The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Is it just me who feels their blood start to boil reading this thread?

To answer the thread, I'd probably say my skepticism of the degree to which mankind is directly influencing climate change.

I've debated with many people on this subject and watched people with Meterological degrees battle it out on both sides. Vested interests are apparent on 'for' and 'against' too.

Long term weather drivers are resulting in the predictions of early millennia (ie huge global warming) to be untrue. Despite, these temporary drivers forcing the warming down (therefore when they reverse I foresee bigger increases) I still don't accept we as humans are irrefutably to blame. Yes, we're having an impact but I can't see how we are causing it all.

I do believe we should bring back the death penalty for extreme cases.

I don't believe prisoners should be allowed to vote.

The human rights of those convicted of terrorism should be less than those of innocent people (not removed, doesn't mean they can be abused juts deported/face trial more quickly).

I believe we are top of the chain and are superior to other animals. Thus, I subscribe to anthropocentrism. Therefore, disagreeing with green peace/ Green Party as in reality those ideological disagreements manifest themselves into policies.

(Seems to be a rare view in here so I'll post it) I'm reasonably in favour of the monarchy - not a raving monarchist though.
Original post by _Charlotte15
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1422145498.278545.jpg
Where are you getting your facts from? Just found the complete contradiction to your post before.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your poster doesn't contradict anything I've said.

If you want me to link evidence for my facts be specific, there are lots of them and I'm not going to cite the evidence for all of them without request.
Religious people should be banned from casual sex (only atheists should be allowed it..)

There should be a licence to have children, and to vote.

Pop culture media outlets should be outlawed.

All drugs should be legal.

All government documents should be printed in English only (and Welsh in Wales and Scots and Gaelic in Scotland).

The UN Security council should be disbanded and it should be a five year rotation of all members, not just the "most powerful" ones.

People who cannot accept modern values should have the option of emigrating to a less developed country.
Society is legit not ready for one of my views yet

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Birkenhead
These mutations sometimes lead to cancerous tumors, but they mostly do not. That is why 85% of lifetime male smokers and about 90% of lifetime female smokers do not get lung cancer.

You said 85% of smokers do not get lung cancer however, my poster said that 84% of lung cancer deaths are caused by smoking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
You said 85% of smokers do not get lung cancer however, my poster said that 84% of lung cancer deaths are caused by smoking?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes. Those are the facts. Most people with lung cancer got it by smoking, but most people who smoke will never get lung cancer.
Original post by hamix.forllz
Religious people should be banned from casual sex (only atheists should be allowed it..)

There should be a licence to have children, and to vote.

Pop culture media outlets should be outlawed.

All drugs should be legal.

All government documents should be printed in English only (and Welsh in Wales and Scots and Gaelic in Scotland).

The UN Security council should be disbanded and it should be a five year rotation of all members, not just the "most powerful" ones.

People who cannot accept modern values should have the option of emigrating to a less developed country.

Couldn't help but notice the "Scots and Gaelic" don't think scots is a recognised, widely spoken or widely used language up here

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Xin Xang
Anyone who wishes to vote in a parliamentary election must pass a difficult critical thinking test beforehand.

So essentially the most intelligent individuals on the subject should make the decisions about how the country is run? Sounds familiar, doesn't it...:wink:
Yes. Those are the facts. Most people with lung cancer got it by smoking, but most people who smoke will never get lung cancer.

How does that even work? It's just reversed?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SerLorasTyrell
Couldn't help but notice the "Scots and Gaelic" don't think scots is a recognised, widely spoken or widely used language up here

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is...by both the Scottish Government and Westminster.....and as it's traditional and possibly the closest relation to English, it should over Bengali or Urdu...
Original post by TheTruthTeller
Hmmm ok....

Wait Islam or muslims?
Do you think that every single muslim is evil. Ironic because I think many Germans would have thought the exact same thing about the Jews.

and im sure the jews think the exact same thing about the nazis.

islam or muslims? both.

to me its like saying nazis? or nazism?

and no i don't think every muslim is evil. just as im sure there were nice people that lived in and supported nazi germany.
not the soldiers. but the normal people. the bakers, the postmen, nurses. normal every day people who didnt engage in the violence but were just supporters of hitler and nazi germany.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No? Most people who smoke aren't going to get lung cancer. However, of the people who do get lung cancer, practically all are smokers. So whilst most smokers don't get lung cancer, smoking is practically the only cause of getting lung cancer.
Original post by Chlorophile
No? Most people who smoke aren't going to get lung cancer. However, of the people who do get lung cancer, practically all are smokers. So whilst most smokers don't get lung cancer, smoking is practically the only cause of getting lung cancer.

Right Okayy

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, it isn't. Here is a Venn diagram. The big circle represents smokers, the small circle represents people with lung cancer. You can see that people with lung cancer are mostly smokers, but also that most smokers do not have and will not get lung cancer.

1422146913579.jpg
Original post by Unistudent77
Is it just me who feels their blood start to boil reading this thread?

To answer the thread, I'd probably say my skepticism of the degree to which mankind is directly influencing climate change.

I've debated with many people on this subject and watched people with Meterological degrees battle it out on both sides. Vested interests are apparent on 'for' and 'against' too.

Long term weather drivers are resulting in the predictions of early millennia (ie huge global warming) to be untrue. Despite, these temporary drivers forcing the warming down (therefore when they reverse I foresee bigger increases) I still don't accept we as humans are irrefutably to blame. Yes, we're having an impact but I can't see how we are causing it all.

What on earth? I really don't think you've researched this enough if you genuinely think the bolded text is incorrect. The predictions for climate change are not untrue, most of them have been exceeded. Humans are irrefutably to blame, whether or not you "accept it" is irrelevant because it doesn't make the science any less correct. If you "can't see how we are causing it at all" then I strongly recommend you pick up a basic science book and start reading. The basic science isn't that difficult to understand.
Original post by Chlorophile

10-15% of people with lung cancer are not smokers, so it certainly isn't 'practically the only cause'.
10-15% of people with lung cancer are not smokers, so it certainly isn't 'practically the only cause'.

You're the one who was arguing earlier about what a small percentage 10-15% is...
Original post by Mick.w
and im sure the jews think the exact same thing about the nazis.

islam or muslims? both.

to me its like saying nazis? or nazism?

and no i don't think every muslim is evil. just as im sure there were nice people that lived in and supported nazi germany.
not the soldiers. but the normal people. the bakers, the postmen, nurses. normal every day people who didnt engage in the violence but were just supporters of hitler and nazi germany.

But Nazism is a political ideology. One can follow the Koran in mutliple way and can have multiple interpretations of it. Your parallel between Muslims and Nazis is ridiculous to say the least.
Original post by SH0405
Please no. Not the 'Treat-others-how-you'd-like-to-be-treated-and-the-world-will-be-harmonious' argument.

erm...because the world is a complex place...and tit for tat and an eye for an eye doesn't always work...dismiss it as PC *******s all you want, but then either get schooled or accept it's how human psychology works (and has been known to work for centuries...)
Original post by hamix.forllz
It is...by both the Scottish Government and Westminster.....and as it's traditional and possibly the closest relation to English, it should over Bengali or Urdu...

Almost everyone only speaks English or Scottish English though so your policy doesn't make any sense.

Latest