The Student Room Group

Gas issue - Dad left the gas on in cooker

Basically very little noise and I was dizzy upstairs after a nap. I was walking around the kitchen for a bit and I heart a little whimpering from the cooker, turns out the gas was not closed and the whole house was filled with gas. Of course with modern natural gas I don't think it has a scent. I opened the windows and closed the thing for a whlle , it is now just the house that stinks of gas. Actually quite afraid of these things.

I know that there can only be carbon monoxide produced if there is a lack of oxygen. However there could have been an explosion.

Such bull****, I wish people took more care. I was so angry and afraid. It was open for hours. Is there any precautions I should take to avoid anything that could kill everyone in the house?

Scroll to see replies

Yeah don't switch anything electric on cos of any potential electric spark. Open all windows. Gas does have a smell btw. And u only get carbon monoxide in incomplete combustion but I am assuming you just left the gas on not a fire? Plus if it was carbon monoxide u wld just go unconscious and die ur body wld not wake at all because CO basically hoggs all the red blood cells and unlike co2 that is exchanged for oxygen in ur lungs the co stays attached to the red blood cells meaning that with each breath u take less oxygen until u die. If u are really worried just make everyone leave the house and calk the fire brigade or something. Good luck.
Sorry just re reading that I think I sounded a bit blunt. But u will be completely fine if you just air it all out.
Reply 3
Have you said this to your father? :rolleyes:

If you've switched it off and windows have been opened, it's more than enough. Now go to bed.
Reply 4
Original post by tinababy
Yeah don't switch anything electric on cos of any potential electric spark. Open all windows. Gas does have a smell btw. And u only get carbon monoxide in incomplete combustion but I am assuming you just left the gas on not a fire? Plus if it was carbon monoxide u wld just go unconscious and die ur body wld not wake at all because CO basically hoggs all the red blood cells and unlike co2 that is exchanged for oxygen in ur lungs the co stays attached to the red blood cells meaning that with each breath u take less oxygen until u die. If u are really worried just make everyone leave the house and calk the fire brigade or something. Good luck.

I think it's fine now, thank God I spotted it and that I have such a big appetite. Got to admit, carbon monoxide scares the life out of me.
Reply 5
Original post by SMEGGGY
Have you said this to your father? :rolleyes:

If you've switched it off and windows have been opened, it's more than enough. Now go to bed.

Yeah , I woke him up and called him out on it. Very pissed off, I feel dizzy.
Reply 6
Original post by Tom_Ford

Still? how much did you inhale? is it definitely switched off?

*Sniffs*

Yikes. Remember when my nan did this, I can relate. It's a surreal thought to think you were a strike of a match, or the lighting of a cigarette away from a gas explosion...

Mind you, that's a glass half empty if I ever saw one. :redface:
Reply 8
Original post by SMEGGGY
Still? how much did you inhale? is it definitely switched off?

*Sniffs*

Enough to kill a smaller man.
I think it's fine now, thank God I spotted it and that I have such a big appetite. Got to admit, carbon monoxide scares the life out of me.

Haha yeah well you were lucky that u woke up... I can sleep through anything even a burglar or fire alarm which I've done loads of times. I am **** scared of CO as well I think its an awful way to die. I'm glad its all ok tho :smile: still advisable to have a chat with ur dad about it cos it was very dangerous.
Reply 10
Haha yeah well you were lucky that u woke up... I can sleep through anything even a burglar or fire alarm which I've done loads of times. I am **** scared of CO as well I think its an awful way to die. I'm glad its all ok tho :smile: still advisable to have a chat with ur dad about it cos it was very dangerous.

Yeah, just given me a fresh perspective on life, I could have died. I want to do some messed up crazy YOLO **** now.
Enough to kill a smaller man.

Be thankful you're not small.
Yeah, just given me a fresh perspective on life, I could have died. I want to do some messed up crazy YOLO **** now.

Hahaha really?! If that happened to me id be like rocking forwards and backwards from the trauma of nearly dying :tongue: good luck with the yolo **** tho :wink: what do u have in mind? Getting high on helium? Laughing gas? Haha sorry probs a bit inappropriate :tongue:
my dad bought a monitor that reads the levels of carbon monoxide in the kitchen. perhaps you should do the same.
Reply 14
Hahaha really?! If that happened to me id be like rocking forwards and backwards from the trauma of nearly dying :tongue: good luck with the yolo **** tho :wink: what do u have in mind? Getting high on helium? Laughing gas? Haha sorry probs a bit inappropriate :tongue:

I have nearly died enough times already to know that i'm nearing the end of my nine lives.

In short, make a lot of love and happiness happen.
Reply 15
Original post by sherlockfan
my dad bought a monitor that reads the levels of carbon monoxide in the kitchen. perhaps you should do the same.

Fire alarm did not go off, strange.
Fire alarm did not go off, strange.

not really. fire alarms dont detect carbon monoxide.
Reply 17
Original post by sherlockfan
not really. fire alarms dont detect carbon monoxide.

You're right, going to buy myself a carbon monoxide detector.
You're right, going to buy myself a carbon monoxide detector.

good idea :yy:

this is my one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kidde-Battery-Premium-Monoxide-Digital/dp/B0030BEM0K/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1422152337&sr=8-8&keywords=carbon+monoxide+detector

but there are cheaper options.
A carbon monoxide scare is awful, thank God you and your family are okay.

Quick Reply

Latest