The Student Room Group

Am I a jerk?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sluice
You've pretty just explained how the mind of every human since ever works. What's the point of a friendship that feels forced? Sometimes you have to do things you don't want to for other people but friendship? It's supposed to be mutual.

She doesn't want a relationship
I don't want a platonic friendship

We just aren't meant to be friends

I wouldn't say it' s the mind of every human. I have female friends who I have fancied in the past, and when they have moved on and gotten with someone else I haven't stopped being their friend. If there are other factors that means you are less likely to remain friends then fair enough, but if you no longer want to be friends just because she won't date you then yes, you're a jerk.
Original post by Sluice
Considering she isn't exactly a stranger to sleeping with disgusting guys who she admits that she cant believe she ever looked twice at, it's just rubbing salt in the wound.

Dude, walk away. Act like a jerk and don't even give her a response. I am so going to get red arrowed for this. Do you consider her a whore
Reply 22
Original post by thunder_chunky
I wouldn't say it' s the mind of every human. I have female friends who I have fancied in the past, and when they have moved on and gotten with someone else I haven't stopped being their friend. If there are other factors that means you are less likely to remain friends then fair enough, but if you no longer want to be friends just because she won't date you then yes, you're a jerk.

As I've stated before, it isn't that. It's the way she seemed both disgusted by the idea and she didnt even give the old 'i love you as a friend way'. I'm not a guy that cant take (or give) rejection, I just find it hard to swallow when it happened like it did
Reply 23
Original post by Ekemini
Dude, walk away. Act like a jerk and don't even give her a response. I am so going to get red arrowed for this. Do you consider her a whore

No I don't consider any girls whores, least of all her. It just makes it harder to take. If she had been a christian saving herself for marriage it would have been different. But being told by someone who is happy to sleep with lots of disgusting guys that she doesn't even want to be closer romantically so bluntly makes me wonder why we are even friends.

As for walking away, I was thinking of leaving for good anyway without telling anyone. This is just another nail in the coffin
Original post by Sluice
As I've stated before, it isn't that. It's the way she seemed both disgusted by the idea and she didnt even give the old 'i love you as a friend way'. I'm not a guy that cant take (or give) rejection, I just find it hard to swallow when it happened like it did

In other words, you can't take rejection.
Original post by Ekemini

Neg rep hasn't been around for ****ing ages.
Reply 26
In other words, you can't take rejection.

I can. Being basically told to **** off is fine when it is a random girl you only just met, but 'close friends'? I expected rejection. I did not expect her to seem to care so little.
A friendship or relationship need to be beneficial for both, if that ain't the case then tell her the score. You aint a jerk for liking someone when they don't like you, just save yourself some sanity and let her find some other friends.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sluice
No I don't consider any girls whores, least of all her. It just makes it harder to take. If she had been a christian saving herself for marriage it would have been different.

As for walking away, I was thinking of leaving for good anyway without telling anyone. This is just another nail in the coffin

How old are you anyway? Just asking cause I like knowing. But yeah your reasons make sense. If you want it, then just leave but contradicting my first statement I think you need to sit her down and tell her your reasons for not wanting to continue the frienship
Reply 29
Why would you ask somebody out who you find tedious and boring? :lolwut:
Reply 30
Original post by samba
Why would you ask somebody out who you find tedious and boring? :lolwut:

No I didn't. I used to like her, but the whole thing now means when she wants to do something I'm sat there thinking 'oh God can this end' for the duration
Reply 31
Original post by Ekemini
How old are you anyway? Just asking cause I like knowing. But yeah your reasons make sense. If you want it, then just leave but contradicting my first statement I think you need to sit her down and tell her your reasons for not wanting to continue the frienship

Late teens
Original post by Sluice
I can. Being basically told to **** off is fine when it is a random girl you only just met, but 'close friends'? I expected rejection. I did not expect her to seem to care so little.

Maybe she does care but just hasn't shown it, or finds it hard to show emotion. Or maybe she just didn't handle it well and knows it but doesn't really know how to deal with it. Perhaps it would be best if you actually sat down with her, as her friend, and had a proper chat with her about it. Then you can make a judgement call.
Original post by Sluice
Late teens

Late teens?!!? LATE TEENS?!! Is that all you can GIVE me??? How dare you?!?! Just kidding :smile: Back to the topic, life is too short. If you feel that is friendship is not going anywhere tell her
Reply 34
Maybe she does care but just hasn't shown it, or finds it hard to show emotion. Or maybe she just didn't handle it well and knows it but doesn't really know how to deal with it. Perhaps it would be best if you actually sat down with her, as her friend, and had a proper chat with her about it. Then you can make a judgement call.

But that's breaking a cardinal rule. If someone turns you down, don't try to negotiate it or ask for reasons. THAT is taking rejection badly. I only need to be told no once, but after that I have the right to have a look at myself and think well what do I want out of this and do I want to carry on?
Sometimes rejection can be hard to take but do you really want to lose her as a friend? Are you sure you are not just saying you don't want to be friends with her anymore because your pride has been hurt?

I would suggest maybe spend some time away from her but don't lose her completely.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 36
Original post by Ekemini
Late teens?!!? LATE TEENS?!! Is that all you can GIVE me??? How dare you?!?! Just kidding :smile: Back to the topic, life is too short. If you feel that is friendship is not going anywhere tell her

Ok. 19. haha
Reply 37
Original post by sherlockfan
Sometimes rejection can be hard to take but do you really want to lose her as a friend?

I would suggest maybe spend some time away from her but don't lose her completely.

Well I don't care now.
Original post by Sluice
But that's breaking a cardinal rule. If someone turns you down, don't try to negotiate it or ask for reasons. THAT is taking rejection badly. I only need to be told no once, but after that I have the right to have a look at myself and think well what do I want out of this and do I want to carry on?

Firstly, who gives a **** about "the rules" whatever they may be. The "rules" that are set out by other people and perhaps society don't apply to every single situation. You're not supposed to act how others think you should act, act how you think you should act.
Secondly, you're not really negotiating, you're just trying to get to the bottom of why she is giving you what you perceive as the cold shoulder. Also if you have a bit of a sit down over a coffee you can have a proper chat and then determine whether or not you are best suited to be friends or not. There's nothing wrong with that whatsoever.
Original post by sherlockfan
Sometimes rejection can be hard to take but do you really want to lose her as a friend? Are you sure you are not just saying you don't want to be friends with her anymore because your pride has been hurt?

Sometimes the friendship cannot just work well after that kind of rejection

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending