The Student Room Group

How do young people get so much money?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Blue_Mason
its is but when you compare it towards high fashion items then you get my point.For example
A givenchy T shirt costs £400
Balmain jeans cost £700
Rick owen trainers cost £700
I could wear a watch that is worth over 10k and you wouldn't even notice
Yes I do have financial responsibility but I do not choose to live such a materialistic lifestyle as I much favor a frugal but comfortable one.

only idiots wear givenchy t-shirts

for clothes that normal people can wear, ralph lauren is a slightly pricey option as with all the other designers in its class like ted baker/hugo boss etc.
Tax money wasted yet again

I mean they are whole day meetings and sometimes you only get the money if:
You attend the both meetings regarding the matter
They feel you were worthwhile to the organisation

So to some extent it can be argued that it is almost like a job. I recieved £25 for attending a 10 hour meeting (over two days)

Personally, I would be willing to attend even without the money as I genuinely enjoy them and consider it as volunteering (I donate the money to charity).
Old money?
Corporate *******s.
Original post by Olympiad
I mean they are whole day meetings and sometimes you only get the money if:
You attend the both meetings regarding the matter
They feel you were worthwhile to the organisation

So to some extent it can be argued that it is almost like a job. I recieved £25 for attending a 10 hour meeting (over two days)

Personally, I would be willing to attend even without the money as I genuinely enjoy them and consider it as volunteering (I donate the money to charity).

If only the rest of society had such ethics
Drugs & Human Trafficking
hard work and sex appeal
One of my friends has a very nice brand new car, always has the latest phones, fashions etc. The truth is that he's on £20k a year, has everything on finance (so pays monthly for it) and lives with his parents rent free.

A LOT of people live with their parents much longer these days, either because they can't get a job to allow them to get a place of their own, or because (like my friend) they prioritise a different lifestyle and would rather spend their wages on flashy things than something responsible :wink:. Plus he's a complete mummy's boy, so she's thrilled.
They work fot it rather than sitting on their ass crying about it like the rest of us maggots. They have superior discipline and self control, perhaps even smarter than you.
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
One of my friends has a very nice brand new car, always has the latest phones, fashions etc. The truth is that he's on £20k a year, has everything on finance (so pays monthly for it) and lives with his parents rent free.

A LOT of people live with their parents much longer these days, either because they can't get a job to allow them to get a place of their own, or because (like my friend) they prioritise a different lifestyle and would rather spend their wages on flashy things than something responsible :wink:. Plus he's a complete mummy's boy, so she's thrilled.

Is he in debt?
Well, the late 20s/early 30s is usually around the time a lot of grandparents kick the bucket, sooooo......
Also, some are rich, some are doing slightly demeaning jobs (there's been a rise in pole dancing uni students recently) and some of them have just got lucky and got themselves a sweet job on their own merits. :biggrin:
Reply 51
Original post by Trihawk7
Where I live I see people driving 40k cars while they're only in their late 20s/early 30s. No they're not used, they're 64 plate cars and they are driven by young people, how do they do that?

Company cars or Finance
The deposits for leasing is still like 6k... htf can you save that **** up? then add in the monthly... Or finance, the monthly is even higher...

Not everyone can have rich parents... Rentals can be true but still, not every car can be a rental

If your earning an average wage of nearly £2k a month then it's possible. I checked online and you can lease a £56k M3 for about £600 per month. Paying £500 per month for a £40k car would be hard but not impossible,
Where I live I see people driving 40k cars while they're only in their late 20s/early 30s. No they're not used, they're 64 plate cars and they are driven by young people, how do they do that?

Even if you start a job at 26k after graduation and quickly get yourself to 35k, it'll still be hard trying to afford such a car, including mortgages and what have you. Am I missing something? These people can't all be business owners or are they not saving for the future eg. pensions?

I probably sound stupid asking this but it boggles my mind on how young people can afford such things...

a lot of them are involved in crime such as the evil drugs trade. or they are estate agents.
[INDENT]
Original post by keromedic
Is he in debt?

No he can afford his monthly payments on things, but isn't saving a penny towards getting his own place. & his parents pay for his bills, food etc.

Actually sounds awesome! Lol.
Reply 55
its is but when you compare it towards high fashion items then you get my point.For example
A givenchy T shirt costs £400
Balmain jeans cost £700
Rick owen trainers cost £700
I could wear a watch that is worth over 10k and you wouldn't even notice
Yes I do have financial responsibility but I do not choose to live such a materialistic lifestyle as I much favor a frugal but comfortable one.

I'm not comparing it to higher valued items, I am comparing it to their salary.
i'm fabulous.
..\(•_•)
.....) )z
...../ \
(edited 9 years ago)

Even if you start a job at 26k after graduation and quickly get yourself to 35k, it'll still be hard trying to afford such a car, including mortgages and what have you. Am I missing something? These people can't all be business owners or are they not saving for the future eg. pensions?

I probably sound stupid asking this but it boggles my mind on how young people can afford such things...

a large amount of 20 somethings in london are there for finance careers, and most have parents or some financial leeway to fall back on hence spend a bit reckless.
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox

This is just ludicrous, an absolute idiot. These people will never become rich.
They dont even own anything they have....
Original post by Zenarthra
This is just ludicrous, an absolute idiot. These people will never become rich.
They dont even own anything they have....

Well it depends what you value doesn't it. Does it matter if he owns it? He's still having the experience of using the things and having fun. And why do we want to be rich? What's the point of having no fun but having money?

Edit: and also, once the repayments are made, he does own the things!
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest