The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Salmon97
I read this elsewhere on TSR - posted by a Cambridge Admissions Tutor in an 'Ask the Admissions Tutor' thread. He stated:

Colleges will then do a similar thing for those to whom they wish to interview as a direct offer always trumps an interview. Only those not taken for direct offers can be offered an interview and they can be interviewed by up to two colleges. After the interviews take place later in January and if both colleges want a candidate then, if they can't decide between them, the candidate is offered a choice.

I don't think it is right to generalise "direct offers always trump interviews". A college may like an applicant a lot but may still feel the need to interview him/her if he/she is an international applicant studying in a different educational system or the is on a gap year which tutors want to discuss about, or there may be something that tutors want to clarify (something about research that applicant has done, or courses taken), etc.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Viceroy
Your username is creepy as ****.

You need to educate yourself about the roots of the word and its contemporary usage in India/Iran.
Original post by ClickItBack
You need to educate yourself about the roots of the word and its contemporary usage in India/Iran.

Cambridge grad vs Cambridge postgrad!
Original post by programmer<3
I don't think it is right to generalise "direct offers always trump interviews". A college may like an applicant a lot but may still feel the need to interview him/her if he/she is an international applicant studying in a different educational system or the is on a gap year which tutors want to discuss about, or there may be something that tutors want to clarify (something about research that applicant has done, or courses taken), etc.

firstly thats a quote from an admissions tutor.
secondly if a college wants to make an applicant an offer and another college wants to reinterview him to be sure the college that wants to give him an offer obviously takes priority as the other college could decide they didn't like the applicant post interview and then he would be rejected instead of made an offer.
Original post by newblood
How is his username creepy. Aryan is an indian name, so do not so ignorantly disrespect it by assuming something else.

How am I meant to know what he's referring to just by looking at his username?? A username has no cultural context and given that this is largely an English-speaking forum, one might very easily assume that he isn't referring to an Indian name.
Original post by Viceroy
How am I meant to know what he's referring to just by looking at his username?? A username has no cultural context and given that this is largely an English-speaking forum, one might very easily assume that he isn't referring to an Indian name.

Well then you might use your common sense and not jump to assumptions then if you dont know something.
Well then you might use your common sense and not jump to assumptions then if you dont know something.

How am I meant to know one way or another? Like I said, a username has zero context. Common sense might be to not make a username with a word that could be taken to mean something *completely* different to a very large portion of readers than it means to the user. Can you seriously not see how a username like "AryanRules" might not be very easily misunderstood (especially with all the nutjobs floating around this site with usernames about white supremacy)?

If that's actually the guy's name, fine, it isn't creepy at all, but someone else could make exactly the same username and have it mean something totally different and it would be creepy. First instinct, given that this is an English-speaking site and "Aryan" is not a common name in English-speaking place, would be that it is not in reference to a name. Is that so hard to understand?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Viceroy
How am I meant to know one way or another? Like I said, a username has zero context. Common sense might be to not make a username with a word that could be taken to mean something *completely* different to a very large portion of readers than it means to the user. Can you seriously not see how a username like "AryanRules" might not be very easily misunderstood (especially with all the nutjobs floating around this site with usernames about white supremacy)?

i dont wish to discuss this further: but it was a rude, abrupt comment from you that was unnecessary. Even if it meant the other thing, then why need to draw it out? He has freedom to form his own opinions. And i think it was foolish to make the comment as if it has a Nazi resemblance, surely it would say Aryansrule as that refers to a race so plural. He has clearly used singular here...

Admittedly, it was a poor judgement on your part, so now that you know from ClickItBacks post let us simply move on from the matter and hopefully the same mistake wont be made next time :smile:
i dont wish to discuss this further: but it was a rude, abrupt comment from you that was unnecessary. Even if it meant the other thing, then why need to draw it out? He has freedom to form his own opinions. And i think it was foolish to make the comment as if it has a Nazi resemblance, surely it would say Aryansrule as that refers to a race so plural. He has clearly used singular here...

Admittedly, it was a poor judgement on your part, so now that you know from ClickItBacks post let us simply move on from the matter and hopefully the same mistake wont be made next time :smile:

In this particular instance, given that the guy is referring to his name, yes, I was wrong. But it could easily have been referring to something else and it isn't so insane to have thought that and, just as someone has the right to 'form their own opinions,' I would have the right to tell them I think it's creepy to have a white supremacist username (if that had been the case here, and it is the case for many users).
Original post by Goods
firstly thats a quote from an admissions tutor.
secondly if a college wants to make an applicant an offer and another college wants to reinterview him to be sure the college that wants to give him an offer obviously takes priority as the other college could decide they didn't like the applicant post interview and then he would be rejected instead of made an offer.

You misinterpreted my point. Like someone on this thread said that if a college fishes 5 people, you could be the 5th one (i.e., not in the cream of the poolees). My point is that those interviewed are not always inferior to the ones given direct offers because colleges may like an applicant very much but still feel the need to interview because of several reasons (international applicant studying in a different education system, gap year applicant, discussion of research done by applicant, or something specific to applicant's background/situation).
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Viceroy
In this particular instance, given that the guy is referring to his name, yes, I was wrong. But it could easily have been referring to something else and it isn't so insane to have thought that and, just as someone has the right to 'form their own opinions,' I would have the right to tell them I think it's creepy to have a white supremacist username (if that had been the case here, and it is the case for many users).

Certainly you have the right to tell him you think his username is creepy. However, just because you have the right to do so doesn't mean that your initial post wasn't extremely rude.

If you were genuinely nonplussed by his username you could have easily asked him about it first instead of going with the approach you did. I felt it was particularly bad because the guy was clearly not posting anything at all to do with white supremacy - your comment was totally apropos of nothing.
I'm looking for the thing that states the auto-pooling requirements on the cambridge website, can anyone direct me to it? its just I should have been pooled by St. John's and wasn't.
Original post by SerLorasTyrell
I'm looking for the thing that states the auto-pooling requirements on the cambridge website, can anyone direct me to it? its just I should have been pooled by St. John's and wasn't.

It's behind Raven now. Why do you think you should have been pooled? What are your subject UMS?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
It's behind Raven now. Why do you think you should have been pooled? What are your subject UMS?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm a scottish applicant with five A band 1s at Higher level, I believe the auto-pool criteria was 4 A band 1s
I'm a scottish applicant with five A band 1s at Higher level, I believe the auto-pool criteria was 4 A band 1s

I was pooled with five band 1s. No offer though
Original post by CaitlinDy

Unlucky, at least you got pooled though! haha

All you can do is contact the college and ask them to clarify if you where pooled and if not why...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is a band 1 an A * or higher?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
Is a band 1 an A * or higher?

Posted from TSR Mobile

About the same. Band 1s are usually achieved when an exam result is over ~80-85%, depending on the difficulty of the exam.

Posted from TSR Mobile
About the same. Band 1s are usually achieved when an exam result is over ~80-85%, depending on the difficulty of the exam.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So an A

Latest

Trending

Trending