats 'good'. Then draw circles outwards, those are increasing degrees of bad. However, South Cambridge has some nice parts to it.

Do the chavs come into the university grounds?
Reply 125
Original post by james22
I'm kind of confused now, were you trolling/devils advocating?

Well with regards to the original post, yes. Ive said that several times now.

With regard to our argument over how unfair it is when applying from a good school, definitely not.

What is this supposed to show?
Original post by 7589200
Most of them are so in your face about it! They think they're better than everyone else at every other university.

What they don't understand is that in the real world their degree doesn't really mean anything.

I disagree that everyone at Oxbridge is elitist, but they may well be proud of being Oxbridge educated, who wouldn't be? I am proud of attending one of the Russell Group universities, but I do sense that others in my position have a cold and hidden laughter of graduates of the ex-polys.
Original post by james22
What is this supposed to show?

Exactly as the article says. Cambridge has produced more billionaires than any other British (or European or Asian) uni. Is it a coincidence? I personally think it is a combination of an excellent education system and extremely talented undergrads, which could by the way justify some of the pride they feel for being oxbridge-educated!
Original post by SheldorOfAzeroth
Exactly as the article says. Cambridge has produced more billionaires than any other British (or European or Asian) uni. Is it a coincidence? I personally think it is a combination of an excellent education system and extremely talented undergrads, which could by the way justify some of the pride they feel for being oxbridge-educated!

right - and it chose to illustrate the point with Lord John Sainsbury who inherited the Sainsbury supermarket chain and Baron David Thomson who inherited the Thomson media corporation.
Original post by Joinedup
right - and it chose to illustrate the point with Lord John Sainsbury who inherited the Sainsbury supermarket chain and Baron David Thomson who inherited the Thomson media corporation.

It's David Sainsbury (ex King's, Cambridge, and also Chancellor of Cambridge) - he "only" has 6% of it... most of the rest of his shares went in trust to charity.

John Sainsbury went to Oxford.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Joinedup

If you read my post properly and apply some logic (!), you will realise that it is a fact that Cambridge produces a high number of billionaires and that is ALL that the article is claiming i.e. it is not 'choosing to illustrate' anything other than that basic fact.
As mentioned earlier, I PERSONALLY think it is the product of a great system and great people based on my experience of meeting so many entrepreneurs/ inspiring people here, and 2 of the billionaires having inherited their wealth does not change my opinion.
Original post by jneill
It's David Sainsbury (ex King's, Cambridge, and also Chancellor of Cambridge) - he "only" has 6% of it... most of the rest of his shares went in trust to charity.

John Sainsbury went to Oxford.

My bad, Got the wrong public school Oxbridge Sainsbury heir.

Clearly this changes everything.
Original post by 7589200
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/9532912/Best-universities-for-high-starting-salaries.html?frame=2334366

This is a list of the 'Best Universities For High Starting Salaries'

1. LSE
2. Imperial
3. St Georges
4. UCL
5. RVC

And everyone knows that the majority of people only get into Oxbridge due to their wealthy backgrounds. These salaries are despite them fully utilising their family connections in industry. And they still couldn't get into the top 5.

Look at the new stats. Cambridge grads are the most wanted in the whole world now.
I got an offer from Cambridge this year.
You have no idea what your talking about. I went to state school, no one in my family has been to uni, im not the queens grandson and we dont have ****loads of money. I believe that i got in because i was good enough at maths and thats it. People think there are these secret magic formulas or behind the scenes crap when there isnt. 'Most' of the people are normal. Not saying that you wont find wealthy or rich people there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending