The Student Room Group

AS Chemistry- helping each other out!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by byakuya99
PLeeeaseeeee!!! HELP ME!!!

I cant help you, that would be illegal and get me and you both banned permanently from TSR. Feels sort of cruel since I have the mock paper in front of me now :biggrin:.
Original post by Kadak
I cant help you, that would be illegal and get me and you both banned permanently from TSR. Feels sort of cruel since I have the mock paper in front of me now :biggrin:.

Not answers just advice on topics PLEASE!!!
Reply 582
Original post by zhang-liao
Past papers, past papers and even more past papers

Try hitting A's and understand where you go wrong in each and every question and what they expect from you :smile: Looks at examiner reports as well since they provide you examiner tips which help you :smile:

I'm currently on Edexcel too :smile: What exactly are you struggling with?

I'd recommend using Chemrevise and the fat blue Edexcel textbook and the CGP for extra additional help :smile:

I guess I'm struggling to connect stuff I've learnt with the questions that I get in tests so I should probs do lots of past papers to deal with that. We have our controlled assessment soon :\

Yeah I use the big fat textbook and the CGP :smile: I'll have a look at Chemrevise thanks
Original post by ergo30
I guess I'm struggling to connect stuff I've learnt with the questions that I get in tests so I should probs do lots of past papers to deal with that. We have our controlled assessment soon :\

Yeah I use the big fat textbook and the CGP :smile: I'll have a look at Chemrevise thanks

:hugs: Past papers will defintely help you understand where you go wrong and what steps you can take steps to improve your grades :smile:

You're welcome :smile:
Hi does anyone here have the Biology aqa as paper that was sat in 2014 may/june time? Need some advice how to answer some of the questions
Original post by zara1234567
Hi does anyone here have the Biology aqa as paper that was sat in 2014 may/june time? Need some advice how to answer some of the questions

If it ain't on the AQA Filestore, we can't discuss it here.
As a side note, if you want advice on Biology, I'​d ask on a Biology forum...
I have my mock today! (salters)
I'm sure I'll have a tonne of questions come next week :/
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile
Got a U in my recent mock and we did the 2014 paper. Need help with how much AS chemistry revision I should do everyday in order to get an A.I'm also getting confused by nomenclature and isomers, can anyone help me with this?

Give me a message with some specific question if you want, I'm an a2 chem student :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hayley Williams
Give me a message with some specific question if you want, I'm an a2 chem student :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you know any good websites that are organic chemistry heavy ?
Original post by Kadak
Do you know any good websites that are organic chemistry heavy ?

I don't have a website as they are very unreliable for organic chemistry but the OCR a2 textbook is the bomb! It displays the organic reaction very simply and it has an amazing organic reaction flow chart, which is life changing! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by haemo
Anyone else love organic chemistry?

We're doing nitriles, carboxylic acids, amines, ketones, alcohols and aldehydes which are amazing once you learn and understand alkanes, alkenes and haloalkanes.

I do it the branch of chemistry I love and I can't wait to study it further at degree level :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone doing the chemistry Olympiad
Original post by Super199
Anyone doing the chemistry Olympiad

Yep I am, I think a few of us here are doing that :smile:
Original post by haemo
Anyone else love organic chemistry?

We're doing nitriles, carboxylic acids, amines, ketones, alcohols and aldehydes which are amazing once you learn and understand alkanes, alkenes and haloalkanes.

I haven't much so far for Organic Chemistry (except Halogenoalkanes, Alkanes and Alkenes in Unit 1) but I'm really interested though. Can't wait for Unit 2 Organics :lol:

I'm on Edexcel btw :colondollar:
Hi everyone! could someone please help me ... In energetics when working out the enthalpy of neutralisation, how do you work it out when the concentrations for the acid and alkali are different? Thanks I'd appreciate any help :smile:
Right can someone help me out. Fairly simple but I can't remember how it is done.

Let's say you have 1-chloropropane the molecular formula or whatever it is called is
CH3CH2CH2Cl

How do you write it for 2-chloropropane?

Is it CH3CHClCH2
Right can someone help me out. Fairly simple but I can't remember how it is done.

Let's say you have 1-chloropropane the molecular formula or whatever it is called is
CH3CH2CH2Cl

How do you write it for 2-chloropropane?

Is it CH3CHClCH2

CH3 (the end bit), CHCl (the middle) and then CH3 (the other end bit)

So it'd be CH3CHClCH3
CH3 (the end bit), CHCl (the middle) and then CH3 (the other end bit)

So it'd be CH3CHClCH3

Yh got it cheers, have you done free radical substitution by any chance?
Yh got it cheers, have you done free radical substitution by any chance?

Yep, in Unit 1 :smile:
Yep, in Unit 1 :smile:

I need some help on it.
Question: If an excess of methane is used CH3Cl is the major product. Suggest why by reference to the steps in the mechanism.

I am thinking it has something to do with the fact if there is an excess of methane the chlorine radical is more likely to collide with it so makes CH3Cl?

Quick Reply

Latest