The Student Room Group

Anglicising my Name?

Anon or Delete.

Should I anglicise my first name?

I grew up in England from the age of four, originally from Europe. My name was always a hassle for teachers/students in school and has always left me with a negative vibe since then. I am now 21 and have just graduated from university.

I do not want to feel like I'm abandoning something, I want to anglicise my name and settle here for good. No problems, no constant, how do you pronounce that? I have visited the country where I was born and I honestly don't really resonate with that country.

Thanks for anyone that takes the time to respond. Also if you have anglicised your name? could you tell me why and whether it was a problem?

I feel like now would be the best time, If I am ever to anglicise my name.
Reply 1
better sooner than later
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Anon or Delete.

Should I anglicise my first name?

I grew up in England from the age of four, originally from Europe. My name was always a hassle for teachers/students in school and has always left me with a negative vibe since then. I am now 21 and have just graduated from university.

I do not want to feel like I'm abandoning something, I want to anglicise my name and settle here for good. No problems, no constant, how do you pronounce that? I have visited the country where I was born and I honestly don't really resonate with that country.

Thanks for anyone that takes the time to respond. Also if you have anglicised your name? could you tell me why and whether it was a problem?

I feel like now would be the best time, If I am ever to anglicise my name.

I know exactly how you feel because i have a Nigerian name, so people have the same struggles pronouncing it. I've come to realise though, that i don't want to feel like i have to become more "british" and change who i am and reject the name my parents gave me because of things like that. People need to learn how to pronounce my name because it's my name and in a country that's becoming increasinly multicultural, not everyone has to be the same. We don't all have to be called samantha and Laura or John and Ben You know? Personally for me it's a question of my self esteem, and i have also considered changing my name and have reached the conclusion that people have to accept me as i am, and i won't change for anyone :smile: I think you should take the same approach. But up to you.
Reply 3
What is your name? My Polish equivalence of Arthur usually means half the time people call me properly or just 'Arthur'.
I have an unusual name and i love it! people always remember me because my name strikes out from the usual rest
Reply 5
Original post by JD8897
better sooner than later

Why's that?
Reply 6
Original post by Artur96
What is your name? My Polish equivalence of Arthur usually means half the time people call me properly or just 'Arthur'.

Let's say the equivalence would be 'Lee'. Parents are both white european. Don't really want to divulge further than that, as people from Uni know me on here.
Reply 7
Thanks for the advice.

The reason I am debating the issue is because of Globalism.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending