The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by fbrep2012
Either you guys are over-ambitious or I am too content. There aren't loads of jobs offering 30k for graduates fresh out of uni. I think anywhere between £20k - £27k is acceptable and realistic... as well as good.

Was kind of thinking the same thing. I'm interning at £20k at the moment, but I'm not looking at much more than £23k immediately after uni even for an incredibly competitive tech position... Hell, the PhD offers are only just £28k! How anybody at 21 is going to be doing that I'm not too sure unless they know somebody.
30k is a good salary at 21.

20k is a decent salary and anything below 20k is a pittance. You should be looking to job hop as soon as possible if you're 21 and under 20k.
Original post by fbrep2012
Either you guys are over-ambitious or I am too content. There aren't loads of jobs offering 30k for graduates fresh out of uni. I think anywhere between £20k - £27k is acceptable and realistic... as well as good.

Sales based roles can get a guy straight out of uni on 30k first year and 100k in 5 years.
Reply 43
Again as some people have posted it really does depend on what your degree is , and whether your working for a large or small company ect.. But I would say around £30,000 if you have a 2:1 or a first...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
Original post by CJKay
Was kind of thinking the same thing. I'm interning at £20k at the moment, but I'm not looking at much more than £23k immediately after uni even for an incredibly competitive tech position... Hell, the PhD offers are only just £28k! How anybody at 21 is going to be doing that I'm not too sure unless they know somebody.

Pretty much any grad scheme starts on £28k, even the public sector after the cuts offers over £27k.
Reply 46
Original post by Abdul-Karim

What jobs offer that straight > uni?
Original post by HarryDn
What jobs offer that straight > uni?

Investment Banking
Reply 48
Investment Banking

Not as salary.
Reply 49
Original post by jam277
Sales based roles can get a guy straight out of uni on 30k first year and 100k in 5 years.

If you'll believe that then you're probably ripe for a career in sales. Sure, some may achieve those advertised numbers.. most won't even come close. Plus the stress, hours and travel involved lead to a high staff turnover within sales.
Original post by Quady
Not as salary.

50k is the starting base salary for FO roles (confirmed), bonuses can take that up to over 65k.
Reply 51
50k is the starting base salary for FO roles (confirmed), bonuses can take that up to over 65k.

What does confirmed mean?

I thought even FO was more like £45k, then 50%+ bonus.

What would you say is a great salary for a 21 year old and where would you get that?
Original post by Quady
What does confirmed mean?

I thought even FO was more like £45k, then 50%+ bonus.

What would you say is a great salary for a 21 year old and where would you get that?

£50k is a great salary, if you can break into those professions. Work your way up from there.
Reply 53
£50k is a great salary, if you can break into those professions. Work your way up from there.

So what would a good salary be? :P

Or is good the same as great to you :P
Original post by Quady
So what would a good salary be? :P

Or is good the same as great to you :P

35k+ would be enough to live a fairly moderate lifestyle and have a certain level of financial independence in London.
Reply 55

Which firms/graduate roles out of interest? And what kind of candidates would one be up against? :cookie:
Reply 56
Original post by Reue
If you'll believe that then you're probably ripe for a career in sales. Sure, some may achieve those advertised numbers.. most won't even come close. Plus the stress, hours and travel involved lead to a high staff turnover within sales.

Back at uni, I tried out for some sales door to door roles that advertised six figures for those who worked hard enough... people were paid on commission and I found out from a guy who was working there you'd be lucky to make 5k :lol:
Original post by HarryDn
Which firms/graduate roles out of interest? And what kind of candidates would one be up against? :cookie:

Front Office MM Boutiques/Bulge Brackets Investment Banks. The best in Europe: Oxbridge/LSE/Warwick/ICL/UCL and European Business Schools.
Reply 58
Front Office MM Boutiques/Bulge Brackets Investment Banks. The best in Europe: Oxbridge/LSE/Warwick/ICL/UCL and European Business Schools.

IDK much about investment banking, but wouldn't you be up against candidates with at least a few years of experience for those roles too (so unrealistic apart from First at Oxbridge type candidates) or are they only open to those fresh out of uni?

Thx for the rep if it was you btw, will + rep on recharge bro :yep:
Original post by HarryDn
IDK much about investment banking, but wouldn't you be up against candidates with at least a few years of experience for those roles too (so unrealistic apart from First at Oxbridge type candidates) or are they only open to those fresh out of uni?

Thx for the rep if it was you btw, will + rep on recharge bro :yep:

Not on the graduate programmes. Most people do have experience when going for those grad roles i.e intenrships etc.. so they're are generally some unspoke pre-requisites to entering these professions. It's not unrealistic at all, you have a good shot if you attend a target/semi-target, i.e I attend a semi-target university for the industry and have a spring internship offer at a BB investment bank and have already interned pre-uni during the summer at a 2nd tier Investment Bank.

Just about commitment, grind and dedication, for the most part whilst being inquisitive, showing inter-personal ability and developing a brand for yourself.

Latest

Trending

Trending