The Student Room Group

Stupid rules that are set by society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Smash Bandicoot
this is again patriarchy/hypergamy. Absence of/poor education is highly correlated with (but not causative of) poor employment prospects, low income/social status, which makes one essentially inferior in the male social hierarchy and a less attractive mate to hetero-females.

Highly correlated but not always the case my friend. A man can still be attractive to females regardless of whether he had acquired good education or not. There are many men out there who have not succeeded in education. They are still intelligent, they are getting the highest amount of respect that can be achieved and are enjoying life to the maximum; they have the money, the power, the cars, the house and everything else that glamorises life. These are of course the same men who get all the pretty women and these are the same men who have not made an effort to excel in education because they have found alternatives. It sometimes takes some intelligence to do that as well. Anyone who thinks that there is no alternative to education in succeeding in life should get out of their cave and see the actual reality.
the reason for this is largely to do with the maternal-erotic instinct, and to some extent hypergamy. Quite simply a man who regularly works out and pursues other higher-level ambitions is more likely to be disciplined when it comes to career path, and also more likely to stick around when the going gets tough (sleepless nights etc.) in the face of Baby, or other threats. All in all the hunter-gatherer protector-provider instinct is not felt as strongly with a passive gamer which suggests potential lack of responsibility or lack of ambitions i.e. what is colloquially known as 'man child' status.

That's a tad far fetched and overthought don't you think? For me it's just a case of traditionally, boys game more thus a girl gaming is a :O situation
Colour coordination = good

If not, then you don't fit in
Original post by Dee Leigh
You must go to university.

You must get married.

You must have children.

You must be family focus.

Growing up in/living in poverty is your fault.

Adults know best.

The older you are the wiser you are.

Though it's generally the case for an individual. I'm wiser now than I was 5 years ago.
Original post by SweatHeart
That's a tad far fetched and overthought don't you think? For me it's just a case of traditionally, boys game more thus a girl gaming is a :O situation

you've never been rejected because you're a video-gamer rather than something more 'ambitious' or 'sophisticated' then :wink:
Original post by Raymat
Highly correlated but not always the case my friend. A man can still be attractive to females regardless of whether he had acquired good education or not. There are many men out there who have not succeeded in education. They are still intelligent, they are getting the highest amount of respect that can be achieved and are enjoying life to the maximum; they have the money, the power, the cars, the house and everything else that glamorises life. These are of course the same men who get all the pretty women and these are the same men who have not made an effort to excel in education because they have found alternatives. It sometimes takes some intelligence to do that as well. Anyone who thinks that there is no alternative to education in succeeding in life should get out of their cave and see the actual reality.

sounds like you still agree that in absence of education one needs another form of LMS?
sounds like you still agree that in absence of education one needs another form of LMS?

I am not devaluing education. I myself give high regard to education and I believe it is the most common and admired route to success. But I have had enough of all these stupid social stigmas such as "oh you failed your exams, you haven't got much to look forward to in the future!!!" which I get a lot. I am constantly seeing people around the world moving up the ladders of success, giving little regard, if not, no regard to education. One can simply learn from others around them, make friends and 'rub shoulders' with the purpose of opening up many opportunities so they can move on which is also 'education' because it still counts as learning. As opposed to the academic type of education which has some social stigma to it. Who needs other forms of LMS when you've got to where you want in life without it.
Original post by Raymat
I am not devaluing education. I myself give high regard to education and I believe it is the most common and admired route to success. But I have had enough of all these stupid social stigmas such as "oh you failed your exams, you haven't got much to look forward to in the future!!!" which I get a lot. I am constantly seeing people around the world moving up the ladders of success, giving little regard, if not, no regard to education. One can simply learn from others around them, make friends and 'rub shoulders' with the purpose of opening up many opportunities so they can move on which is also 'education' because it still counts as learning. As opposed to the academic type of education which has some social stigma to it. Who needs other forms of LMS when you've got to where you want in life without it.

wait…you're saying it's all about the social skills and effort?
the problem is that if you cry over the wrong thing (read: not traumatic enough) women will see you as a pussy and friend zone you even if they were previously interested. Attraction is amoral

as a general rule one should try to reserve tears of pain for death, funerals or expectant death, perhaps a very rough break-up; tears of joy for weddings, baptisms/Bar Mitzvahs, graduations, etc.

