The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rachelc142
Yep haha ! Calculated my estimated student loan on a gov calculator, I've already applied for accommodation so I know 1)how much it costs and 2) my nearest aldi/lidl to work out my avg weekly shop then added personal expenses and worked out how much I will have leftover for societies/going out etc. It's all on an excel spreadsheet hahahaha

wow, that's impressive :tongue: I'm having a mid-life crisis about university at the moment so I'm not even thinking about expenses... i guess all you have to worry about now are exams :biggrin:
How has everyone done in their A2 mocks?
My scores so far:
A2 Maths C3- A* 74/75(100/100 UMS)
A2 Further Maths FP2-A 66/75(85/100 UMS) my Maths teacher was using a slightly different textbook and missed out a small topic on Differential Equations,I am annoyed in a way though because it was potentially doable from what we had done(ie STEP style if you hadn't done it) I got 0/7 for that and 66/68 elsewhere noone in the class got more than 2/7 on that question I think-I'm not too bothered though as I only need 2 85s for my A* in Further Maths due to getting 100 in M2.
A2 Physics Unit 4 23/25(Multiple Choice) +40/50 written paper mark=63/75-A*(113/120 UMS)
AS+A2 Additional Further Maths S2 A*(75/75) (100 UMS) and M4-Pending(I haven't sat these mocks yet but I am planning to)
STEP I-70/120 Grade 1

EDIT:I have edited the post to include my updated physics mark and STEP I mark and my Statistics mock mark.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Dalek1099
How has everyone done in their A2 mocks?
My scores so far:
A2 Maths C3- A* 74/75(100 UMS)
A2 Further Maths FP2-A 66/75(85 UMS) my Maths teacher was using a slightly different textbook and missed out a small topic on Differential Equations,I am annoyed in a way though because it was potentially doable from what we had done(ie STEP style if you hadn't done it) I got 0/7 for that and 66/68 elsewhere noone in the class got more than 2/7 on that question I think-I'm not too bothered though as I only need 2 85s for my A* in Further Maths due to getting 100 in M2.
A2 Physics Unit 4 23/25(Multiple Choice) mark for written paper is pending which will probably be much lower.
A2 Additional Further Maths S2 and M4-Pending(I haven't sat these mocks yet but I am planning to)
STEP I-Pending(I haven't sat this mocks yet but I am planning to)

woah, well done you! let's hope you can do as well in the summer!
for me it was:
A2 C3: 63ish/74
A2 English Lit (Section 2 only): 38/40 or 39/40
A2 Chemistry F324: 57/60
A2 Biology: doing it on Thursday D:
Original post by techno836
Current Year 13 Thread Mark I

Now I thought like last year we should all have our own mini briefing of our UCAS applications, so if you could PM your details like mine below and also include your University course and 18th Birthday :smile: I will add them to the expansion :h:

(02/05/97) LSE, UoLeicester, Lancaster, City, UoReading - maths&finance
Original post by whatacrydonnie
wow, that's impressive :tongue: I'm having a mid-life crisis about university at the moment so I'm not even thinking about expenses... i guess all you have to worry about now are exams :biggrin:

Lol I am stressting about exams already :'( aw, how come, not feeling it as much any more?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I haven't done one because I am still unsure about what the full list of costs will be.I don't usually finance that way anyway I just spend carefullyish and then monitor my bank account and look at short term projections based on spending that much money per week/month and if I am spending too much I try and spend less and if I am spending too little there is much more room to spend more-budgets can be a bad idea because a lot of costs can be unpredictable one off costs and the reality of how much you are going to spend can be quite different to what you think you will spend.I think this might not work for some people as a lot of people just seem to spend all they have so need restraining by a budget.

However, I do plan on making a budget to give me an idea about how much money I will have to spend I probably won't stick too tight too it, especially when I don't know how much most things cost.
Lol I am stressting about exams already :'( aw, how come, not feeling it as much any more?

Posted from TSR Mobile

it's only January, give yourself a break :tongue: there'll be plenty of time to stress over the next few months! I got rejected from my top two choices and I don't want to go to any of the unis I've got offers for. I could apply through UCAS Extra, if there are any places left, but I'd have to reject my 3 offers for an application that may not be accepted. My family say don't risk it, but friends and teachers say go for it.
Any advice would be welcome :biggrin:
Yep haha ! Calculated my estimated student loan on a gov calculator, I've already applied for accommodation so I know 1)how much it costs and 2) my nearest aldi/lidl to work out my avg weekly shop then added personal expenses and worked out how much I will have leftover for societies/going out etc. It's all on an excel spreadsheet hahahaha

Oh my word I need to try this! Going to struggle with food though as I have allergies. Got a steep learning curve to journey on :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
it's only January, give yourself a break :tongue: there'll be plenty of time to stress over the next few months! I got rejected from my top two choices and I don't want to go to any of the unis I've got offers for. I could apply through UCAS Extra, if there are any places left, but I'd have to reject my 3 offers for an application that may not be accepted. My family say don't risk it, but friends and teachers say go for it.
Any advice would be welcome :biggrin:

Hahahaha I know I know
Hmmmm. What are the three you really don't wanna go to & why don't you wanna go there?

Original post by _Caz_
Oh my word I need to try this! Going to struggle with food though as I have allergies. Got a steep learning curve to journey on :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it's really good as I feel confident I won't run out of money and I can survive on my loan without a job :smile: oh right, will just require careful shopping and extra time I'd imagine!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Current Year 13 Thread Mark I

Okay so I'm not sure how I posted this without actually posting it :lol:

Final year for us all (hopefully) which will probably be the hardest, not to mention how busy we are at the start of the year with UCAS, personal statements and some you's still deciding what you want to do, but I'm sure most of us here actually know what this thread is for, if you don't open this list.

List

Now I thought like last year we should all have our own mini briefing of our UCAS applications, so if you could PM your details like mine below and also include your University course and 18th Birthday :smile: I will add them to the expansion :h:

UCAS Applications

Best of luck to everyone regarding their studies and application, my favourite part of this will to hopefully see us all succeed when I get to update the expansions :awesome: :woo:

Have a great year everyone :h:

I have noticed how you haven't started editing the OP yet with how people's applications have went.I have got offers back from all of the 5 universities I applied to(so mark these Green) and I haven't picked my Firm and Insurance yet my Firm will definitely be Cambridge but I am having a bit of a debate with myself about whether to Insure Durham or Warwick I will probably Insure Warwick as it is one of the COWI for Maths.

Although,Durham would have a lot of benefits for me like being close to home and not having to worry about sorting out accommodation for the second,third and fourth years as I will just live at home since it is only a bus ride away from home.

I am going to an open day in the Half Term at Warwick because I realised that I have never been to Warwick compared to visiting Durham University once as well as several visits to the place as it isn't too far away and visiting Cambridge University three times.I will then make my final decision on whether Warwick will be my Insurance or whether it will be Durham.It would have been a bad idea to Insure Warwick if I hadn't been there once as I would have been really panicked once I got in about getting there.
Hahahaha I know I know
Hmmmm. What are the three you really don't wanna go to & why don't you wanna go there?

weeeeell, I got rejected from Cambridge and Imperial post-interview, and I have offers from UCL, Bath and Surrey. I really really reeeeally want to go to Imperial; the others just don't measure up to Imperial in terms of reputation, graduate prospects, teaching etc - at least not in my eyes, anyway. And if I went to Imperial I'd get waaaay more money from their student grant because we're pretty poor. Especially if I'm going to be living in London, it'd be nice to have that bit of extra money.
weeeeell, I got rejected from Cambridge and Imperial post-interview, and I have offers from UCL, Bath and Surrey. I really really reeeeally want to go to Imperial; the others just don't measure up to Imperial in terms of reputation, graduate prospects, teaching etc - at least not in my eyes, anyway. And if I went to Imperial I'd get waaaay more money from their student grant because we're pretty poor. Especially if I'm going to be living in London, it'd be nice to have that bit of extra money.

So of those three I'd go for Bath, it has amazing career prospects and a very high percentage of firsts, and just in general has a very good rep.
You get a much higher grant for London because it costs so much more to live there haha - especially as ICL is in knights bridge, it costs about £2500/month to live there. You can't survive in london as a student off your loan alone, you would either need to work every spare hour or have parental backing.
So to summarise I'd pick Bath personally :smile: Cambridge and ICL are not the be-all and end-all!

Posted from TSR Mobile
So of those three I'd go for Bath, it has amazing career prospects and a very high percentage of firsts, and just in general has a very good rep.
You get a much higher grant for London because it costs so much more to live there haha - especially as ICL is in knights bridge, it costs about £2500/month to live there. You can't survive in london as a student off your loan alone, you would either need to work every spare hour or have parental backing.
So to summarise I'd pick Bath personally :smile: Cambridge and ICL are not the be-all and end-all!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm, all very valid points :tongue: thanks for your opinion, I'll think it through some more
Original post by L'Evil Fish

You alright Fish?
Hmm, all very valid points :tongue: thanks for your opinion, I'll think it through some more

Any time :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dalek1099
I have noticed how you haven't started editing the OP yet with how people's applications have went.I have got offers back from all of the 5 universities I applied to(so mark these Green) and I haven't picked my Firm and Insurance yet my Firm will definitely be Cambridge but I am having a bit of a debate with myself about whether to Insure Durham or Warwick I will probably Insure Warwick as it is one of the COWI for Maths.

Although,Durham would have a lot of benefits for me like being close to home and not having to worry about sorting out accommodation for the second,third and fourth years as I will just live at home since it is only a bus ride away from home.

I am going to an open day in the Half Term at Warwick because I realised that I have never been to Warwick compared to visiting Durham University once as well as several visits to the place as it isn't too far away and visiting Cambridge University three times.I will then make my final decision on whether Warwick will be my Insurance or whether it will be Durham.It would have been a bad idea to Insure Warwick if I hadn't been there once as I would have been really panicked once I got in about getting there.

Yeah i've been really limited to my time on here now due to many reasons one after another, but more consistently that TSR has been banned on my schools computers now under "forum chat" -.-

i probably wont update it as i have a really large backflow of stuff to update from like 3 months and thats really the job of the Uni Connect :smile:

glad to hear your mocks went well and about your offers
You alright Fish?

Ermmm

Let's go with a yeah

Makes life easier lel
Original post by drowninginsound
Awesome, I hope you hear back soon and it all goes well. :biggrin: Thanks, I don't really want to go to Durham (I live nearby :tongue:) but I just want to be able to put down my firm/insurance now!

Haha yeah, I've heard it's notoriously bad on results day... :lol:

Hey, just to let you know Track is working now:smile:
Original post by sr234
Hey, just to let you know Track is working now:smile:

Thanks, yeah I decided to check it last night just in case it was working again. :biggrin:

Latest