The Student Room Group

Is there a healthier and much cheaper alternative to Subway when eating out?

Say, I want to buy a (very) healthy meal when I am out and have no access to a kitchen. What should I buy? It has to be cheaper than a Subway Ft long, and gives the same fulfillment.

Appreciate the help, really!

Scroll to see replies

Tesco sandwiches? Always found them good for the price.
Well if you go enough times you can get a free meal, so I'm going to go with Nando's
Subway is gooooood :smile:
My local tesco has like a really tasty salad bar. Each bowl is £4 and it's incredibly filling and delicious :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pretty much all supermarkets do good sandwiches, pasta posts etc for <£2. Greggs is also very filling and not so badly priced (you could always buy two things)
Looking for a full and healthy meal, £3 max. :colondollar:
Reply 7
eat me insted

Boots do a great meal deal. I think it might be £3.29 but their range of healthier options is the most extensive and the tastiest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
M&S sell healthy salads which are handy and taste pretty good! You could add a green juice which would make the meal more complete. Also, cafe rouge or pret a manger have fairly healthy options, if you ask to omit the cheese/fries and add extra vegetables.
I'd recommend getting some sandwich spreads and buying some bread rolls, make your own lunch that way. M and S tuna and sweetcorn spread is just amazing, can easily get a largish tub of that and some rolls for under £3.
Boots the drugstore?
Original post by hermitthefrog
Boots do a great meal deal. I think it might be £3.29 but their range of healthier options is the most extensive and the tastiest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pret, EAT, M&S
Subway is the healthiest. Unless you're counting macros, what you eat isn't too important. Subway is the best because it allows for flexibility in exactly what you get. You'll probably get more fibre and protein in a Subway sandwich than you will anywhere else.

For weight loss the most important thing is calories which is what Subway is great at because you get a looooot of food for a few calories. E.g. A 6" sub is 200-450 calories where a Tesco Value sandwich is 350-500 calories. Also, the Tesco sandwich will lack a lot of macro/micronutrients whereas the sub won't because Subway use fresh(ish) veg, more protein, and less preservatives and other ****ty ingredients that Tesco use in their food.
Morrisons here do a salad bar which is insanely cheap. Like the largest size (which is a huge tray) is about three pound or maybe less. They have 4 different sizes so it wouldn't be hard to get a medium salad for around 2 quid :}
Reply 15
meal deals with sandwiches or mcdonalds are cheaper, saver burger and fries fill me up!
Original post by Joyful_soul
Say, I want to buy a (very) healthy meal when I am out and have no access to a kitchen. What should I buy? It has to be cheaper than a Subway Ft long, and gives the same fulfillment.

Appreciate the help, really!

go to a sandwich shop or cafe. ask them to make you something.
Original post by emski
meal deals with sandwiches or mcdonalds are cheaper, saver burger and fries fill me up!

Some people are missing the word healthier in the title ;] ;]
Reply 18
Literally every place with a meal deal, you can choose the healthy options and they often have a healthy snack alternative to getting crips with it.
Reply 19
Original post by iAmanze
Some people are missing the word healthier in the title ;] ;]

Meal deals probably have less calories and the subway sandwiches can be higher in calories not sure of the exact value of the tiny saver fries compared to a subway but I know that medium fries contain around 200+ cal and I'm sure your average subway is 400+ cal

Quick Reply

Latest