The Student Room Group

Should I study medicine ?

Hello everyone,

I am 20 years old. I had interest in the field of medicine from 10th grade. My interest was so immense that I had bought anatomy atlases. However for some reason in the beginning of 12th grade I switched my interest to Computer Science. The reason I think I did that because I couldnt cope with Chemistry. I think I didnt have the time to study the amount of chemistry for the entrance exam. Biology was never a problem. One of my fathers best friends is a top Surgeon in my country working in one of the best Hospitals in Europe. I went there and I observed being with him all day, watching what he did. I even attended a surgery.

When I started studying Computer Science it was all going good new kind of people, new type of subject but for some reason I just didn't like it, it was not rewarding for me. Even further my peers talked about computer science stuff and I didnt have any interest to take part in their conversations, it just didnt interest me to any extent. I always watched with joy medical tv series and took part in conversations health related.

There was another reason for ditching medicine. I wanted to start making money for a living asap. But now I think money should't be my concern. Thinking of money makes me stresful. I can start working as a programmer at the end of this year, but what for? Searching for solutions and finding the perfect algorithm to solve a problem, to me this isnt that fascinating. For me programming is a safe job but I just dont fancy it as much as medicine. I mean I can start earning good money, during the 6 years of medicine I could have an apartament,car and safe lifestyle if I become a programmer, but WHAT other can I become after so many years, I will stay coding all day. The other option is to start studying for my exams for pre-medicine and 1 year from now at 21 years old of age to be a medical student. If it happens I will graduate at 26 years old. It may be just me, but Ive always imagined myself at 26 have a very stable career, not just starting it.

Please share your opinions on my views. I would really really appreciate them!
Thank you for your time.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Please tell me what you think :smile:
Original post by alxstefanov
Please tell me what you think :smile:

I suggest you go for medicine because:
(a) more interesting and less boring than Computer Science
(b) you've had so much experience around the field
(c) you seem to enjoy it
(d) it is meant to be

Follow what you've always imagined yourself as (a medical student) because you're probably the only person i've heard that bought anatomy atlases at a young age, lool :biggrin:

P.S 26 years old is fine for beginning a medical career!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by alxstefanov
Hello everyone,

I am 20 years old. I had interest in the field of medicine from 10th grade. My interest was so immense that I had bought anatomy atlases. However for some reason in the beginning of 12th grade I switched my interest to Computer Science. The reason I think I did that because I couldnt cope with Chemistry. I think I didnt have the time to study the amount of chemistry for the entrance exam. Biology was never a problem. One of my fathers best friends is a top Surgeon in my country working in one of the best Hospitals in Europe. I went there and I observed being with him all day, watching what he did. I even attended a surgery.

When I started studying Computer Science it was all going good new kind of people, new type of subject but for some reason I just didn't like it, it was not rewarding for me. Even further my peers talked about computer science stuff and I didnt have any interest to take part in their conversations, it just didnt interest me to any extent. I always watched with joy medical tv series and took part in conversations health related.

There was another reason for ditching medicine. I wanted to start making money for a living asap. But now I think money should't be my concern. Thinking of money makes me stresful. I can start working as a programmer at the end of this year, but what for? Searching for solutions and finding the perfect algorithm to solve a problem, to me this isnt that fascinating. For me programming is a safe job but I just dont fancy it as much as medicine. I mean I can start earning good money, during the 6 years of medicine I could have an apartament,car and safe lifestyle if I become a programmer, but WHAT other can I become after so many years, I will stay coding all day. The other option is to start studying for my exams for pre-medicine and 1 year from now at 21 years old of age to be a medical student. If it happens I will graduate at 26 years old. It may be just me, but Ive always imagined myself at 26 have a very stable career, not just starting it.

Please share your opinions on my views. I would really really appreciate them!
Thank you for your time.

Go for it .From your OP it seems you have the passion to be a doctor
"Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending