The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by welcometoib
is culture something that you value over prestige of a firm? seems a lot on here dont really think its important who you work with, rather where. Mind me asking where you are interning this summer? :smile:

I think prestige and culture are closely linked. I have found that the best banks have the nicest staff. I would assume that this is because they fell that they do not need to prove anything. Obviously this is subjective. People who I think are nice may not be the same people you think are nice.

I value culture marginally over prestige. When you have to wake up at 5.30 and leave your gf in bed and go into work, the though of "I work at the top bank" only goes so far, it's a nicer thought to think "oh I wonder how John's trip went, it will be interesting grabbing lunch with him this afternoon, he is such a character". The former thought wares thin after the first few months.

I'm not interning, I already work in a bank.
Original post by Reflektor15
I think prestige and culture are closely linked. I have found that the best banks have the nicest staff. I would assume that this is because they fell that they do not need to prove anything. Obviously this is subjective. People who I think are nice may not be the same people you think are nice.

I value culture marginally over prestige. When you have to wake up at 5.30 and leave your gf in bed and go into work, the though of "I work at the top bank" only goes so far, it's a nicer thought to think "oh I wonder how John's trip went, it will be interesting grabbing lunch with him this afternoon, he is such a character". The former thought wares thin after the first few months.

I'm not interning, I already work in a bank.

ok, to give an anecdotal experience. ive experienced the culture of two europaen bbs, and experienced the culture of the top 3 american bbs. the arrogance ive experienced looking at the latter 3 is heavily higher, compared to the awesome culture tbh, of cs and ubs. now, would i be stupid for choosing that culture over an offer from jpm for instance? i think thats what i was trying to get at basically
Original post by CD315
Apparently it's pretty similar to the telephone interview.

cool, thanks - do you know someone who did it?
Original post by Refrigerator
cool, thanks - do you know someone who did it?

45 min with a couple of bankers and an HR. Essentially competency based - how do you handle conflict in a team, example of a time when you rebuilt a professional relationship with someone after a conflict etc - but do expect them to go off on tangents if you bring up technical stuff, as they will then try to gauge your technical understanding of whatever you brought up by going into detail, which can get tough fast. good luck!
Original post by Wowzerss
When did you find out? They still haven't contacted me which is worrying

I got second round a day after the first.
Guys, any idea what questions will be like (face-to-face)? On the e-mail again it says will be with an investment banker and competency-based (yeah, right). Probably will torture me with maths.
Original post by Purple_fox
I got second round a day after the first.
Guys, any idea what questions will be like (face-to-face)? On the e-mail again it says will be with an investment banker and competency-based (yeah, right). Probably will torture me with maths.

It's not like you have to worry for anything lol
Is there a facebook group for the 2015 MS spring week? Are any offer holders considering making one?
Original post by curiouscyrus
Is there a facebook group for the 2015 MS spring week? Are any offer holders considering making one?

You make one. Show initiative. Banks like this attitude. When you're on your AC fast track, bring up how you created a communication channel for all the offer holders and how you thought networking would provide a platform for further future interactions.
Original post by Abdul-Karim
You make one. Show initiative. Banks like this attitude. When you're on your AC fast track, bring up how you created a communication channel for all the offer holders and how you thought networking would provide a platform for further future interactions.

I completely agree Abdul. However, before proceeding to make a fb group, it is important to coordinate this effort with other offer holders, which is why I am trying to seek them out via the Student Room.

Best of luck with the rest of you applications. You're an absolute star on this forum, especially for advice and support.
Original post by curiouscyrus
I completely agree Abdul. However, before proceeding to make a fb group, it is important to coordinate this effort with other offer holders, which is why I am trying to seek them out via the Student Room.

Best of luck with the rest of you applications. You're an absolute star on this forum, especially for advice and support.

How long after your final round interview did you receive your offer? And how did they contact you?
Any tips for Rothschild? I have no idea what i'm walking into here haha.
Original post by Ajsimbarasi
How long after your final round interview did you receive your offer? And how did they contact you?

As in most cases, I heard a few days after final round. However, this is might not always be the case. Via phone.
Original post by Hazard10i

as usual, smile, confident. :smile: when did you get the invite? nice one
Guys, curiouscyrus and me have set up a FB group for MS Spring Week: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398123310489612/1398125370489406/?notif_t=group_activity
Original post by 你妈的B
45 min with a couple of bankers and an HR. Essentially competency based - how do you handle conflict in a team, example of a time when you rebuilt a professional relationship with someone after a conflict etc - but do expect them to go off on tangents if you bring up technical stuff, as they will then try to gauge your technical understanding of whatever you brought up by going into detail, which can get tough fast. good luck!

great, thanks! how long after the interview do they take to tell you whether you got the offer or not?
Original post by Hazard10i

Hey, I've got my Rothschild interview next week as well.

Do you think the 5min presentation should focus around M&A or could it be anything relevant to economics?
They specifically say 'a deal that you find interesting' for Summer interns but for SW, it says anything you find interesting :/
Guys has anyones applied to the Private Wealth Management division at GS?

I submitted my application early in December but my app status is still 'application received'.

When do you think they will start inviting for interview candidates interested in the IMD (PWM) division?
Original post by Tamagotchi
Hey, I've got my Rothschild interview next week as well.

Do you think the 5min presentation should focus around M&A or could it be anything relevant to economics?
They specifically say 'a deal that you find interesting' for Summer interns but for SW, it says anything you find interesting :/

look at last years sw thread for more help, me personally would do it on anything i found interesting,because then you speak ore confidently and that projects very well. When did you get the invite?
Got an invitation to final round at Goldman Sachs IBD. The email says final round includes 1 interview and is based on competency questions. Why is this the same as 1st round? Any tips or advice on how to prepare?
Original post by collegeboy7
Got an invitation to final round at Goldman Sachs IBD. The email says final round includes 1 interview and is based on competency questions. Why is this the same as 1st round? Any tips or advice on how to prepare?

Asked same question on previous page haha. When is your interview?

Latest

Trending

Trending