The Student Room Group

Am I a jerk?

Scroll to see replies

I suggest cutting contact OP. She doesn't seem to value you as a person and from your description of her she just used you to fuel the attention she desperately craved. She doesn't view you in a romantic or sexual sense so rather than be her personal lapdog, try be your own person and find people worthy of your respect. All the best.
Reply 41
Original post by thunder_chunky
Firstly, who gives a **** about "the rules" whatever they may be. The "rules" that are set out by other people and perhaps society don't apply to every single situation. You're not supposed to act how others think you should act, act how you think you should act.
Secondly, you're not really negotiating, you're just trying to get to the bottom of why she is giving you what you perceive as the cold shoulder. Also if you have a bit of a sit down over a coffee you can have a proper chat and then determine whether or not you are best suited to be friends or not. There's nothing wrong with that whatsoever.

The rules aren't written in stone, but I'm not going to go all Elliot Rodger. Secondly I don't care about being friends anymore.
Original post by Sluice
Well I don't care now.

Read my edited post.

Clearly your pride has been hurt somewhat but that feeling won't last. She has been a good friend to you for a year now, and when the first feelings of rejection have passed over you will wonder why you didn't stay friends with her.
Have you had feelings for her since the beginning?
Original post by Sluice
Ok. 19. haha

I'm 16.:smile: Why don't you come on over baby, we could shake shake shake.( don't like Taylor swift but that song is stupidly catchy).
Reply 44
Original post by the eurasiannation
I suggest cutting contact OP. She doesn't seem to value you as a person and from your description of her she just used you to fuel the attention she desperately craved. She doesn't view you in a romantic or sexual sense so rather than be her personal lapdog, try be your own person and find people worthy of your respect. All the best.

Thank you. This has helped me get a bit of perspective. I never wanted sex that badly. I just wanted to spend the sort of time together that couples do, but that isn't going to happen and I don't think I can be bothered anymore.
Original post by Ekemini
Sometimes the friendship cannot just work well after that kind of rejection

Who is to say it can't?
Maybe it can work, and maybe in can't. That depends entirely on the OP.
Reply 46
Original post by Ekemini
I'm 16.:smile: Why don't you come on over baby, we could shake shake shake.( don't like Taylor swift but that song is stupidly catchy).

I guess I'd take any sort of genuine friends right now
Original post by the eurasiannation

How does she not value him as a person? Maybe she just doesn't see him in that way, that doesn't mean that she doesn't respect him.
Reply 48
Original post by sherlockfan
Read my edited post.

Clearly your pride has been hurt somewhat but that feeling won't last. She has been a good friend to you for a year now, and when the first feelings of rejection have passed over you will wonder why you didn't stay friends with her.
Have you had feelings for her since the beginning?

Well it kind of went to a next level and I thought maybe she did like me. And no I didnt fancy her at all to begin with, its only been since I spent time with her.
Who is to say it can't?
Maybe it can work, and maybe in can't. That depends entirely on the OP.

For the OP to want to end it just like that is there really any point to continue the friendship. The OP's comments say it all
Original post by Sluice
Well it kind of went to a next level and I thought maybe she did like me. And no I didnt fancy her at all to begin with, its only been since I spent time with her.

well what do you mean to a next level? are you sure you weren't just misreading the signs?
sometimes when we fancy someone badly we can interpret everything they say and do in a different way and take it to mean that they have the same feelings for us.
Original post by Ekemini
For the OP to want to end it just like that is there really any point to continue the friendship. The OP's comments say it all

maybe it's just temporary though? ive been angry at people sometimes and i've wanted to cut contact with them, but it mostly passes eventually.

i did suggest OP should take some time off from seeing her, but to tell her he doesnt want to be friends at all could be something he'd regret later.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Sluice
I guess I'd take any sort of genuine friends right now

Do you have any other friends besides her? Maybe you could spend more time with them and just gradually cut her off
maybe it's just temporary though? ive been angry at people sometimes and i've wanted to cut contact with them, but it mostly passes eventually.

This one doesn't look like it is going to pass
Original post by Ekemini
This one doesn't look like it is going to pass

how could you possibly know that though?
Original post by Sluice
The rules aren't written in stone, but I'm not going to go all Elliot Rodger. Secondly I don't care about being friends anymore.

Again, **** the rules. **** the rules set out by other people, and **** the rules and expectations of your friends and society. None of that matters. Do what you want to do, and also, do what might be the mature and decent thing to do. Nothing wrong has been done here, and there's no harm in you having a frank talk with her about the possible future of you both being friends. What is there to lose?
Reply 56
well what do you mean to a next level? are you sure you weren't just misreading the signs?
sometimes when we fancy someone badly we can interpret everything they say and do in a different way and take it to mean that they have the same feelings for us.

I wanted to spend time together like couples do. Yet she seemed like the idea of that was pretty awful, not even like she 'would rather not' or something softer. Of course I misread the signs but now I am left wondering if I never saw her again would I be bothered? And the answer to that is no.
Reply 57
Original post by Ekemini
Do you have any other friends besides her? Maybe you could spend more time with them and just gradually cut her off

yes but they are hers too, and I was thinking of just leaving them all anyway. Same for my family. I don't know where I'm going to go but I can sort that out later on
How does she not value him as a person? Maybe she just doesn't see him in that way, that doesn't mean that she doesn't respect him.

It just seems to be an entirely superficial friendship. Maybe that's because I don't really have any friendship dynamics with girls in which they are a best friend. OP himself would probably be best placed to answer.

The fact that she was so blunt and seemingly inconsiderate of his feelings when shooting him down itself contradicts her status as a best friend IMO.
Original post by Sluice
I wanted to spend time together like couples do. Yet she seemed like the idea of that was pretty awful, not even like she 'would rather not' or something softer. Of course I misread the signs but now I am left wondering if I never saw her again would I be bothered? And the answer to that is no.

ok so spend some time with other people and re evaluate where you stand with her. no need to tell her you never want to see her again, just don't contact her for a few weeks. or months. however long it takes. Tell her you need some time on your own.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending