The Student Room Group

Best beginner gym workout?

To gain strength and muscle.
i am 5ft9in
11 stone

Basically i have no strength.

Anyone recommend a workout routine. Or how you gained strength. Link your blog if you started with very little strength. So i can read up.
Anyone recommend one. Like one they used. So much to chose from.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
If its muscle you want to gain, and you're not aiming to lose weight, you should focus on weight training. Assuming you go to a proper gym, the gym should have a variety of different weight machines. For a beginner, use these machines doing about 5 reps of 10. Wouldn't spend more than an hour and a half doing this, about three times a week. At the end of the workout, I'd recommend doing at least ten minutes of cardio - treadmill, cross trainer, rowing machine, that sort of thing - just so you're getting some cardio in. Oh, and make sure you do some cool down stretches, or man you're gonna hurt the next day. Good luck!
Save yourself 6 moths of noob workouts and go straight to stronglifts 5x5, you will make gains for days
Original post by kingcobra007
Save yourself 6 moths of noob workouts and go straight to stronglifts 5x5, you will make gains for days

But I can't lift f all. I'm not strong. Never done weight training. Just play a lot of sports like football so done alot of cardio.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bmjordan
If its muscle you want to gain, and you're not aiming to lose weight, you should focus on weight training. Assuming you go to a proper gym, the gym should have a variety of different weight machines. For a beginner, use these machines doing about 5 reps of 10. Wouldn't spend more than an hour and a half doing this, about three times a week. At the end of the workout, I'd recommend doing at least ten minutes of cardio - treadmill, cross trainer, rowing machine, that sort of thing - just so you're getting some cardio in. Oh, and make sure you do some cool down stretches, or man you're gonna hurt the next day. Good luck!

Yh I go to a proper gym...Thanks for the reply.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by vivaronaldoo
Yh I go to a proper gym...Thanks for the reply.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're welcome. Don't worry if you've never lifted before, everyone starts somewhere. Just start by using weight machines rather than free-weights (dumbbells). You'll being to build up muscles pretty soon :smile:
But I can't lift f all. I'm not strong. Never done weight training. Just play a lot of sports like football so done alot of cardio.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Stronglifts is a programme designed for everyone from beginners to experienced lifters. I started on the bar with no weights and slowly worked my way up, thats the ethos of stronglifts
Reply 8
Original post by kingcobra007

Simply this

I spent time on a split and it bored me.

I wanted to do the big lifts.

A routine focussed around core movements is the one.
Original post by zKlown
Simply this

I spent time on a split and it bored me.

I wanted to do the big lifts.

A routine focussed around core movements is the one.

Thing is I don't feel comfortable at the gym yet. Just that all the big people always on the free weights. In particular the time I go gym.

Can I do something similar with dumbells just to start of. Then after a month when I'm more comfortable. Go do stronglifts.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Thing is I don't feel comfortable at the gym yet. Just that all the big people always on the free weights. In particular the time I go gym.

Can I do something similar with dumbells just to start of. Then after a month when I'm more comfortable. Go do stronglifts.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You do what you want mate, but if you're serious, you'll start with a serious workout.

Who cares what size people are, don't make them better than you. Most of them will just respect you for wanting to better yourself.

I'm tiny and weak myself compared to most the guys in my gym, you have no reason to feel uncomfortable.
In my experience it's usually the bigger and stronger guys in the gym that are the nicest/most friendly (assuming you don't walk in and act a complete **** and curl in the rack etc). If you're big and strong and you know you're genuinely big and strong, you have nothing to try and prove to anybody and you lost your ego a long time a go.
Reply 12
Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo
In my experience it's usually the bigger and stronger guys in the gym that are the nicest/most friendly (assuming you don't walk in and act a complete **** and curl in the rack etc). If you're big and strong and you know you're genuinely big and strong, you have nothing to try and prove to anybody and you lost your ego a long time a go.

I agree with this tbh

Most the people I chat to in the gym are the strongest guys.

Just get stuck in OP, don't be messing around doing any fancy workouts with dumbells, stick to simple movements like squats, deads and bench.
You can't really go far wrong with Stronglifts 5x5. Have a read of his website and he tells you step by step what you'll be doing for the first 12 weeks, how you'll do the exercises etc. It's designed for people who've never lifted anything before ever, starting on low-ish weights and moving up, and alternating between five key exercises.

I was quite anxious to start with too and so started with the machines, then added dumbbell exercises, then went to barbells. From an efficiency point of view just starting on a proven programme like Stronglifts 5x5 or ICF (which is like Stronglifts but requires more time and dedication, simply put), and you can't go too far wrong. You can always ask someone there if you don't think what you're doing is right.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 14
Someone didn't read the FAQ :tongue: You would still benefit from doing so

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can but its a waste of time, sometimes you just have to get stuck in or go during evenings/times when its quiet
TSR people will tell you to dirty bulk and do a powerlifter's routine

It's actually a trap though, like crabs in a bucket they're trying to pull you back down to their level. Clean bulk and do a pull/push/leg day type program. It is true what other posters have said, the bigger guys do tend to have nicer personalities so don't worry about going in.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by BKS
Someone didn't read the FAQ :tongue: You would still benefit from doing so

This

Original post by yo radical one
TSR people will tell you to dirty bulk and do a powerlifter's routine

No-one promotes a "dirty" bulk

It's actually a trap though, like crabs in a bucket they're trying to pull you back down to their level. Clean bulk and do a pull/push/leg day type program. It is true what other posters have said, the bigger guys do tend to have nicer personalities so don't worry about going in.

How is PPL with no programming, in which most people make it up, better than a set out routine with clear progressions and layouts?

Quick Reply

Latest