The Student Room Group

Thoughts on Azealia Banks?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jedanselemyia
When it comes to black issues, there seems to be 2 kind of people: those who can manage to stay calm and poised and those who get really angry and emotional. She seems to belong in the latter.
Definitely wasn't lol, even though I love the album for what it is.

Are you black? And yeah she falls into the latter. And the stuff she started saying later on didn't really fall under black issues, she made a point and then said "Yeah, black people". I kinda only respect her for calling out Iggy about her "slave master" lyric too.

I tried to "love" it but it's so so. Doesn't help she keeps being interviewed and saying more and more aggressive stuff too.
Original post by somemightsay888
Are you black? And yeah she falls into the latter. And the stuff she started saying later on didn't really fall under black issues, she made a point and then said "Yeah, black people". I kinda only respect her for calling out Iggy about her "slave master" lyric too.

I tried to "love" it but it's so so. Doesn't help she keeps being interviewed and saying more and more aggressive stuff too.

Yup, I'm half black and I also belong to the latter group. But I strive to become calmer.
Some songs were so so, yeah.
Like she said, she needs to put her thoughts in essays and texts, so it can be better received.
Original post by Mr...
She throws too much shade at other artists :yep:

In a good or bad way? :smile:
When it comes to black issues, there seems to be 2 kind of people: those who can manage to stay calm and poised and those who get really angry and emotional. She seems to belong in the latter.
Definitely wasn't lol, even though I love the album for what it is.

I understand what your saying and I do think there are issues but I'm one of those black people that thinks the issues need to be sorted in amongst black people. Azealia banks clearly has some personal problems that she's found easier to take out on others rather than herself. A bit like a bully. I don't think she's horrible though. Far from. Just sad and I don't believe its just the Iggy situation making her sad either.

I actually do a lot of research with learning about black people in the western world and why there are so many issues with us progressing up the social ladder till this day. One think I believe is that the thing stopping us largely sits amongst us and racism from the general public not existing, wouldn't improve that. So I hate when I hear people say white privilege and how they get upset. You should try and research on the deeper issues as to why black people still suffer from coming out of slavery. Sadly they live in our psyche.

If you want me to go into more then I can..
Original post by Mr...
Bad :redface:
Google: "To throw shade meaning":tongue:

I just did! ^^
But there seems to be "good" shade (ie calling out someone who deserves it) and "bad" shade.
She's done both lol.
Original post by Ambrosia_angel
I understand what your saying and I do think there are issues but I'm one of those black people that thinks the issues need to be sorted in amongst black people. Azealia banks clearly has some personal problems that she's found easier to take out on others rather than herself. A bit like a bully. I don't think she's horrible though. Far from. Just sad and I don't believe its just the Iggy situation making her sad either.

I actually do a lot of research with learning about black people in the western world and why there are so many issues with us progressing up the social ladder till this day. One think I believe is that the thing stopping us largely sits amongst us and racism from the general public not existing, wouldn't improve that. So I hate when I hear people say white privilege and how they get upset. You should try and research on the deeper issues as to why black people still suffer from coming out of slavery. Sadly they live in our psyche.

If you want me to go into more then I can..

Definitely. Do you think post slavery syndrome exists? And I've read the Willie Lynch letter.

It's not just Iggy, yeah. In Azealia's interview on Hot97, you can see her crying a few times on topics like cultural appropriation of black culture, the lack of acknowledgement for black history (something that gets at me too)...
But I still think that oppression for Western society, especially white privilege is part of the problem.

And please do get into more detail :smile:
It's really interesting.
Definitely. Do you think post slavery syndrome exists? And I've read the Willie Lynch letter.

It's not just Iggy, yeah. In Azealia's interview on Hot97, you can see her crying a few times on topics like cultural appropriation of black culture, the lack of acknowledgement for black history (something that gets at me too)...
But I still think that oppression for Western society, especially white privilege is part of the problem.

And please do get into more detail :smile:
It's really interesting.

With me I generally don't care about celebrities. I'm always neutral. But im not a fan of Iggy. I didn't like her lyrics and i don't believe she was that dumb to not realise the meaning.

The issue comes from how we see ourselves. You don't have to go far on twitter and YouTube to her people talking about light skin dark skin as if we still have shackles on out legs!! Its a joke to a lot but a very serious topic. The racial discrimination from black people against other black people is disgusting. Hearing people say charcoal, tar, blick, and other horrible rude names to describe other black people. Even people i know who always say that every skin colour is beautiful have later made negative casual comments which made me realise that this **** is breeding in our minds! literally!

Then you have men like Tommy Sotomayor on YouTube chatting **** about black women which is horrible. He literally blames black women for all the issues in the black community. I used to think he was okay at first then I watched a few more videos of him and realised this is bad! So I did some background research and learnt why he was doing all that horrible hating. The worst thing about his videos is that hundreds of black men will be on there agreeing and that goes to another people that I do think we live in a world where black men still reject black women on quite a large scale. There are issues with coupling because too many black men are incarcerated.

Then with black women theres a lot of self hate its so sad. A lot of black women who have beautiful hair choose to wear hair from white and Asian women's heads. I do believe that weaves have become cultural in a way because so many black women wear them. Most weaves also bare very little resemblance to how 90% of black peoples hair looks like. The chemicals then the weaves to cover up the chemical damage then the wigs to cover up the traction aleoplica. Its a horrible cycle. And skin bleaching is apparently still an epidemic and looks like its getting worse?!

The media places a big role but I also think the subconscious negative attitudes that a lot of black people make around their children are even more significant.

There are media issues like not enough darker skinned black women in hollywood. I could list 10 famous black men who played positive main roles in Hollywood movies last year but probably only 3 for black women. One being the popular lupita nyongo.

Other stuff too...
With me I generally don't care about celebrities. I'm always neutral. But im not a fan of Iggy. I didn't like her lyrics and i don't believe she was that dumb to not realise the meaning.

The issue comes from how we see ourselves. You don't have to go far on twitter and YouTube to her people talking about light skin dark skin as if we still have shackles on out legs!! Its a joke to a lot but a very serious topic. The racial discrimination from black people against other black people is disgusting. Hearing people say charcoal, tar, blick, and other horrible rude names to describe other black people. Even people i know who always say that every skin colour is beautiful have later made negative casual comments which made me realise that this **** is breeding in our minds! literally!

Then you have men like Tommy Sotomayor on YouTube chatting **** about black women which is horrible. He literally blames black women for all the issues in the black community. I used to think he was okay at first then I watched a few more videos of him and realised this is bad! So I did some background research and learnt why he was doing all that horrible hating. The worst thing about his videos is that hundreds of black men will be on there agreeing and that goes to another people that I do think we live in a world where black men still reject black women on quite a large scale. There are issues with coupling because too many black men are incarcerated.

Then with black women theres a lot of self hate its so sad. A lot of black women who have beautiful hair choose to wear hair from white and Asian women's heads. I do believe that weaves have become cultural in a way because so many black women wear them. Most weaves also bare very little resemblance to how 90% of black peoples hair looks like. The chemicals then the weaves to cover up the chemical damage then the wigs to cover up the traction aleoplica. Its a horrible cycle. And skin bleaching is apparently still an epidemic and looks like its getting worse?!

The media places a big role but I also think the subconscious negative attitudes that a lot of black people make around their children are even more significant.

There are media issues like not enough darker skinned black women in hollywood. I could list 10 famous black men who played positive main roles in Hollywood movies last year but probably only 3 for black women. One being the popular lupita nyongo.

Other stuff too...

Maybe Iggy thought that she could get away with that :tongue:
Anyway, you're right, it's not that important.

And I feel with you on this point. Being lightskin or darkskin doesn't matter, we're all black.
I'm half white, half black and I've been told that I don't even look half white (white people told me this.)
I remember my aunt asking my mum for some products because she was "too black". That shocked me a lot. My aunts and uncle are what you would call "dark black" people. And I found this soo beautiful, especially since their skin is smooth and perfect.
My mum used to bleach her skin, but she stopped thankfully.

This divide between black men and women is something I don't understand!!!!
Especially black men, like don't you have any respect for your mothers, aunts, sisters and grandmothers??
Plus I think there's some unhealthy competition and jealousy between black men who love white women and black women who love white men.

And yes, hair is soo important. Black women have gorgeous hair and they don't feel like it is.
My mum hates her hair, even when it's straightened! I've never seen her natural hair.
My sis is the same frankly. Me too as well, because of my mum. It's only recently that she's into the curly girl movement.

Yes, not enough black people in the industry :frown:
Or for bad reasons (see Exodus). When you see that the actors from Selma got jack **** from the Oscars...

And yeah please go on :smile:
Rude, annoying and irrelevant.

Clearly jealous that Iggy has more fame and just blames it on her being white which is a pathetic excuse. There are plenty of successful blacks in the music industry.
It's because Iggy has white privilege and it naturally pisses Azealia off.

Lol. Proof? Black rappers have it easier by a mile. Banks is a ghetto racist with emotional immaturity issues. She spends her time playing the race card and hating on Iggy because shes white. Because Banks is black she of course exempt from being racist sadly. She also wrote a tweet abour stabbing ordinary white people in their sleep which was of course backed up by black people as you're very comfortable with your own racists and continually side with them.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Catholic_
Lol. Proof? Black rappers have it easier by a mile.

Lol proof that black rappers have it easier?
Not really no. Look at the likes of Missy Elliot and Queen Latifah who struggled to become who they are.
Azealia was already something when Iggy was nothing.

And yet Iggy got famous and quickly (and not because of her talent).
Lol proof that black rappers have it easier?
Not really no. Look at the likes of Missy Elliot and Queen Latifah who struggled to become who they are.
Azealia was already something when Iggy was nothing.

And yet Iggy got famous and quickly (and not because of her talent).

How can you say Black people dont have it easier in Hip Hop...
Lol. Proof? Black rappers have it easier by a mile. Banks is a ghetto racist with emotional immaturity issues. She spends her time playing the race card and hating on Iggy because shes white. Because Banks is black she of course exempt from being racist sadly. She also wrote a tweet abour stabbing ordinary white people in their sleep which was of course backed up by black people as you're very comfortable with your own racists and continually side with them.

Azealia can be quite immature yes.
She does not hate Iggy because she's white but because of the special treatment she gets because she's white. Have you seen Azealia hating on Eminem or Adele? No, because they are legit artists who respect the culture they integrated.
Iggy doesn't give a flying **** about that.

I'm not even going to get in this conversation...
I'm comfortable with my own racists?
Yeah right, nevermind I'm half white myself...
How can you say Black people dont have it easier in Hip Hop...

Well thank **** they do! It's their own musical culture so they can at least have the monopole on it?
But Hip Hop is now a business, where marketing is key. A white artist such as Macklemore and Iggy will be more bankable than a black artist, even if they're not as talented. Because mainly white America sees itself in them, and are more likely to buy their albums.
Maybe Iggy thought that she could get away with that :tongue:
Anyway, you're right, it's not that important.

And I feel with you on this point. Being lightskin or darkskin doesn't matter, we're all black.
I'm half white, half black and I've been told that I don't even look half white (white people told me this.)
I remember my aunt asking my mum for some products because she was "too black". That shocked me a lot. My aunts and uncle are what you would call "dark black" people. And I found this soo beautiful, especially since their skin is smooth and perfect.
My mum used to bleach her skin, but she stopped thankfully.

This divide between black men and women is something I don't understand!!!!
Especially black men, like don't you have any respect for your mothers, aunts, sisters and grandmothers??
Plus I think there's some unhealthy competition and jealousy between black men who love white women and black women who love white men.

And yes, hair is soo important. Black women have gorgeous hair and they don't feel like it is.
My mum hates her hair, even when it's straightened! I've never seen her natural hair.
My sis is the same frankly. Me too as well, because of my mum. It's only recently that she's into the curly girl movement.

Yes, not enough black people in the industry :frown:
Or for bad reasons (see Exodus). When you see that the actors from Selma got jack **** from the Oscars...

And yeah please go on :smile:

wow your family skin bleach? Luckily no one (that I know of) in my family does. Its great that you didn't pick up any complexes about your skin. At least you are aware which is how things change. Change literally only starts with ourselves not trying to change others.

Yes luckily black women are realising that these chemicals are dangerous and a large reason why 90% of us can't grow our hair very long. I actually went natural in 2012 without realising there was a movement! I did it because I wanted to dye by hair which I'm only getting around to now. Its a long story lol.

Yes I've seen that competition too. It makes me cringe. I've never had an issue with interracial relationships as we should love anyone, but it does make me question myself sometimes as I don't want to be grouped. I want to love whoever without anyone making it a competition or grouping me.

There was also a similar movement in the 70s with the afros and black power even though a lot of the mainstream views were inapropriate some people had sensible views about self love and accepting themselves. That was stomped out and relaxers became mainstream. I wonder whether this new hair (self love) movement will be gone in the next 10 years or get out of hand like the other one did. I guess the difference is that this movement is strictly focused on black women.
Very much like her music. Support her rants about white privilege. I think she needs to reconsider some of her other views though / think a bit more before she speaks.
wow your family skin bleach? Luckily no one (that I know of) in my family does. Its great that you didn't pick up any complexes about your skin. At least you are aware which is how things change. Change literally only starts with ourselves not trying to change others.

Yes luckily black women are realising that these chemicals are dangerous and a large reason why 90% of us can't grow our hair very long. I actually went natural in 2012 without realising there was a movement! I did it because I wanted to dye by hair which I'm only getting around to now. Its a long story lol.

Yes I've seen that competition too. It makes me cringe. I've never had an issue with interracial relationships as we should love anyone, but it does make me question myself sometimes as I don't want to be grouped. I want to love whoever without anyone making it a competition or grouping me.

There was also a similar movement in the 70s with the afros and black power even though a lot of the mainstream views were inapropriate some people had sensible views about self love and accepting themselves. That was stomped out and relaxers became mainstream. I wonder whether this new hair (self love) movement will be gone in the next 10 years or get out of hand like the other one did. I guess the difference is that this movement is strictly focused on black women.

They no longer, thank god.
I'm trying to get my little sister to straighten her hair less often.

I wouldn't mind hearing about your hair journey :h:

Exactly :smile:
As a mixed person, it's weird...

I hope it stays!! Staying on the road of improvement...
You mean it doesn't include black men?
Original post by manic_fuzz
Very much like her music. Support her rants about white privilege. I think she needs to reconsider some of her other views though / think a bit more before she speaks.

Exactly, that's what she needs to do.
She does rectify herself sometimes but it's a bit too late. :\

She's good.
Original post by Wilfred Little
She's good.

She's a lyrical genius...

Quick Reply

Latest