The Student Room Group

How are Asians received in the UK?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Personally I don't mind them! Lots of Asian people in my classes at school - no-one is nasty or unaccepting. I read in an article that we were the most diverse country in the world? Haha
Even some nationalists are okay with people coming from places like East Asia to work and have a genuine career, it's people that come for benefits and nothing more that irritate natives it seems. In cities and even small towns you will be absolutely fine. The UK is a fairly tolerant place.
Original post by Foo.mp3
Should be received just fine, but you'll have to adapt to the culture if you want to find much success with the ladies (Eastern culture translates as too feminine)

Are you sure its a culture problem? From my exp most ladies are just not attracted to asians.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by asif007
I'd like to hear your opinion on why Britain would not like South Asian people.

They probably mean that overall South Asians aren't as well received as East Asians due to some people's views about Islam and how many South Asians will be Muslim.

OP you'll be received quite well, if you're planning on studying here though, just make sure to integrate with locals as there's some distaste for internationals who are only friends with people from their own country. That's not to say you shouldn't join your uni's Korean Society, just to make sure you join other societies and find friends from them as well.
Original post by Castiel.
Okie, thanks :biggrin:

I can't wait until I go to England :biggrin:

Asians are great - I'm dating one.
Original post by kaiwid23
I'm a (south) Asian born in this country. The most racist people I've met are not natives to this country - they're nice people, but they think everybody is secretly racist towards them and thus are racist back. The best way to assimilate into the UK is to think of everybody less by race and more by the person they are. Barely anybody here is racist. If you keep that in your mind, it'll be fine. If you believe everybody's out to get you, you'll probably encounter more "racists" and fuel racism yourself.

Spot on. Britain is very diverse and largely a very tolerant society. There are always exceptions. There are fewer ethnic minorities outside big cities but most reasonably educated people aren't racist.
Original post by asif007

lol
Original post by Peterchristo
lol

Excuse me, why is that funny?
As long as our women are left alone I have no issue. Britain must remain fundamentally white NW European however.
Original post by asif007
Excuse me, why is that funny?

Because your original question indicates that you have either been living under a rock or have been indoctrinated to see otherwise.
Original post by asif007

Erm, need I remind you of widespread Islamophobia/ general ignorance in society that assumes you to be Muslim because you're South Asian/Middle Eastern? Don't lie and say this doesn't happen here, I've seen it with my own eyes.
Original post by Chihiro95
Erm, need I remind you of widespread Islamophobia/ general ignorance in society that assumes you to be Muslim because you're South Asian/Middle Eastern? Don't lie and say this doesn't happen here, I've seen it with my own eyes.

Calm down mate, I just wanted to find out people's opinions as the OP didn't really make it clear. In fact I agree with you and I think the way South Asians are discriminated against in this country is disgusting. Someone who is actually Muslim and South Asian like me, seems to be the best combination for abuse and persecution.

Original post by Peterchristo
Because your original question indicates that you have either been living under a rock or have been indoctrinated to see otherwise.

No need to be so patronising - as I mentioned above, I just want to find out what other people think. Don't assume that I'm living in denial about how we're treated just cos I want to hear what someone else has to share. I know perfectly well about the attitudes towards Islam and I agree with everything that's been said above.

EDIT: Maybe I should have worded my original question better. What is it that angers you about how people are ignorant and bordering on racist towards South Asian people (whether Muslim or not) in a multicultural and supposedly equal country?
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply