The Student Room Group

How do I go from an A in biology to A*?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
We were told to PEEL - Point evidence explanation then link back to question (so sum up/conclude). I think I would've enjoyed english if it weren't for the exams. It's useful to participate in lessons as it helps to bounce ideas off of someone/validate your own ideas. I was pretty much the only person who spoke in class which was a chore at first, but it did help me develop my ideas a bit better.
Reply 21
Original post by xGCSE_Studentx
Yes, if that's possible please !!
can I also have the videos please, I'm sorry it's just that u have mocks coming up
I really enjoy Biology but I don't know how to improve my grade.
I'm in year 10 and currently a solid B/A.
How do i get an A*!!!!

I'm also in year ten studying biology. I usually get a solid A* so I know what it takes. As you enjoy it, I presume it won't be difficult as this is the most important thing. Try to revise you classwork notes the evening after your lessons. Revise thoroughly before each of your tests as this will really help. Buy CGP biology revision guides as these are simply amazing. Also use BBC bite size. Ask your teacher for help when needed and take quality class notes for revision. Try not to get distracted in class. Hope this helps :wink:
Reply 23
I am doing AQA triple science. I have bought revision guides which are really useful but after 20-30 mins of answering questions and revisiting questions i struggle on, i lose interest.
In other subjects i enjoy the revision but in science i seem to find any excuse not to do it i.e. coming online here!

Thank you for your advice - it was very beneficial :wink:

Work in short chunks of 30 minutes and have a minute break. What i would suggest is look at the myGCSEScience videos on youtube (without which i would have failed physics)
Another useful technique is to find a friend who is a similar position and create questions for each other as this makes you think deeply about the theory involved.
LEARN DEFINITIONS- they make up the bulk of GCSE and you can't really do anything else if you don't know them.
BIGGEST PIECE OF ADVICE: look at past papers and their mark schemes after a while they become same so you would have done all the questions before the exam
Reply 24
Just remembered a bigger piece of advice
Look at the spec. If you don't know what that is its a list of points which will be in the exams teachers know what to teach you. You can see how helpful this is right? This also eliminates extra revision for things that won't be on the exam1
I am doing AQA triple science. I have bought revision guides which are really useful but after 20-30 mins of answering questions and revisiting questions i struggle on, i lose interest.
In other subjects i enjoy the revision but in science i seem to find any excuse not to do it i.e. coming online here!

Thank you for your advice - it was very beneficial :wink:

Since you're in triple I can safely tell you that you have a long way yet to go - I'm doing the same thing it's not too hard tbh you may just have not done as well with B1 cause it's more about How Science Works questions and things like that if you found that you worked better with the actually sciencey questions you might do what I did because in year 10 I got a B+ on my B1 but I've been on an A* since that on homeworks and other papers that we've done.

But what I'd say is you have to get used to answering exam questions and also learn the basics. There's no easy way to do this but I'd suggest retention - spend 10 - 20 mins each day after a lesson just reviewing what you did in lesson and making sure you understand. NEVER leave a lesson when you don't understand. Always ask your teacher to simplify it if needby. Secondly, do past papers - even if it comes to a point where you're doing the same papers you've already done, do it. It helps revise the exam techniques and also just relax a bit (Listen to music when you revise/ do homework - it really helps) you have more than a year to go and if you try hard enough you can do it. I mean, I wasn't predicted a single A* but now I'm looking at all A*s with maybe the exception of English Lang and Lit - not the best at these subjects, never have been xD

Lastly, revision guides I either recommend the CGP ones or the actual AQA ones which are much more concise and I prefer as they have exam tips, as well as key points and a helpful glossary. They also have questions and exam-style questions WITH ANSWERS. but the the CGP ones are a bit more vibrant if that suits you better use it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by saahil0987
Since you're in triple I can safely tell you that you have a long way yet to go - I'm doing the same thing it's not too hard tbh you may just have not done as well with B1 cause it's more about How Science Works questions and things like that if you found that you worked better with the actually sciencey questions you might do what I did because in year 10 I got a B+ on my B1 but I've been on an A* since that on homeworks and other papers that we've done.

