The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheGemini
Why didn't I get a quote? :'(

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same here :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Edminzodo
I want to feel that way, too. Do you make notes?

I do, but I kind of realised they're really useless and take up too much of my time. So I only make them for Economics ie to learn all the content before the real exam because there's no textbook and then I don't make them for subjects where the textbook is sufficient ie every other subject. I scribble little notes whilst reading that are mostly illegible to see if I can recite what I've just read but that's about it :smile: I also make notes very early prior to the exam to force myself to understand something if I didn't particularly understand it in class, just for general independent study :tongue: you?

I think whether or not I make full-fledged notes depends on my mood and whether I have enough time to :P
Original post by thatawesomekid
Interesting... I'm aiming for straight A*'s

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck :smile: GCSEs?
Original post by Magnesium
I do, but I kind of realised they're really useless and take up too much of my time. So I only make them for Economics ie to learn all the content before the real exam because there's no textbook and then I don't make them for subjects where the textbook is sufficient ie every other subject. I scribble little notes whilst reading that are mostly illegible to see if I can recite what I've just read but that's about it :smile: I also make notes very early prior to the exam to force myself to understand something if I didn't particularly understand it in class, just for general independent study :tongue: you?

I think whether or not I make full-fledged notes depends on my mood and whether I have enough time to :P

I never really made notes at GCSE, although I did manage to condense all of my in-depth History studies to three spider diagrams. I made a flippy question book for Biology and had a few notecards for Physics, but I generally used brightly coloured spider diagrams and past papers. I've got a notebook for extra Economics notes, though, and a book of Kanji to learn. But you're lucky in the sense that you do sciencey stuff and you don't need notes as much! I still haven't figured out how to learn grammar for languages . . .
I never really made notes at GCSE, although I did manage to condense all of my in-depth History studies to three spider diagrams. I made a flippy question book for Biology and had a few notecards for Physics, but I generally used brightly coloured spider diagrams and past papers. I've got a notebook for extra Economics notes, though, and a book of Kanji to learn. But you're lucky in the sense that you do sciencey stuff and you don't need notes as much! I still haven't figured out how to learn grammar for languages . . .

Ooh I made notes for all my GCSE topics and thinking back, it was a lot of work for GCSEs :P Past papers are the best way to go :smile: How do you use notebooks :eek: I get so precious when I buy a new notebook and everything in it has to be neat, so neat that I just end up not using it -_-

I am haha :smile: Hmm... memorising kanji is hard. For a lot of reading, you can learn that from reading texts that are in kanji and constantly practicing your "recognising" skills in terms of recalling symbols. If you can, type up the words (even though it may take a while) into things like studystack or memrise or even just create little flash cards with the english and pronouncation on the reverse to see if you get it right when you see the symbol. For writing, make up your own titles and write essays in your own time. That's how I memorised chinese :P Also, if you're watching a show, watch it dubbed in japanese and/or with japanese subtitles!
Ooh I made notes for all my GCSE topics and thinking back, it was a lot of work for GCSEs :P Past papers are the best way to go :smile: How do you use notebooks :eek: I get so precious when I buy a new notebook and everything in it has to be neat, so neat that I just end up not using it -_-

I am haha :smile: Hmm... memorising kanji is hard. For a lot of reading, you can learn that from reading texts that are in kanji and constantly practicing your "recognising" skills in terms of recalling symbols. If you can, type up the words (even though it may take a while) into things like studystack or memrise or even just create little flash cards with the english and pronouncation on the reverse to see if you get it right when you see the symbol. For writing, make up your own titles and write essays in your own time. That's how I memorised chinese :P Also, if you're watching a show, watch it dubbed in japanese and/or with japanese subtitles!

I'm glad I didn't! Although to be honest, I did the least work for Chemistry and Latin and those were the ones I got As in so maybe I should learn my lesson . . . I was pretty pleased because I got 78% in a History test I forgot to revise for! Woo. I've downloaded some revision applications, and am starting to type up notes on my laptop, which is actually really helpful. I might print off a few Macroeconomics papers soon. I use Muji flip books! And my notes will be neat! I have notebooks for everything this year . . . ! You?
Hi! Not too sure how this works, I'm very new to TSR, but this really caught my eye as I'm struggling a lot at the moment, especially with a2 exams looming..

Last year I got BCD for AS, and I've been through a lot of struggles. A day after results day I had major spinal surgery etc, and I haven't been in the right frame of mind ever since. But I'm really determined to make it to university.

The Uni's I've applied are asking for pretty high grades, ABB or BBB.

These are the grades I really want this year:
Photography: A
Religious Studies: B or A (I'm re-taking an AS unit)
Sociology: B

Somebody please help me out! Thank you!
I'm not normally one to post in TSR, I prefer to just read through posts :rolleyes:

But this sounds like just the motivation I need to actually achieve the grades I'm aiming for.

During my AS year, I didn't try as hard as I should have, and really underestimated the amount of effort and work that needs to go into A levels, especially since I would love to go into medicine at uni. I got A (Biology), B(Religious Studies), C (chemistry), and a D (in physics).

This has meant I've had to take a gap year, and apply after hopefully getting my grades :crossedf:
For A2 I decided to carry on with Biology, Chemistry and physics (surprisingly) and I need to get A*AA/AAA.
I will enter this.
I'd love to get a 2:1 in my introduction to theories and debates in education module. I find it the hardest one and I really hope to keep up the good work if I prove to myself I can do it just once.
Good luck :smile: GCSEs?

Yes and thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,

I love this competition. My goals are:

- All A*'s at GCSE (English literature and language, Maths. 3 sciences, Latin, Classical Civilisation, History and Spanish)
- Become Head Boy (or a Prefect)
- Get into Cambridge to do Classics.
Original post by TheGemini
Why didn't I get a quote? :'(

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry, I only did it for posts on this page, and didn't see yours! As you can see this competition is getting very popular and so I'm sorry for missing you out!

However, the information still applies for you! Puddles will PM you, probably on Monday! And in the meantime feel free to set up your blog and getting discussing in the discussion thread!

Best of luck!
x

x

Hi - can we keep this thread to the entries please! This helps us to keep on top of things!

You are more than welcome to use, and encouraged to use the discussion thread for this type of thing :smile:

Thanks!

Spoiler

Sorry for missing some of you out earlier! This competition has grown very quickly and so it's just taking time for us to all catch up with lots of entries :smile:

It's great to see all your enthusiam for this competition! Puddles the Monkey will PM you about verifying your current grades, on Monday, however, in the meantime, you can set up your blog in the GYG main forum, with your goals and to keep us all updated :smile: For discussing about this competition, and for tips and stuff, you can use the discussion thread, and if you need any help, the Study Help team are here to help you!
This is a brilliant competition.

Last Year in my AS, I took Geography in which I got an E in, Sociology in also I got an E and Applied ICT I got a C (Single Award).

I didn't decided to retake the year however decided to take up Double Award ICT and drop sociology and resit one unit of Geography .

I aim to get at least a A/B in ICT and a B in Geography. And I have applied to Uni to study Computing.
Hi guys!!

Just like how all of you are motivated I have achieved pretty low grades at AS level. I am aiming high for As or even A*s!! at the end of this year. I want to get into russell group universities!

I am liking this thread!
Can I enter this? I'd like to get A grades in Physics and Computing AS, and at least 90 UMS in all my maths modules I'm taking this year (c1/2/3/4 and d1/2)
Reply 158
Original post by Gingerbread101
:woo: Introducing TSR's new Grow your Grades Competition!! :woo:

Please keep this thread just for entries, head over to our discussion thread for chat

Need some motivation to get your grades where you want? For our brand new study help transformation competition, we're asking you whether there's one subject (or module if you're at uni) that you want to improve on.

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Keep us all updated about how you're progressing in that subject through your blog and share with the TSR community your high and low points, strategies for success, latest assessments, and get help and feedback!

Why should I enter?

Our Study Help team will be on hand to give you hints and tips on how to improve, along with help and motivation from the rest of TSR

Improve on your weakest subject to prepare for your exams

Share your experiences and gain advice from other participants

Plus on top of improving your grades, there's going to be great prizes for the entrants that...

Make the biggest change in their grades

Keep the best blog

Overcame the biggest hurdle

How to enter:

The closing date for entries is 9th February 2015

Reply to this thread to express your interest (remember to mention your goals!) :dumbells:

Email Puddles the Monkey a picture/proof of your current grades- she will then verify this to everyone else (so you don't have to post your details publicly).

Set up your blog here

The competition ends on GCSE Results day 2015

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Useful resources on TSR which can help you:
Study Help Forums
Study Planner
A* at A-Level Question Thread

If you want to improve your grades and have the chance to win great prizes, then enter here and start your blog!

Linked image copyright Matt Biddulph.

I would like to get an A in biology, psychology, maths and chemistry As level hopefully I'A please help !
Reply 159
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
:woo:

I'll PM you now :banana:

:bl:

Please and me

Latest

Trending

Trending