The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by turn-to-page394
High five for English Lit! :biggrin: I can see how your decision might be hard. :frown: Have you asked your Spanish teacher about the course? They might be able to advise you about it and whether they think you could cope. :smile: However, it is your choice in the end. Maybe you could put it down as a potential option, see how you cope for the first few weeks etc? Oh, and what about History? It's also an essay subject. :/

I'm planning on taking English Lit, Chemistry, Biology and Maths. :smile:

:five:

I asked my Spanish teacher a while ago and she said that if I keep up my good work that I would be capable of doing it at A Level and that I will most likely achieve an A or B at GCSE. The A Level course sounds quite difficult though and I don't think I'm fluent enough :frown:

I've considered History but I don't do it at GCSE (I wanted to but it was in the same option block as ICT and for some stupid reason I chose ICT instead :mad:) so I'm worried that I would have a disadvantage at A Level as I have no idea how well I would cope with it.

Thank you for the advice :smile:
Original post by Gilo98
No problem!!

Yep. We have separate classes for the three sciences Physics we have done absolutely everything. Chemistry we have just got c3 left and biology we have the ISA and a couple of topics from each module (we dipped in and out of the modules).

To be honest, its hard to get a 'numbers' approach without knowing the specific marks - So long as you get an A* overall in the coursework and can rack up a lot of UMS in one of the exams you can get away with a lower result in the listening.

You'll need 270/300 for an A* . With your coursework you'll probably drop 15ish UMS giving you another 15 to play with in the exams - you will have to try and get full UMS in the reading (which isn't as daunting as it sounds - full UMS does not equal full raw at all). Then you can drop all of the remaining 15 in the listening. Depending on the exam, 15 UMS could be anything from 29/40 (June 2014) or 14/40 (June 2013).

Oh right, well I'll give you numbers then :').
Writing 1) 26/30
Writing 2) 28/30
Speaking 1) 27/30
Speaking 2) 28/30

Plus or minus a mark here and there, whats the UMS looking like for that? Also, if I get another A* in writing (28/30) what is the situation like then?
Personally, I have two options that I could take for A-levels:

Medicine-based: Chemistry, Biology, Maths
Computing-based: Computing, Maths, Physics

I probably won't be able to go on medicine (unless my head of year doesn't write my references - dude is crazy, accussed me of drug dealing yesterday, because I was acting suspicious), but we'll see.
Original post by LeFeuilly
Ohmygods I am so sorry ...

Haha, I know! :frown: we also have to come into school on the days that we don't have exams which is absolutely ridiculous.
Original post by frostyy
Is anybody else using the TSR study planner to organise their revision? It's pretty damn faulty...

i attempted to... but it won't work
Original post by Kvllum
Writing 1) 26/30
Writing 2) 28/30
Speaking 1) 27/30
Speaking 2) 28/30

Plus or minus a mark here and there, whats the UMS looking like for that? Also, if I get another A* in writing (28/30) what is the situation like then?

Ah ok so you're looking at dropping 18ish UMS with the new writing. Really, the listening is going to make or break it. With a low grade in the listening you could scrape it or miss it A solid B would do it for you
Reply 3626
my school really messed us up someone got an a predicted a* who is an absolute idiot and shocked the class the teacher thought something was wrong, remarked it and he got a u!!!!!! school has to remark mine or i wont be happy because i got a d

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gilo98
Ah ok so you're looking at dropping 18ish UMS with the new writing. Really, the listening is going to make or break it. With a low grade in the listening you could scrape it or miss it A solid B would do it for you

Thanks dude. Okay, suppose I get an A* in this writing. I get an A* in my reading and an A in my listening. What are we talking, an A* overall? :smile:
Finally decided that I'm taking French as my last A Level option :biggrin: don't know if I'm going to regret it...
Original post by arithmeticae
hey guys, i'm a year 11 (or is it 12 now :tongue:) and i like stalking other people's threads (:e) so feel free to ask if you want any help with anything :smile:

posted from tsr mobile

yes plss tell me how to study for my igcse ol exam that i am having within less than 100 days
Original post by student_2014
yes plss tell me how to study for my igcse ol exam that i am having within less than 100 days

here's a long ass post i made a while ago, should have some nice stuff

protip - don't start counting down already, it doesn't help anyone

hi there, i did my gcses last year so hopefully this will help :tongue:

general revision tips

english

sciences

useful websites

hope this helps and don't hesitate to quote/pm me if you have any more questions :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
What were ur results?
Out of curiosity/being nosy, what is everyone taking next year?
I'm doing English Lit, Theatre Studies, History and German :smile:
Original post by Kvllum
Writing 1) 26/30
Writing 2) 28/30
Speaking 1) 27/30
Speaking 2) 28/30

Are you with AQA?
Original post by pursuedbyabear

Maths, Economics, Physics and French :biggrin: actually quite excited :tongue:
Original post by Jitesh
Are you with AQA?

Yeah I am :smile:
Original post by Peachy23
Maths, Economics, Physics and French :biggrin: actually quite excited :tongue:

I am too, but I think I'll eat my words next year :eek:. Nice combination :biggrin:
I am too, but I think I'll eat my words next year :eek:. Nice combination :biggrin:

Same :tongue: you too! Not many people taking languages at my school :smile:

Chinese, English Language, Philosophy and Ethics and Music. I'm excited too but Chinese is going to be really hard :sigh:

im at college next year :smile:

Latest