The Student Room Group

Notts or Bristol law

I've received offers from both and am unsure of which to choose. I'm mainly concerned about the job prospects(which would serve me better if I would want to work in a magic circle firm) and student/city life there. Would appreciate any feedback!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bristol - MC do recruit there and Bristol has some large law firms ala Burgees Salmon, Osborne Clarke.
In terms of a career in law neither university confers greater prestige than the other but Nottingham's law school is notoriously harsh in its marking and degree classifications so you are likely to come out of Bristol with a higher degree mark and even classification. Purely on this basis I would choose Bristol. Having said that, for the Bar anyhow, you are unlikely to work in a Magic Circle firm without a degree from Oxbridge and possible LSE/UCL. I don't know if this is different for solicitors.
Reply 3
Bristol deffo
I was in your position last year and ended up choosing Bristol. It was the best choice I ever made. (Fun fact: Bristol was my insurance choice, but now I'm glad I didn't get into my firm) I think it all boils down to in which city and university you prefer to spend your next three years. Although the temptation to advertise my university is high, I'll try to be as objective as I can:

-I come from a cosmopolitan city, and Bristol seemed to be livelier than Nottingham to me. However both cities are similar in terms of population.
-I preferred to study in a city university with historical buildings than a modern, somewhat isolated campus.
-As an international student, I had to factor in the university's popularity in my home country (feel free to ignore this if you're a local). Bristol is more highly regarded than Nottingham in my country.
-Bristol graduates have traditionally dominated top chambers and firms, whereas Nottingham's high reputation is relatively new. But this is trivial and can easily be overlooked.
-Most important of all, after spending some time at both places, Bristol seemed to be 'the one' for me. I recommend you to not take my word on it and go see both places yourself.

If you care to see the thread I created last year on the exact same topic: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2590407
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Nottingham appears to be stronger academically given its higher ranking and higher entry requirements. Will choosing Nottingham put me in a better position?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by exiled
Nottingham appears to be stronger academically given its higher ranking and higher entry requirements. Will choosing Nottingham put me in a better position?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The higher entry requirements shouldn't make that much of a difference - their A-level requirements are also higher than that of Oxford (AAA) but that doesn't translate into a better reputation. Plus it is not uncommon for Nottingham to send out AAB offers to candidates they find particularly impressive.

I would also take the rankings with a pinch of salt, as they are swayed by factors such as student satisfaction and research (largely irrelevant for undergraduate study).
Reply 7
Original post by Ratach
The higher entry requirements shouldn't make that much of a difference - their A-level requirements are also higher than that of Oxford (AAA) but that doesn't translate into a better reputation. Plus it is not uncommon for Nottingham to send out AAB offers to candidates they find particularly impressive.

I would also take the rankings with a pinch of salt, as they are swayed by factors such as student satisfaction and research (largely irrelevant for undergraduate study).

Really appreciate your advice!

How would you describe the culture at Bristol law?

Also, how do u find the quality of teaching at Bristol?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by exiled
Really appreciate your advice!

How would you describe the culture at Bristol law?

Also, how do u find the quality of teaching at Bristol?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Although I'm not in the position to compare the culture here to other places, the emphasis is mostly on independent study. You still get a fair amount of contact hours (one or two lectures for each module every week, as well as biweekly tutorials) and are expected to be prepared in tutorials, but everything is ultimately up to you.

As for the social aspect, law probably has the largest number of students (around 250-300) so it's socially very diverse. More likely than not you'll come across people that you click with. Frequent networking events and pub crawls also help you to branch out.

The lecturers and tutors are quite encouraging and adept at the subjects they are teaching. I have no complaints about the teaching staff so far.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest