The Student Room Group

UNIQ Summer School 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chlorophile
I sent it to you via PM :smile:

Can you send it me it too please? Thanks :biggrin:
Original post by Abi790
I really don't think the personal statement is looked at that heavily compared to grades. All the successful UNIQ PS I've read are totally different, many not how I would write them at all. I would say however that DofE is pretty pointless for UNIQ (but not necessarily for Uni applications next year). If reading mine (Oncology) would be helpful let me know. (Even though looking back it was awful).

Could you PM me yours is you dont mind? I dont even know where to start...:confused:
Original post by TomCastles
It's just I've heard they're read by admissions officers and not academics. Wouldn't it be off putting if they didn't know what I was talking about?

No... Even if they're not read by people with a background in your subject, they're obviously not going to expect you to "dumb down" your personal statement for them, that would be silly...
No... Even if they're not read by people with a background in your subject, they're obviously not going to expect you to "dumb down" your personal statement for them, that would be silly...

Ok thanks for your help :smile:
Reply 84
Would anyone be interested in seeing the personal statement I wrote for UNIQ last year? I'm not sure how helpful it'd be but I'd be happy to send it to anyone who's interested. It's actually quite embarrassing looking back at it!

I would please! Not sure what it means by 80% academic, 20% hobbies as I have quite a bit of volunteering and also lectures.
Original post by Jo220284
I would please! Not sure what it means by 80% academic, 20% hobbies as I have quite a bit of volunteering and also lectures.

Which summer school course are you applying to? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 86
Original post by emem2011
Which summer school course are you applying to? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Medicine, second choice Oncology. But even with 100% of GCSEs at A* (not 14 though!), 5 ASs and neither parents having gone to uni I am still only average compared to other applicants who have weeks of experience in hospitals and have done a lot of wider reading - I watch a lot of documentaries but I'm anxious to mention it in the PS.

You? And how have you already done an AS?!
Medicine, second choice Oncology. But even with 100% of GCSEs at A* (not 14 though!), 5 ASs and neither parents having gone to uni I am still only average compared to other applicants who have weeks of experience in hospitals and have done a lot of wider reading - I watch a lot of documentaries but I'm anxious to mention it in the PS.

You? And how have you already done an AS?!

I honestly wouldn't put yourself down- for the summer school they know it's unlikely you've done any experience yet. I've done hardly any- I've not done any proper work experience yet anyway!!

What were your stats, if you don't mind me asking? :smile: I'm sure they were brilliant and you won't have to worry about anything.

I was entered early for my AS Religious Studies as my teacher felt that a few of us would be ready for the exam. I deliberated for ages over whether to do it or not because I didn't want to put any pressure on any of my actual GCSEs, although I'm so glad I did now!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 88
Wow, thats impressive.

GCSEs: 11 A*
AS: Biology, Chemistry, History, Latin, Maths
Some VERY short work experiences lined up in Boots pharmacy, hospice, hospital, optometrists, GP. But all are from 1 to 3 days long!
Volunteering: charity shop for a year, elderly home from september
And just Gold DofE for extracurricular, no wider reading yet

Are you planning on doing an EPQ? Don't see the point if it won't be graded until after we apply for uni.
Wow, thats impressive.

Some VERY short work experiences lined up in Boots pharmacy, hospice, hospital, optometrists, GP. But all are from 1 to 3 days long!

Are you planning on doing an EPQ? Don't see the point if it won't be graded until after we apply for uni.

Your stats are fab, you're not average at all!! Yes on average successful applicants have 10A*s, but that's for the uni itself and you're still above that average! :smile:
I very much doubt I'll be accepted if I'm honest- I don't feel my personal statement was that brilliant because it could only be 2000 characters and I just think my chances are low! Still thought I'd have a go though.

I don't think my school offers EPQs so I don't think so! I agree with you though, seems pointless to do something that won't be of any real benefit in that case

Posted from TSR Mobile
Would anyone be interested in seeing the personal statement I wrote for UNIQ last year? I'm not sure how helpful it'd be but I'd be happy to send it to anyone who's interested. It's actually quite embarrassing looking back at it!

Wondering if I could have a look? I'm in the process of writing mine and would really appreciate being able to look at a finished one :smile:
Wow, thats impressive.

There definitely is a point in doing an EPQ. I did mine during the first term of Year 13 so I don't have a grade for it. Nevertheless, I think it was the single most important part of my application. Having a structure to research a topic in a lot of detail helped me work out exactly what my interests where and I learned a massive amount because of it. My EPQ was discussed in every single one of my interview, including both of my interviews at Oxford. Obviously I can't say to what extent it helped me get in but a significant proportion of my interviews involved discussing what I learned from my EPQ, so it definitely formed an important part of my overall application. And on top of applications, I feel that it was generally useful and a great experience, if you take it seriously.
Hi,
Just wanted to say I was on the humanities UNIQ course 2014 (a mix of History and English) and that if anyone wants any help with their application feel free to PM me

Good luck everyone applying!!
Reply 93
I think I might finally have finished my Personal Statement... :awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Krollo
I think I might finally have finished my Personal Statement... :awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well done, and well before the deadline too! You are a lot more proactive than I was...
I wish I could apply!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 96
This may sound a bit silly, but there isn't enough space on the form to enter all my qualifications! Do you think I should leave some GCSEs off or should I contact them?
I'm going to apply for the PPE one. The personal statement is where I'm finding the most problems, seeing as for a subject like PPE they usually like to see your own opinions. It's difficult to write that in 2000 characters :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Krollo
This may sound a bit silly, but there isn't enough space on the form to enter all my qualifications! Do you think I should leave some GCSEs off or should I contact them?

Are you sure there's not an option to add more? I can't remember the UNIQ application form exactly but it's modelled on UCAS which doesn't have a limit on the number of qualifications. If there really is a limit, contact UNIQ (they've got various contact emails on their website).
Original post by antigone-
I'm going to apply for the PPE one. The personal statement is where I'm finding the most problems, seeing as for a subject like PPE they usually like to see your own opinions. It's difficult to write that in 2000 characters :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got into the PPE one last year. If you have any questions feel free to ask :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending