The Student Room Group

University or school leaver?

I just want some more opinions, with respect to getting into banking, which is better: acc&f at Warwick or a school leavers programme?

Posted from TSR Mobile
It depends on so many things which I really cannot be bothered to explain....
Reply 2
Thanks for the comment, very helpful. What I was asking was in reference to an equally strong candidate doing both courses, so it that respect it doesn't actually depend on much else...

Posted from TSR Mobile
You'll never make Front office from doing a school leaver programme. Warwick gives you a chance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Yeah that's what I thought as well, trying to convince the parents that hahaa! Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Warwick is a well respected university and a degree from there says a lot about an individual. It will give you a better chance of getting into banking, especially front office banking. If you go to a front office, pretty much everyone will have a degree and there is a reason for that. I feel a school leavers programme will help get your foot in the door, but will only get you so far. When it comes to competing for senior roles later in your career, you will probably not be looked at if you do not have a degree, regardless of your experience.
Reply 6
I agree, thanks for the advice! The partners on the school leavers scheme are adamant there wouldn't be any career caps however I think with the growth of accountancy at the moment, they're just trying to get as many in as possible!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andyraffa
I agree, thanks for the advice! The partners on the school leavers scheme are adamant there wouldn't be any career caps however I think with the growth of accountancy at the moment, they're just trying to get as many in as possible!

Posted from TSR Mobile

To be honest, I thought you were talking about the investment banking school leaver schemes. I think the accounting ones are better than those but even still, it's a struggle for people with degrees to make the transfer to an investment bank. I'm on a school leaver accounting scheme and am bored with audit so I hope there will be some decent exit opportunities.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Yeah me too, audits a nightmare, especially in busy season!😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andyraffa
I just want some more opinions, with respect to getting into banking, which is better: acc&f at Warwick or a school leavers programme?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dear Andyraffa,

It is a big decision choosing to go to uni or not! There are lots of benefits to both routes, but it all depends on what is right for you! For young people willing to get straight into the world of work, EY offers two different routes; you can either apply to the EY Assurance Scholarship at Warwick or the School Leaver Programme: http://ukcareerguide.ey.com/schools/

If you are interested in resources and articles from successful business professionals that both did and didn’t go to uni, check out our MYFUTURENOW site (http://ukcareerguide.ey.com/my-future-now/). Or you can also talk to some of our school leavers on Twitter to find out about their decision making process if that can help.

Any other question, please feel free to email me at [email protected]

All the best,

Georgie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending