The Student Room Group

A2 stress!

Has anybody got any good tips for efficient revision? I can't seem to get anything stuck in to my head, and I'm so worried about not getting into university! I really wanna do well this year but I'm just feeling so depressed.
Reply 1
The most important thing is to get you in the right mind set to actually concentrate, if you are feeling depressed then you might find that whatever is bothering you is not letting you learn. The stress from A levels itself can really be a let down. Try to read and repeat out load some parts of the topic, then write them down from the top of your head and check to see what's wrong/missing. Maybe you could record yourself going through your notes and re-listen to it, mind maps can also help, or the chunking method where you break down each topic into smaller bits until you have a word and a brief description. There are many ways to do it, you have to find what work best for you, but nothing better than past papers! And get them marked by your teachers to avoid bias. If you put the work in you will be fine, don't be let down!
Original post by sporadic_
Has anybody got any good tips for efficient revision? I can't seem to get anything stuck in to my head, and I'm so worried about not getting into university! I really wanna do well this year but I'm just feeling so depressed.

The key to revision is making sure that you actually understand the content. If you don't, you're unlikely to perform well in the exams. So, to start with, make concise notes from a variety of sources such as your text books, revision guides, class notes etc., and integrate the information. Make some revision cards and keep them on you so when you have a few minutes spare, you can refresh your mind on a specific topic. Another good revision aid comes in the form of posters and mind-maps, these are particularly good if you see yourself as a visual learner (make it colourful and interesting, but concise!).

Once you've learnt the basics, you need to start completing past papers. Past papers are a really great way of learning new knowledge and consolidating what you already know. To begin with, complete the past papers at your own pace, just use this time to understand the exam style and structure. As your knowledge of the exam and its content grows, so will your confidence. Move onto completing the papers in timed conditions, but understanding exam style is vital (i.e. what do examiners look for in answers?). When marking your past papers, go through the mark scheme thoroughly.

I'd also suggest looking into developing a revision timetable. This usually helps people stay motivated.

You WILL get into university this year. Just remember what your end goal is, it will motivate you and you WILL achieve what you want.
Reply 3
Original post by TheStudent18
The key to revision is making sure that you actually understand the content. If you don't, you're unlikely to perform well in the exams. So, to start with, make concise notes from a variety of sources such as your text books, revision guides, class notes etc., and integrate the information. Make some revision cards and keep them on you so when you have a few minutes spare, you can refresh your mind on a specific topic. Another good revision aid comes in the form of posters and mind-maps, these are particularly good if you see yourself as a visual learner (make it colourful and interesting, but concise!).

Once you've learnt the basics, you need to start completing past papers. Past papers are a really great way of learning new knowledge and consolidating what you already know. To begin with, complete the past papers at your own pace, just use this time to understand the exam style and structure. As your knowledge of the exam and its content grows, so will your confidence. Move onto completing the papers in timed conditions, but understanding exam style is vital (i.e. what do examiners look for in answers?). When marking your past papers, go through the mark scheme thoroughly.

I'd also suggest looking into developing a revision timetable. This usually helps people stay motivated.

You WILL get into university this year. Just remember what your end goal is, it will motivate you and you WILL achieve what you want.

Thank you so much! I shall definitely take that on board. You've really helped! :smile:
Thank you so much! I shall definitely take that on board. You've really helped! :smile:

Any time :smile:. If you need any more help, just PM me or quote me.

Hey there! :hello:

First off, welcome to TSR, I hope you're finding everything okay at the moment :smile:

With regards to revision, tips that I would regularly use for my A levels were to re-read chapters of books over and over again and then summarise them into small chunks and write post-it notes on the important points.

It also depends upon what subject you take. If you take more essay based subjects such as History, English (Lang + Lit), Psychology etc., then it is definitely worth re-reading books you've been given, also read revision books (e.g. - York Notes for English). Nearer the time of the exam, time yourself writing essays to give yourself enough practice to write efficiently and quickly on the day - you'll also be able to check your work comfortably without worrying about squeezing for time!

If you are taking more traditional subjects such as Maths, Further Maths, and the Sciences, then my best advice would be to re-read the textbook, understand the topic, try past paper questions based on that topic so then that way you can effectively answer the questions even in the exam :smile: For Sciences, especially ISA's, it's worth noting that you can research the topic you will be doing for the experiment online to give you an idea of what you will be working on and what kinds of questions may come up in the paper (although they'll usually be on the topic you've been covering in the past few months anyway)

A level forum: here
Study help: here

Hope this helps! Keep calm and always keep yourself motivated (I know sometimes that be hard)! Let me know if you have any more troubles :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Atunu
The most important thing is to get you in the right mind set to actually concentrate, if you are feeling depressed then you might find that whatever is bothering you is not letting you learn. The stress from A levels itself can really be a let down. Try to read and repeat out load some parts of the topic, then write them down from the top of your head and check to see what's wrong/missing. Maybe you could record yourself going through your notes and re-listen to it, mind maps can also help, or the chunking method where you break down each topic into smaller bits until you have a word and a brief description. There are many ways to do it, you have to find what work best for you, but nothing better than past papers! And get them marked by your teachers to avoid bias. If you put the work in you will be fine, don't be let down!

It's just so difficult, when I learn and understand something but I'll forget it within a week. And I can never hack exam style questions. I always do so bad in my essays even though class work and notes are to a high standard. I'm just so worried that I'm going to slip up during finals this year :frown:
Reply 7
It's just so difficult, when I learn and understand something but I'll forget it within a week. And I can never hack exam style questions. I always do so bad in my essays even though class work and notes are to a high standard. I'm just so worried that I'm going to slip up during finals this year :frown:

I know, I feel the pain, the hardest bit is definitely the exam questions, but as said by the others you will find that the more past papers you do the easier it gets! Plus, if your class work is up to standard you are doing something right! If you keep working hard your essays will be good too, focus on the things you know the least even though it sounds daunting, and it's normal to forget what you learn when there is such a big workload. Maybe save one day a week to do a review of the whole week's work to refresh your memory? Don't worry about that, your work will be worth it in the end!
Reply 8
Original post by Lovinlife2
Hey there! :hello:

First off, welcome to TSR, I hope you're finding everything okay at the moment :smile:

With regards to revision, tips that I would regularly use for my A levels were to re-read chapters of books over and over again and then summarise them into small chunks and write post-it notes on the important points.

It also depends upon what subject you take. If you take more essay based subjects such as History, English (Lang + Lit), Psychology etc., then it is definitely worth re-reading books you've been given, also read revision books (e.g. - York Notes for English). Nearer the time of the exam, time yourself writing essays to give yourself enough practice to write efficiently and quickly on the day - you'll also be able to check your work comfortably without worrying about squeezing for time!

If you are taking more traditional subjects such as Maths, Further Maths, and the Sciences, then my best advice would be to re-read the textbook, understand the topic, try past paper questions based on that topic so then that way you can effectively answer the questions even in the exam :smile: For Sciences, especially ISA's, it's worth noting that you can research the topic you will be doing for the experiment online to give you an idea of what you will be working on and what kinds of questions may come up in the paper (although they'll usually be on the topic you've been covering in the past few months anyway)

A level forum: here
Study help: here

Hope this helps! Keep calm and always keep yourself motivated (I know sometimes that be hard)! Let me know if you have any more troubles :smile:

Hello! Thank you so much for responding. I only just joined yesterday still trying to get the grips of it, but everyone seems so helpful!

I'm doing Photography, Sociology and RS so it's more essay based. My classwork is to a really high standard and I usually do well in class over the year, but come exam time I just do so bad. I cannot do timed essays and I get depressed so quickly! But I really wanna do well this year. I shall deffo taken on what you've said, and thank you for providing those links! :smile:
Focus on the here and now.
Don't think about the future and uni- because it doesn't help with your mindset, or with work productivity.
Be logical, and plan work in the day. Don't expect to get ridiculous amounts done every day. Have a clear schedule.
One step at a time.
Be positive, and recognise your own potential, rather than focusing on the possibility of not achieving what you want to achieve.

Quick Reply

Latest