To be honest I find it hard to cry these days. I used to cry constantly in my early teen years.
wait…you're saying it's all about the social skills and effort?

Some people can move forward with education alone. Some people can move forward with just social skills and effort. Some need both. Not everybody is the same.
Original post by Frostyjoe
To be honest I find it hard to cry these days. I used to cry constantly in my early teen years.

**** sorry mate I said the former stuff in Redpill mindset.
Reply 171
I got teased by some office women at college when handing in a form. It had no mobile no on because I didn't have one, never liked the idea of having one. They asked me "How do I contact people?" And "what if you get in danger", well I don't contact people and lol, danger.

I dislike the social norm of having a phone and the idea that if you don't you're a social outcast or 'old fashioned'.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by krands
I got teased by some office women at college when handing in a form. It had no mobile no on because I didn't have one, never liked the idea of having one. They asked me "How do I contact people?" And "what if you get in danger", well I don't contact people and lol, danger.

I dislike the social norm of having a phone and the idea that if you don't you're a social outcast or 'old fashioned'.

For numerous reasons, I don't have my phone on all the time. I also prefer to text people. (partly because I have a habit of texting people when they're likely to be working, or meant to be...) I've lost count of the amount of times I've got moaned at for that. When I've had my phone on, no-one contacts me.:rolleyes:

On a lot of online forms now, they ask for a contact number. I don't like this idea. I don't want to be contacted with all this marketing and you trying to sell me these products and selling my details to other companies.
Original post by Balloon Baboon
You still haven't explained how I am being ignorant. :smile:

doesn't take a genius to work it out:wink:
Original post by Joshale
doesn't take a genius to work it out:wink:

I'm interested in your opinion.
Original post by Joshale
and I agree hard drugs like heroin, meth should stay legal, but MDMA isn't a hardcore drug, which I was mainly on about

Tell that to the family of my friend, who died after taking it last year.
Original post by SA-1
That "killing" is accepted as a joke but "raping" isn't.

"OMG I'm going to kill you!!!"
"Wow, Arsenal killed city"
"He/she is killing his/her exams"

vs

"OMG I'm going to rape you!!!"
"Wow, Arsenal raped city"
"He/she is raping his/her exams"

How is killing any more acceptable, even as a joke, than raping?

Thats a fair point actually

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm with the whole, you must have a mobile phone thing.

I had one for a few years because I "had to" have one. Now? I don't have one. Friends can message me on Facebook when I'm at home, work/universities can email me if they need me, and well, they all have my house number which oddly is never called.

I'm always asked what if I'm in danger or need something?

1) pay phones do still exist. If I really, really, NEED to contact someone I'll stick in 20p and call them.
2) people I'm out with always have there phone. I can use there's to call people.
3) if I'm ever involved in a serious accident then A) I wouldn't want to call anyone and B) chances are someone will be around when it happens to call for help.
4) I'm probably a lot safer and more aware of my surroundings due to having no phone, therefore nothing really valuable on me. Therefore, those with phones, in my mindset, are in more danger than I am.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jimbles
they all have my house number which oddly is never called.

I once got moaned at because of how difficult I am to get hold off. He has my house number, which he's clearly never tried to call, if I am really that hard, in his opinion, to get hold of.
Original post by OU Student
I once got moaned at because of how difficult I am to get hold off. He has my house number, which he's clearly never tried to call, if I am really that hard, in his opinion, to get hold of.

Lol. I'm like hello, I have a house phone, call that. If I'm not there leave a message with my mum or whoever answers. People these days.

I like not having a phone. It's nice to go out without worrying about whether someone has text or called me. Put its also the reason why I've been dumped 3 times lol!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest