The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hi I am applying there too for dentistry this year and have relatives that have graduated from Hungary in the past. How did you find the application process?

Original post by TheAnonymousGuy
Hello, I am applying to the University of Debrecen for Dentistry. I am looking for someone who has applied for either this course or medicine who sat the entrance exam or is familiar with the entrance process e.g. the interview so I can ask a few questions.

Thank you.
Reply 2
Hi All
just a word of caution for any prospective student who are thinking of coming to Debrecen to study medicine or dentistry - DONT! or think very carefully before you decide on Debrecen for the following reasons...
1. the exams are based on luck most of the times especially the oral exams,as there have been numerous times where you have answered all the questions and if you answer just one and I mean one question wrong then you will have failed.
2. another occasion a student passed the exam but was failed because they had too many students who had passed before him. it depends on who the examiners are, and when the exam takes place.
3. at times the examiners will actively give big hints for the answer, and almost giving you the answer.

the exams are based on how lucky you are and if the examiner likes you.
Most of the lecturers are not approachable and there is "zero" pastoral care, although there are a few who care, but these are the exception and not the rule
The examiners/University will try to find any way that they can to trip you up and make you fail, as the whole University depends on their foreign students and the income that they bring.
There is a very good chance that a large number of students will end up repeating one year during the 6 years.

There is also zero student support by the University and students have to depend on their classmates and fellow students to get through the exams.
Compared to the American and British universities, the workload is relentless, and never ends, which when the students work exceptionally hard,can end up failing and leaving. This goes for most if not all the eastern european universities, so please think very carefully before you consider Debrecen, and if you have another choice than I would strongly recommend this.
Thanks for the info, I take it you are a student there right now ?

Original post by eMID
Hi All
just a word of caution for any prospective student who are thinking of coming to Debrecen to study medicine or dentistry - DONT! or think very carefully before you decide on Debrecen for the following reasons...
1. the exams are based on luck most of the times especially the oral exams,as there have been numerous times where you have answered all the questions and if you answer just one and I mean one question wrong then you will have failed.
2. another occasion a student passed the exam but was failed because they had too many students who had passed before him. it depends on who the examiners are, and when the exam takes place.
3. at times the examiners will actively give big hints for the answer, and almost giving you the answer.

the exams are based on how lucky you are and if the examiner likes you.
Most of the lecturers are not approachable and there is "zero" pastoral care, although there are a few who care, but these are the exception and not the rule
The examiners/University will try to find any way that they can to trip you up and make you fail, as the whole University depends on their foreign students and the income that they bring.
There is a very good chance that a large number of students will end up repeating one year during the 6 years.

There is also zero student support by the University and students have to depend on their classmates and fellow students to get through the exams.
Compared to the American and British universities, the workload is relentless, and never ends, which when the students work exceptionally hard,can end up failing and leaving. This goes for most if not all the eastern european universities, so please think very carefully before you consider Debrecen, and if you have another choice than I would strongly recommend this.
Reply 4
Well, my daughter was a student here and this is why she was made to fail, even though she knew all her stuff for the exam. There is a lot more that I can't say because they might take me to court for slander, or some BS thing. Bottom line though, you've either got to be incredibly lucky or have a photographic memory that allows you to remember entire textbooks.

Original post by emmalooo12
Thanks for the info, I take it you are a student there right now ?
Reply 5
Hey there, can you tell me how was the entrance exam, what level of questions and what to expect for the interview?
Original post by k2k456
Hey there, can you tell me how was the entrance exam, what level of questions and what to expect for the interview?

If you studied A-Level subjects in biology, chemistry and physics that should suffice. The written paper is fairly straightforward and easy, if it's still the same you only need 40% to pass in it, however if you perform very well it will make your oral interview/exam much easier as they won't ask as much. On the other hand, don't lose hope if you don't think you did well or if you indeed fail as the oral interview holds much more weight and if you exceed in that you can still be admitted.

I would recommend that your basics in each topic of each subject is strong and it would help if you can discuss some further complex areas of the topic you're talking about. But, there is a large emphasis on basic knowledge.

I'd be happy to answer any further questions, I am now at the University of Pécs so if anyone is interested in that or is already applying I can help with that too.
Reply 7
Thanks a lot for the info, and can u also tell me what is the criteria of the paper, I mean how is it set, like the no of questions, MCQ'S? and the minimum no of questions that u need to answer to qualify? And how is the University in general?
Reply 8
hey there
Reply 9
Original post by k2k456
Thanks a lot for the info, and can u also tell me what is the criteria of the paper, I mean how is it set, like the no of questions, MCQ'S? and the minimum no of questions that u need to answer to qualify? And how is the University in general?

