The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Asklepios
And as I said, some disease may carry an evolutionary benefit (like cystic fibrosis and sickle-cell anaemia).

Posted from TSR Mobile

By your logic, you can call anything a disease. Android users have a disease because they get less sex than iPhone users. They may have the side-effect of owning a better device, but clearly they've got a disease because their reproductive rates have been compromised.
Original post by stoltguyboo
Homophobic attitudes and bigoted views should be OUTLAWED!

#It's2015

so do you think somebody who views homosexuality as unnatural should be prosecuted or banned from expressing that particular view?
Original post by Chlorophile
By your logic, you can call anything a disease. Android users have a disease because they get less sex than iPhone users. They may have the side-effect of owning a better device, but clearly they've got a disease because their reproductive rates have been compromised.

Well yes, the key is where to draw the line between normal variation and abnormality. I edited my post, see point about Asperger's syndrome.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well yes, the key is where to draw the line between normal variation and abnormality. I edited my post, see point about Asperger's syndrome.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Firstly, nobody has established a definitive cause for either disorder (I'd definitely be interested in your sources for ASD because I'd never heard of that before) and secondly, so what? I'm sure if you investigated lots of human factors that you could come up with some obscure cause. We could argue that white skin is a disability because it makes you more vulnerable to skin cancer.
Original post by OU Student
But why? They're not all **** drivers. In fact, I've come across much worse younger drivers.

The young and the old shall be treated with the same contempt for not meeting safety regulations on the round.
More suspensions,more bans and more prison sentences.
Original post by Blazar
Homophobia is pathological.

Original post by flibber
But unless they're in a braindead state (cf the Terri Schiavo case), they're still rational beings capable of thought and contributing via other means?

So you're like me, who has hardly any empathy whatsoever.

What other means would that be?

Original post by Blazar
Homophobia is pathological.

Such a laughable post
i have no problem with people sponging off the benefit system instead of going to work
Firstly, nobody has established a definitive cause for either disorder (I'd definitely be interested in your sources for ASD because I'd never heard of that before) and secondly, so what? I'm sure if you investigated lots of human factors that you could come up with some obscure cause. We could argue that white skin is a disability because it makes you more vulnerable to skin cancer.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empathizing%E2%80%93systemizing_theory#Fetal_testosterone

(Wikipedia, I know, but it's a well-referenced article)

And you're arguing that white skin is a risk factor and not a disability in itself. Of course it's not a significant one in modern times and in Europe. But in the past in Africa, having white skin may be such a significant risk factor that it would be considered as a disease.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Probably not too controversial, but those who attend A & E who doctors suspect are drunk and have injured themselves out of their own stupidity should be breathalysed. If it turns out they are drunk, they should be charged for the cost of their treatment and those who have non-alcohol induced injuries should be prioritised before them. In addition, they should also be heavily fined as a result, with jail sentences for repeat offenders.

Makes people take more responsibility for their actions, and saves money for the NHS!
Original post by SecretDuck
HS2 is more likely to imake the other major cities a satellite for London, benefiting London much more than the major cities.

I agree. That's what happened to Kyoto when they built the bullet train line from Tokyo to it.
Original post by Blue_Mason

What other means would that be?

If I assume correctly you are talking about physical disabilities here, according to you we should have euthanized the great (but severely disabled) inventors, artists, scientists, mathematicians, etc. when they were old.

Some make their greatest contributions in old age.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empathizing%E2%80%93systemizing_theory#Fetal_testosterone

(Wikipedia, I know, but it's a well-referenced article)

And you're arguing that white skin is a risk factor and not a disability in itself. Of course it's not a significant one in modern times and in Europe. But in the past in Africa, having white skin may be such a significant risk factor that it would be considered as a disease.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The paper is on a correlation between fetal testosterone and Baron-Cohen's "Empathy Quotient". This is a very contentious area of work and there are a lot of people who completely disagree with this. I definitely wouldn't call that an indisputable fact.
Original post by OU Student
But we don't need everyone entering uni and coming out with a degree. And uni isn't for everyone.

In my country, education is free and trust me, not everyone makes it into to uni. Not everyone passes gcses, not everyone passes a levels. You get the picture.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The paper is on a correlation between fetal testosterone and Baron-Cohen's "Empathy Quotient". This is a very contentious area of work and there are a lot of people who completely disagree with this. I definitely wouldn't call that an indisputable fact.

Ok there isn't a well-defined causal relationship, but there is somewhat of a link. In the same way, there isn't a well-defined causal relationship between low fetal testosterone and male homosexuality (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3296090/), but it does have a role. What I'm trying to make out of this is that both these 'conditions' result in changes away from normal behaviour that disrupt normal function. How can one be called a disorder and another one not?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Global warming is entirely natural and not man made. Those that say it is man made have been manipulated through the education system to believe that is the case with the content of lessons pushing a man made global warming agenda.
Original post by Messiah Complex
Global warming is entirely natural and not man made. Those that say it is man made have been manipulated through the education system to believe that is the case with the content of lessons pushing a man made global warming agenda.

From NASA's Earth Observatory:
"As the Earth moved out of ice ages over the past million years, the global temperature rose a total of 4 to 7 degrees Celsius over about 5,000 years. In the past century alone, the temperature has climbed 0.7 degrees Celsius, roughly ten times faster than the average rate of ice-age-recovery warming."
Original post by flibber
From NASA's Earth Observatory:
"As the Earth moved out of ice ages over the past million years, the global temperature rose a total of 4 to 7 degrees Celsius over about 5,000 years. In the past century alone, the temperature has climbed 0.7 degrees Celsius, roughly ten times faster than the average rate of ice-age-recovery warming."

Where does NASA get its money from? It doesn't take a genius to work it out. It's rather easy to manipulate data to create thousands of research jobs and get further funding. Its happened elsewhere as well.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/11367272/Climategate-the-sequel-How-we-are-STILL-being-tricked-with-flawed-data-on-global-warming.html
Original post by binarythoughts
It's more of the "don't do to someone what you are punishing them for" argument. Although that doesn't mean excuse the crime

Oh. But the crime is murder, and the punishment isn't. Also, I believe more in solitary confinement and a lack of privileges than capital punishment.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2922553/Global-warming-believers-like-hysterical-cult-MIT-scientist-compares-climate-alarmists-religious-fanatics.html

But do go on.........We'll just ignore the viewpoints of someone from the greatest STEM University on the planet.

:rolleyes:

Please just tell me, WHO would benefit from propagating this "lie"?

From what I can gather, the only benefit from lying about global warming would be to reduce CO2 emissions ?

Where is the financial/ideological/political motive ? :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ok there isn't a well-defined causal relationship, but there is somewhat of a link. In the same way, there isn't a well-defined causal relationship between low fetal testosterone and male homosexuality (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3296090/), but it does have a role. What I'm trying to make out of this is that both these 'conditions' result in changes away from normal behaviour that disrupt normal function. How can one be called a disorder and another one not?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd argue that there isn't a straight definition for disability. A lot of people with autism would argue that they only have a disability in the context of societal norms. Many people with autism (particularly mild forms like Aspergers) are perfectly happy with themselves and only feel that they are disabled because they're socially different. It's a very subjective area but you could (I'm not saying I necessarily agree with it, but I hope you see my point) make the argument that non-ASD people are the disabled ones because they waste a huge amount of resources on silly social norms, are too emotional and subjective, etc. There are some things which objectively make functioning more difficult, like life-limiting diseases or losing a sense but it's a lot more complicated when you go into psychological problems

Right, and what exactly puts you in the position to have a say in this argument? Are you actually able to construct a logical argument as to how the science is wrong, or are you just saying this because it fits with your political views?

Latest