But what I'd say is you have to get used to answering exam questions and also learn the basics. There's no easy way to do this but I'd suggest retention - spend 10 - 20 mins each day after a lesson just reviewing what you did in lesson and making sure you understand. NEVER leave a lesson when you don't understand. Always ask your teacher to simplify it if needby. Secondly, do past papers - even if it comes to a point where you're doing the same papers you've already done, do it. It helps revise the exam techniques and also just relax a bit (Listen to music when you revise/ do homework - it really helps) you have more than a year to go and if you try hard enough you can do it. I mean, I wasn't predicted a single A* but now I'm looking at all A*s with maybe the exception of English Lang and Lit - not the best at these subjects, never have been xD

Lastly, revision guides I either recommend the CGP ones or the actual AQA ones which are much more concise and I prefer as they have exam tips, as well as key points and a helpful glossary. They also have questions and exam-style questions WITH ANSWERS. but the the CGP ones are a bit more vibrant if that suits you better use it.

Thanks! I have my first ever mocks in 5 weeks and i've got biology and chemistry. The only topics we've done so far that i can expect in the exam is B1, B3 and C1!:redface:
Thanks! I have my first ever mocks in 5 weeks and i've got biology and chemistry. The only topics we've done so far that i can expect in the exam is B1, B3 and C1!:redface:

B3? and also don't you do you're sciences seperatly so you will have done P1 as well? When you say B3 what do you mean I'm pretty sure you won't have covered much of it you probably looked at a topic which overlapped
(edited 9 years ago)
B3? and also don't you do you're sciences seperatly so you will have done P1 as well?

Yes B3: Biology?

Yes because I'm doing sciences separate we haven't even started Physics GCSE , don't ask my why because i don't have a clue! Bit concerned if i'm perfectly honest. My science teachers have just focused on Biology and Chemistry.
Yes B3: Biology?

Yes because I'm doing sciences separate we haven't even started Physics GCSE , don't ask my why because i don't have a clue! Bit concerned if i'm perfectly honest. My science teachers have just focused on Biology and Chemistry.

When you say B3 what aspects have you done?
When you say B3 what aspects have you done?

Heart (Circulatory system), Blood vessels, Kidneys (failure), Dialysis, Diabetes, Ecosystems, Homeostasis, Transport systems in plant/animals (diffusion, osmosis, active transport), Ethanol, Eco-fuels etc.
Heart (Circulatory system), Blood vessels, Kidneys (failure), Dialysis, Diabetes, Ecosystems, Homeostasis, Transport systems in plant/animals (diffusion, osmosis, active transport), Ethanol, Eco-fuels etc.

I just thought that's a bit weird, sorry at my school we've done it 'logically'
like first B1-C1-P1 then B2-C2-P2 and now B3-C3-P3 by far my favorite pat of each science
I just thought that's a bit weird, sorry at my school we've done it 'logically'
like first B1-C1-P1 then B2-C2-P2 and now B3-C3-P3 by far my favorite pat of each science

Oh, i don't know why we've done it like that! Can i ask what year you're in please?:confused:
Reply 33
Ah good ol' AQA biology. The key here is exam technique.
Every graph questions describe the trend in two ways with data for instance:
X increases steadily until point Y where it peaks at Insert data before decreasing or something to that effect.

Also look at the no. Of marks available and use proper terminology.
Oh and state the obvious!
Oh, i don't know why we've done it like that! Can i ask what year you're in please?:confused:

Year 11
To get an a* it's not hard at all. It just takes dedication. I did my Chemistry exam in year 10 and i came out with an a* even tho my isa was a really low a. This is how you get good marks okay. So first what you want to do is get all the past papers and highlight the frequent questions that come up, memories the answer to those. I can guarantee you that you will get 20/60 just doing that. Next revise the specification, I know that its brief but its relevant. After that i watched youtube videos, mygscescience is beast, search it on youtube. Do all the past paper but leave one or two for the end to see your progress. Lastly just go over the AQA revision book a few times and copy out all the relevant information. put all the information together and make the links. You will easily understand the concept once you have made the links. And you should be definitely hitting the A* grade boundries its around 44/60. I know this process is huge but it's up to you if you are dedicated and passionate. Hope this helped :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending