The Student Room Group

Applying For Different Subjects At Different Universities (PS help needed :))

I am considering applying for Economics and Management at Oxford and King's (not in this cycle) and Economics, Finance and Management at QMUL (or E & M at Royal Holloway). Then straight management at UCL and LSE.

How would I tailor my PS to cater for all of these? Realistically, if my PS mentions Economics AND Management will it hurt my chances at UCL and LSE if I go for only Management there? They don't offer E & M sadly.
Original post by Bobbitt
I am considering applying for Economics and Management at Oxford and King's (not in this cycle) and Economics, Finance and Management at QMUL (or E & M at Royal Holloway). Then straight management at UCL and LSE.

How would I tailor my PS to cater for all of these? Realistically, if my PS mentions Economics AND Management will it hurt my chances at UCL and LSE if I go for only Management there? They don't offer E & M sadly.

Decide what you really want and make a properly targeted application for that. Putting both in makes you look indecisive and ignorant of what the course is really about, since half the PS will be irrelevant.
Reply 2
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Decide what you really want and make a properly targeted application for that. Putting both in makes you look indecisive and ignorant of what the course is really about, since half the PS will be irrelevant.

I was under the impression that a lot of Economics & Management applicants at Oxford applied for Economics (but not Management, at I am) at other top unis, though, in the same cycle? :dontknow:

I'm interested in both subject areas; sadly, however, Economics & Management specifically isn't offered at a great deal of unis I would like to attend. Preferably, I'd like to stay in London, though I'd be willing to move to Oxford if I actually got a place as it would be an Oxford degree.
Original post by Bobbitt
I was under the impression that a lot of Economics & Management applicants at Oxford applied for Economics (but not Management, at I am) at other top unis, though, in the same cycle? :dontknow:

I'm interested in both subject areas; sadly, however, Economics & Management specifically isn't offered at a great deal of unis I would like to attend. Preferably, I'd like to stay in London, though I'd be willing to move to Oxford if I actually got a place as it would be an Oxford degree.

The standard advice would be to focus on what they have in common, then.
Reply 4
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
The standard advice would be to focus on what they have in common, then.

Thanks. Would that run the risk of "diluting" my application to those universities which I am applying to for the combination, though? (Oxford, King's and Royal Holloway).
Original post by Bobbitt
Thanks. Would that run the risk of "diluting" my application to those universities which I am applying to for the combination, though? (Oxford, King's and Royal Holloway).

Well, if you are leaving out half the course, then yes. There's no solution which won't have some disadvantages.
LSE want a PS 100% focused on the choice. You would be better off applying for economics at your other choices than management. Oxford would be used to a PS focused on economics too
Reply 7
Original post by *Interrobang*
LSE want a PS 100% focused on the choice. You would be better off applying for economics at your other choices than management. Oxford would be used to a PS focused on economics too

I suppose Oxford wouldn't like a PS focused on Management, then? :s-smilie:

I don't know if I could get in to do straight Econ, TBH, because of the GCSE requirements (never even did GCSEs, but have A-levels and US qualifications).
You do realise that you have missed the UCAS deadline for 2015 entry don't you?
Reply 9
Original post by sydneybridge

I said "not in this cycle" in the OP.
Original post by sydneybridge

OP says 'not this cycle', fortunately.
Original post by Bobbitt
I suppose Oxford wouldn't like a PS focused on Management, then? :s-smilie:

I don't know if I could get in to do straight Econ, TBH, because of the GCSE requirements (never even did GCSEs, but have A-levels and US qualifications).

That wouldn't be expected. If your US qualifications are very good then I wouldn't be too worried about not having GCSEs

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending