The Student Room Group

Civil service fast stream 2014/2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by stevibobs
Congratulations, you must be thrilled that all the hard work paid off.

I have applied for HR also and I have my assesment late February, getting nervous already! How did you find the FSAC?

Thank you! It is only just sinking in!

I was really anxious before the FSAC but it was nowhere near as bad as I had expected. The other candidates and the operational staff were great, as were the assessors.

My main tips for the FSAC would be to start typing for the policy recommendation task immediately - plan a basic structure and get that onto the page right away. Then you can scan-read the pack and add in information as you go. I also used a highlighter to strike through pages that I'd already used or that weren't useful. I even tore pages out and put them to one side so that I was left with just the bits I needed - psychologically this helped me as the pack seemed more manageable. It is impossible to read everything in detail so don't worry!

Something I read on here after my FSAC (and that I wish I had done!) is to practise speedreading for a week or so before. Reading longish articles in a decent newspaper and making yourself jot down key points as quickly as you can would be great training!

The only other prep that I did was note down a few examples for each competency ready for the interview. I didn't write them out in full sentences as it would be impossible to 'learn' them anyway but at least it meant they came to mind more quickly in the interview. I also asked a few times "can I have a moment to think of my best example, please?" during the interview and the interviewer didn't mind at all. This stops you jumping upon the wrong example and also prevents any rambling! :smile:

Best of luck for FSAC and hope to hear good news from you in late Feb x
Original post by madl24903
My FSAC is on Monday, kind of bricking it! :eek:

I have a quick Q: Do you get a break in between tasks? If so, is it frowned upon if you look at some notes before the next event.

You can look at anything you like between tasks, but you can't take anything into the exercises themselves. But it won't be very useful, really, for anything except maybe the interview.
Original post by TritonSails
You can look at anything you like between tasks, but you can't take anything into the exercises themselves. But it won't be very useful, really, for anything except maybe the interview.

Yes, as far as I'm aware this is the correct answer. I'm pretty sure I either double-checked notes at lunch or didn't have enough time to, but there's no reason I can think of that it would be an issue.
Reply 1863
Original post by GManTheGMan
Yes, as far as I'm aware this is the correct answer. I'm pretty sure I either double-checked notes at lunch or didn't have enough time to, but there's no reason I can think of that it would be an issue.

Yes it's made explicitly clear that you can't take any outside notes or devices into the examinations. Outside of the examinations you can look at notes, check your phone etc.
Original post by JimsFortis
Oooh, hang on. My first pref is DS, second CD. I'm still on 'awaiting results' on the DS progress page after a couple of weeks now, so does that mean that for both DS and CD I am in the 'amber bracket'?

I was assuming (hoping) it meant that I was in amber for DS and that they would only look at my marks for CD after my chances for DS had been exhausted (i.e. I was hoping this meant I was probably high enough for CD, even if I were to eventually miss out on DS).

Can't quite believe I've adopted all these acronyms...

Looks like you are currently amber for both.
Have any GFS FSAC results been released yet (not sure if I've seen any on here but I haven't been paying too much attention to this thread).
DS usually has a successful FSAC score range of ~1.8 -2.5 above the lowest CD successful score.
If no GFS FSAC results are out yet, then everyone will be amber until some are released.
Just had my status changed to Awaiting Results, after FSAC on the 22nd. Keen to hear if anyone's received results today so I can get a feel for where I stand!
Original post by Calpurnia
Just had my status changed to Awaiting Results, after FSAC on the 22nd. Keen to hear if anyone's received results today so I can get a feel for where I stand!

I had mine on the 21st and received my results this morning (good news, thankfully).

So based on that you could potentially hear back tomorrow, but of course it could be later than that.

Best of luck!
For those who are amber banded, I just messaged Parity to ask when the next pass mark review would be for the GFS. The response said that pass marks are being reviewed between now and the end of February.
Original post by european.son
I had mine on the 21st and received my results this morning (good news, thankfully).

So based on that you could potentially hear back tomorrow, but of course it could be later than that.

Best of luck!

Thanks for posting, and congratulations!
Reply 1869
Hi guys,
I took the FSAC on the 13th Jan and just checked my secure inbox on the off chance I hadn't got an email from parity. There was 1 unread message from the 20th saying:

Diplomatic Service: Awaiting Results
Central Departments: Pass

Does this mean I will get a Fast Stream job at a central department regardless of whether I get through to DS FSB?

Also I'd be grateful if anyone knows what the next steps are. Do you get a choice in which central department you are placed in, for example?

Thanks and good luck to everyone else.
Reply 1870
Original post by kripke
Hi guys,
I took the FSAC on the 13th Jan and just checked my secure inbox on the off chance I hadn't got an email from parity. There was 1 unread message from the 20th saying:

Diplomatic Service: Awaiting Results
Central Departments: Pass

Does this mean I will get a Fast Stream job at a central department regardless of whether I get through to DS FSB?

Also I'd be grateful if anyone knows what the next steps are. Do you get a choice in which central department you are placed in, for example?

Thanks and good luck to everyone else.

Congratulations, yes that does mean you definitely have a central department job at least.
Mine is the 2nd of Feb too! I'm bricking it already

Original post by E.Marie
Hello everyone

Well done to all those who have passed their FSAC, and good luck to those still waiting!

I have mine on the 2nd Feb, and was wondering if anyone wants to share their experiences of the day?
In particular, how was the interview? I know its competency based, but do they ask about all the competencies or just a couple (want to prep some good examples!)

Any advice much appreciated! :smile:
Reply 1872
I'm the 2nd of february too! Getting pretty nervous also
Yeah just finished exams so trying to spend all this week focusing on the assessment centre

Original post by LS24
I'm the 2nd of february too! Getting pretty nervous also
Reply 1874
Original post by PJ07
Congratulations, yes that does mean you definitely have a central department job at least.

Thanks for confirming. Can I just ask what departments are included in 'Central Departments'?
I assume that HM Treasury and HMRC are excluded as they have their own schemes?
HMRC essentially runs the central departments scheme. I'm pretty sure there are generalists in the treasury too.
Here's a list of departments (etc.) mentioned on our internal guide:

Department of Business, Innovation and Skills

Cabinet Office

Department of Communities and Local Government

Department of Culture, Media and Sport

Department of Energy and Climate Change

Department of Environment, Food and Rural Affairs

Department for Education

Department for International Development

Department for Transport

Department of Health

Department for Work and Pensions

Foreign and Commonwealth Office

Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs

Her Majesty’s Treasury

Home Office

Ministry of Defence

Ministry of Justice

Parliament

Valuation Office Agency

Office of National Statistics

Ofsted

Scottish Government

Welsh Government

Reply 1877
Original post by GManTheGMan
Here's a list of departments (etc.) mentioned on our internal guide:

Department of Business, Innovation and Skills

Cabinet Office

Department of Communities and Local Government

Department of Culture, Media and Sport

Department of Energy and Climate Change

Department of Environment, Food and Rural Affairs

Department for Education

Department for International Development

Department for Transport

Department of Health

Department for Work and Pensions

Foreign and Commonwealth Office

Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs

Her Majesty’s Treasury

Home Office

Ministry of Defence

Ministry of Justice

Parliament

Valuation Office Agency

Office of National Statistics

Ofsted

Scottish Government

Welsh Government

thanks!
Hey, had my FSAC today. I literally have no idea how it went! The leadership challenge was difficult and my 'boss' grilled me pretty tough. Quite enjoyed the policy recommendation exercise. When's the earliest you can find out if you're in or out?
Hey guys,

I had my FSAC on 26th November, applying for the Finance stream and STILL "awaiting results"....

Anyone else still waiting?

Quick Reply

Latest