The entrance exam is relatively straight forward if your A level Biology / Chemistry is around a grade B, then this should be good enough.

Just be aware, that it reasonably straight forward to pass the entrance exam, and that in my personal opinion this is the easy part, as the study workload is incredibly hard and psychologically very hard mentally, as there is virtually no pastoral care from the university, and the only support structure are the students themselves. You also have as much chance of failing in the final year as you do in any other year.

I don't want to scare you, but I would just like to advise you that if you are really thinking of Debrecen, then please investigate Debrecen very thoroughly before you decide, as the level of study is much more intense than say the equivalent UK or North American universities, and is nothing like the "poster advert" :frown:
Reply 10
Thanks, I'll consider it, but are u updated on the type or level of questions in the exam, because I am almost sure about the University, and a bit nervous about the entrance exam. So anything on that?
Original post by k2k456
Thanks, I'll consider it, but are u updated on the type or level of questions in the exam, because I am almost sure about the University, and a bit nervous about the entrance exam. So anything on that?

When I did it 2 years ago there was a mixture of questions. There were some MCQs, fill in the blank and labelling a particular diagram. Chemistry was mainly MCQ. And whatever 3rd subject you didn't pick as your main 2 (if thats how they still do it) will be included but only like 3-5 MCQs on it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ive been offered a place on the BMC are there any other offer holders from the UK?
Hi,
and thanks for helping us clear our doubts
:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
. How hard was your entrance test? Relatively easy, hard, or very hard? What did they ask in the interview?
I'm really confused and also thinking whether I should apply to more uni's
:afraid: :afraid:

Original post by TheAnonymousGuy
When I did it 2 years ago there was a mixture of questions. There were some MCQs, fill in the blank and labelling a particular diagram. Chemistry was mainly MCQ. And whatever 3rd subject you didn't pick as your main 2 (if thats how they still do it) will be included but only like 3-5 MCQs on it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If anyone is considering apply abroad why not concider studying in Western Europe.. Currently no entrance exams, relatively a simple process to secure a place via undergraduate courses and low fees, couses are mixed english and Spanish but there is a lot of support for the clinical (spanish) aspect.

if you would like more info or have any questions feel free to ask :smile:
I did the Debrecen exam in April and got in for Medicine, just looking for other people who have got in or current students to give their viewpoints. Is it really true they try to fail you? I really don't think there's any relevance in that to be honest, just the people who can't take the pressure or understand the workload you have to do fail.
Original post by Cobra1234
I did the Debrecen exam in April and got in for Medicine, just looking for other people who have got in or current students to give their viewpoints. Is it really true they try to fail you? I really don't think there's any relevance in that to be honest, just the people who can't take the pressure or understand the workload you have to do fail.

may i ask the kind of questions that were asked in the oral and if you have any sample questions you used to study for the exam?? i am writing my exam on june 11th and i could really use some help.
Reply 17
Hey guys!

I'm sorry but my post has nothing to do with the exam. I am Namibian (africa) and begin the BMC in september this year. There seem to be very few breaks during the course of the academic year and I was wondering whether you can choose your exam dates, since we seem to have an entire month to complete our exams?
Original post by elsap
Hey guys!

I'm sorry but my post has nothing to do with the exam. I am Namibian (africa) and begin the BMC in september this year. There seem to be very few breaks during the course of the academic year and I was wondering whether you can choose your exam dates, since we seem to have an entire month to complete our exams?

Hey, please do not underestimate the BMC course. The pass rate is worryingly low and very hard to pass all the exams.
You will get 2 sets of exams, one in the winter period and one in the summer. You will have to take exams in Biology, Chemistry and Physics. Every month you will get SCTs (self-control tests) and I URGE you to do very well in these as if you average 75% YOU DO NOT HAVE TO TAKE THE FINAL EXAM! You should study hard and keep up with the content of the seminars and lectures as this will mean you can finish your exams earlier and go home!

To answer your question, yes you can pick when you want to take your exams. Several dates will be released and you need to book/sign up to the date you want to do it and hopefully pass! You have 3 chances to pass each exam (A, B and C chance).

Do not take it lightly as BMC is harder work than you will anticipate!

Good luck!
Original post by GDC-EDUCATION
If anyone is considering apply abroad why not concider studying in Western Europe.. Currently no entrance exams, relatively a simple process to secure a place via undergraduate courses and low fees, couses are mixed english and Spanish but there is a lot of support for the clinical (spanish) aspect.

if you would like more info or have any questions feel free to ask :smile:

Hello! What countries would you suggest? Im thinking about debrecen, but all this talk about the difficulty is scaring me, Im from canada btw.Thanks!

Latest

Trending

Trending