The Student Room Group

GCSE, How to study a poem?

Hello everybody,
So to simplify it, I hate English Literature. However I really want to achieve an A*, I already got a C, and now doing a resit. So I'am analysing Songs of Ourself, my question is how the hell do you "study' a poem, not unseen. What process do you normally use? From A to B, kudos to anyone who can answer me.

Happy Studying
Reply 1
Original post by AlphaWolfZ
Hello everybody,
So to simplify it, I hate English Literature. However I really want to achieve an A*, I already got a C, and now doing a resit. So I'am analysing Songs of Ourself, my question is how the hell do you "study' a poem, not unseen. What process do you normally use? From A to B, kudos to anyone who can answer me.

Happy Studying

I'll admit that it's been a while since I did English lit, but I remember that when we did the poetry unit we went through each poem and underlined all the techniques and made notes about their effect in the margins, and notes about the overall theme etc of the poem, so having a copy of the poem you can write on and going through this is probably a good place to start! Then maybe get a teacher if you can to check through your annotations and see if you've missed anything important? A good next step from there would be trying to learn your annotations and then doing practice questions (either with or without your annotated copy to start, depending on how confident you feel). Hope this maybe helps a bit, good luck! :smile:
Reply 2
Thank you so much, but just so you know, I'am homeschooled, so no luck about the teachers :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by AlphaWolfZ
Thank you so much, but just so you know, I'am homeschooled, so no luck about the teachers :smile:

You might be able to find some stuff online then about the poems (carefully, because you only want GCSE level stuff!), or maybe there are some people on tsr who could help you out. I think GCSE bitesize has some bits of useful information for the poems, depending on your exam board, they might be worth taking a look at (here) :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending