The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

The UCL PPE thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Teddysmith123
LOL! Yh I am on a gap year too and nothing too interesting so far, but I have travel plans so we'll see how that goes! It is kind of reassuring, but no one else on this thread has heard much lately about offers and rejections - bar the ones who heard at the beginning of the week it's definitely quietened down a bit...

Yeah it'll probably be a certain amount a week. Travel plans sound good! Asia wasn't it? How're you saving, weren't you tutoring or something? I wanted to go travelling but I would of had to of gotten a regular job in retail or something. I went with getting good experience at a badly paid job and now I can't travel but I'll get over it :smile:
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by Dprince
Yeah it'll probably be a certain amount a week. Travel plans sound good! Asia wasn't it? How're you saving, weren't you tutoring or something? I wanted to go travelling but I would of had to of gotten a regular job in retail or something. I went with getting good experience at a badly paid job and now I can't travel but I'll get over it :smile:

Yh Asia which should be interesting! I had a tutoring job to raise money for the trip, and the company I choose was relatively flexible and cheap so that was good. You still have time if you still want to go, like maybe in August or something right before university starts - or even at university I'm sure there are programmes that you can join to travel. I know a friend whose at Warwick right now studying economics and she's been travelling quite a lot through her course and this is only her first year there! So I presume that UCL would also provide opportunities like that, although I haven't looked at it in too much detail yet...
Yh Asia which should be interesting! I had a tutoring job to raise money for the trip, and the company I choose was relatively flexible and cheap so that was good. You still have time if you still want to go, like maybe in August or something right before university starts - or even at university I'm sure there are programmes that you can join to travel. I know a friend whose at Warwick right now studying economics and she's been travelling quite a lot through her course and this is only her first year there! So I presume that UCL would also provide opportunities like that, although I haven't looked at it in too much detail yet...

Yeah I might wait and see if I can get a university grant and go then, or maybe after graduating take a year out to travel!
Original post by Dprince
Yeah I might wait and see if I can get a university grant and go then, or maybe after graduating take a year out to travel!

Yh I love to travel so I would definitely try to do more of it both during and after uni! :P
Yh I love to travel so I would definitely try to do more of it both during and after uni! :P

I like how much it can expand one's perspective :smile: Gosh look how much of a tangent this thread goes on then there's no admissions gossip hahaha :cookie:
Original post by Dprince
I like how much it can expand one's perspective :smile: Gosh look how much of a tangent this thread goes on then there's no admissions gossip hahaha :cookie:

Haha well isn't track down this weekend? I got an email which said so, but I didn't read it properly!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha well isn't track down this weekend? I got an email which said so, but I didn't read it properly!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it's down till Monday.
Original post by kurofune
I think it's down till Monday.

Ah Ok I thought as much :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah it is! :smile: I wonder if there are members of the admissions office that work weekends :smile:
Original post by Dprince
Yeah it is! :smile: I wonder if there are members of the admissions office that work weekends :smile:

I doubt they would work on weekends because they also have to relax too! But maybe....

Posted from TSR Mobile
I doubt they would work on weekends because they also have to relax too! But maybe....

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was wondering if they maybe had a team of 5 or 6 with all of them working different days :wink:
Original post by Dprince
I was wondering if they maybe had a team of 5 or 6 with all of them working different days :wink:

I have no idea but I mean it must be horrible to be working in admissions having to look at all of those applications!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have no idea but I mean it must be horrible to be working in admissions having to look at all of those applications!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know! I was tempted to make a joke in my personal statement just to cheer one of them up lmfao!
Original post by Dprince
I know! I was tempted to make a joke in my personal statement just to cheer one of them up lmfao!

What would the joke have been? I know quite a few maths jokes - I know that sounds sad but my A level maths teacher would start each lesson with a cheesy maths joke - but I don't think I'd be able to think of any that relate to PPE
What would the joke have been? I know quite a few maths jokes - I know that sounds sad but my A level maths teacher would start each lesson with a cheesy maths joke - but I don't think I'd be able to think of any that relate to PPE

I'm not sure, didn't come round to thinking of one. Did end my personal statement with a maths puzzle though which I thought would be quite refreshing for them :smile:
Original post by Dprince
I'm not sure, didn't come round to thinking of one. Did end my personal statement with a maths puzzle though which I thought would be quite refreshing for them :smile:

Haha really that actually sounds really different - helps your statement stand out!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha really that actually sounds really different - helps your statement stand out!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm hoping so! Do you know how much attention UCL pay to PS? Like where on the spectrum of academic orientated to potential orientated they are?
Original post by Dprince
I'm hoping so! Do you know how much attention UCL pay to PS? Like where on the spectrum of academic orientated to potential orientated they are?

I would imagine the personal statement is important as well as grades, but I really have no idea

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would imagine the personal statement is important as well as grades, but I really have no idea

Posted from TSR Mobile

I will try and look it up!:biggrin:
Any news? :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest