The Student Room Group

Old further maths special papers

I will start a new thread posting some challenging questions from old papers.

These questions come from the London Board Spec B and Spec D, which renamed to ULEAC from 1993 to 1997, EdExcel from 1997 and now Pearson.

The actual papers from which these questions have been drawn were called
SPECIALFURTHER MATHS PAPERS or SPECIAL FURTHER PURE MATHS PAPERS .
(2 separate types)

Where marking schemes exist I will eventually post them.

There will be particular useful for people attempting STEP, if they want additional practice with material rarely seen these days.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TeeEm
Special Further Maths Paper 1987, Q1

SPECIAL FURTHER MATHS PAPER 1987, Q1.pdf

Damn, I can't see it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by physicsmaths
Damn, I can't see it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would love to help you but I have no marking scheme for this paper and after a solid day teaching (I start at 7 a.m on Saturdays) and a solid dinner I feel like a hibernating snake at the moment.

try harder
:biggrin:
Original post by TeeEm
I would love to help you but I have no marking scheme for this paper and after a solid day teaching (I start at 7 a.m on Saturdays) and a solid dinner I feel like a hibernating snake at the moment.

try harder
:biggrin:

No I can't see the image lol. The actual question I can't see it visually. Not talking about mathematics lolx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
No I can't see the image lol. The actual question I can't see it visually. Not talking about mathematics lolx

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just tried and it downloads fine

browser problem or your phone ...
Original post by TeeEm
I just tried and it downloads fine

browser problem or your phone ...

iPhone 6?? Maybe it's an apple thing. I'll load on browser instead of app.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
iPhone 6?? Maybe it's an apple thing. I'll load on browser instead of app.

Posted from TSR Mobile

loads fine

it shows 21 views so far
Original post by TeeEm
loads fine

it shows 21 views so far

Yh works fine in the browser.
Also u see all these step type questions etc are they all on your website or all in one place to view?
Reply 8
Yh works fine in the browser.
Also u see all these step type questions etc are they all on your website or all in one place to view?

They are not in my website.
Only items in my site are items I "fully own"

I need permission for these because they are third party.
this is also the reason why I have to put one question a day rather than attach whole papers...
Original post by TeeEm
They are not in my website.
Only items in my site are items I "fully own"

I need permission for these because they are third party.
this is also the reason why I have to put one question a day rather than attach whole papers...

Ah ok. Thanks for the material anyway!
Reply 10
Ah ok. Thanks for the material anyway!

anytime
Original post by TeeEm
Special Further Maths Paper 1987, Q3

Attachment not found

Quick question, do you know what these S levels are. Apparently they were equivalents of step?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
Quick question, do you know what these S levels are. Apparently they were equivalents of step?

Posted from TSR Mobile

different style, roughly the same difficulty
Original post by TeeEm
different style, roughly the same difficulty

Sorry to bother again but do you have access to these papers, if not do you know where I can get these papers from?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14

Posted from TSR Mobile

Optional additional papers that you could sit at the same time as A level. Depending on the exam board they were either graded 1, 2 and U (a bit like step) or Distinction, Merit and Unclassified. Like the A level papers themselves they were 3 hours long, but I think you were only awarded an S level grade if you achieved a B or above in the basic A level itself, or some weird rule like that!
Reply 15
Sorry to bother again but do you have access to these papers, if not do you know where I can get these papers from?

Posted from TSR Mobile

no idea
Original post by TeeEm
Special Further Maths Paper 1987, Q16

SPECIAL FURTHER MATHS PAPER 1987, Q16.pdf

Have you solved this question? I seem to get precisely the opposite result to that quoted: that the KE when pivoted is 3/4 the KE when free.
Reply 17
Original post by atsruser
Have you solved this question? I seem to get precisely the opposite result to that quoted: that the KE when pivoted is 3/4 the KE when free.

I am afraid I have not

very busy these days with other projects/I do not have a marking scheme either for this question
Reply 18
without telling you the obvious there will be rotation about the centre of mass and translation of the centre of mass in the unconstrained case so there are extra bits from that
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by atsruser
Here's my solution which seems to disagree with the result expected in the question.

Spoiler

I cannot see anything wrong with your solution, so

either
there is a mistake (in those days I remember occasionally inside the papers where errata slips which of course has not survived to my hands)

or there is a silly mistake made and we both cannot see it

I will attempt the question from scratch later to see

thanks for pointing it out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending