The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Mayflower Accommodation

can anybody comment on Mayflower Accommodation?
I think Mayflower is the brand spanking new accommodation complex, if I'm not mistaken - so no-one here is liable to have had any experience of it, this is the first year it will be open to students. :yy:
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
I live there at the moment and it's pretty good, I'm pleased that I ended up here. There were a LOT of teething problems to start with (lifts out of order for days, no water for hours at a time, fire alarms for absolutely no reason etc.) but they've largely been addressed now. Haven't had any issues for a long time so that's good.

The rooms are really nice, very modern and well finished. There's loads of storage space, plug sockets etc so that's nice. Each room has an ensuite bathroom which is basically a self contained all in one type of thing. The bathrooms are a bit short on storage space (no cupboard or anything) which can be a bit of a pain, but it's really not a big problem.

In our kitchen we've got a big table, 8 chairs, then 3 sofa type chairs with a little coffee table. There're enough cupboard for everyone to have around 1 and a half/2 each. We've got 2 ovens with 4 burners on top of each. The kitchen came equipped with a hoover, a dustpan and brush, 2 microwaves, a kettle and an ironing board.

There's a laundry room in one of the blocks with a decent number of washing machines and tumble dryers. It can get a little crowded sometimes (it was a ****ing nightmare when we moved in, mainly because it was delayed so everybody had a huge backlog of washing) but you can log onto a website which tells you how many machines are free to save you a trip when it's busy.

Overall I'd really recommend it, especially because when you move in (presumably next year?) the gym and the shop will be up and running and you'll get the full experience.
Reply 3
To add to the previous post, I also currently live in Mayflower and I would say it's redeeming quality is the fact it is a stones throw from the major nightclubs in Soton as well as the City Centre. A downside is that, unlike other halls, it lacks any green spaces and can be a little noisy (traffic etc). However, it's very modern and pleasant to live in and I really enjoyed Freshers week here, so I would personally recommend (particularly as you'll have an on-site gym and shop by then, that we were meant to have!)
Can anyone show me pictures of the rooms

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ariel fan
Can anyone show me pictures of the rooms

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi there, you can tour round Mayflower Halls using our Virtual Open Day. We hope this helps.
Reply 6
I'm planning to apply to these halls then regularly commute to Winchester School of Art where my course is based.
A) Do you know of any students that study at WSA and do this?
B) Are the people in Mayflower quite outgoing as it's in the heart of they city centre?
Original post by _mondie
I'm planning to apply to these halls then regularly commute to Winchester School of Art where my course is based.
A) Do you know of any students that study at WSA and do this?
B) Are the people in Mayflower quite outgoing as it's in the heart of they city centre?

A) Mayflower only opened this year and is the furthest hall away from WSA so I don't think it's likely there will be anyone with experience of this - however with it being right next to the station (and a few minutes from the city centre where the Winchester bus goes from) it is probably a good place to commute from.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending