The Student Room Group

Computer Science at Cambridge

Hey,

This is my first post on this forum so I don't know if it should be elsewhere if so please move it to the correct area. I am mid way through my AS year at school and am already looking at uni courses (scary!). My real ambition would be to go to Cambridge as I have always admired the university there ever since I was little. At the moment I am really considering Computer Science at University as it is a field that really interests me although I am still undecided with Engineering being another option.

A bit of Academic Background,

I am studying Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Economics at AS level and plan to take at least the first 3 forward to A2. I achieved 9A*s/9 at IGCSE and am doing well in my AS levels to date.

The issue I am debating is next year should I take Further Maths AS as it seems to be preferred for the courses I am considering, I would be interested to know what the community here thinks.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Head over to a chap named 'Jake Wright' he is currently studying Comp-Sci at Cambridge after achieving 4 A*'s at A-level in: Computing, Physics, Maths, Further Maths and he does some advice videos and other Cambridge related videos. As for applying for computer science at university, that is the course I applied for and I have 4 offers as of yet and 1 rejection and I can tell you from extensive research and doing Computing A-level that it is a very fun, problematic course and is fun for anyone with a drive to solve problems and be creative.
I'm in the same position but am taking Maths, Physics, Psychology and Computing? Does anyone have any idea of how many people who don't take Further Maths receive offers from Oxbridge for Computer Science? Thanks.
I'm also looking at applying to Cambridge for Computer Science :smile: I got 8 A*s 2 As and A in Add Maths at GCSE, and I'm taking A2 Maths this year (Further next year) and Physics and Electronics.

With regards to taking Further Maths next year, I'd say go for it - I'm looking forward to it, and there's no way extra, harder maths can be bad for you. Cambridge don't ask for Further Maths for Computer Science (only Maths is a must have), but it's probably one of the best courses you could do before Computer Science (the IT teachers at my school don't think very highly of Computer Science A Levels and GCSEs), and will help you even if you don't go for Computer Science.
Original post by LeKyleRemzi
Head over to a chap named 'Jake Wright' he is currently studying Comp-Sci at Cambridge after achieving 4 A*'s at A-level in: Computing, Physics, Maths, Further Maths and he does some advice videos and other Cambridge related videos. As for applying for computer science at university, that is the course I applied for and I have 4 offers as of yet and 1 rejection and I can tell you from extensive research and doing Computing A-level that it is a very fun, problematic course and is fun for anyone with a drive to solve problems and be creative.

That's really helpful information thank you!
Reply 5
Cambridge would very much like to make further maths a requirement for compsci, but they can't given that not all schools offer it. You might as well do it, because you will find most of it in first year anyways, and it will be easier if you've seen some of it before.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending