The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Messiah Complex

Its irrelevant to you because it doesn't suit your argument. This attitude of yours we've already established. The simple truth is you are intolerant of anyone that disagrees with your viewpoint which shows an extreme immaturity and naivety.

No, it's irrelevant because it's irrelevant. The original comment was about looking at global trends which show generally rising temperatures, rather than looking at one place on the planet where the temperature has cooled. As far as I can see, that point is perfectly valid.

The comment you quoted was: You are trying to argue that global temperatures are dropping. Finding a time series of one point on the planet where that trend is true does not prove it's true for the entire world. I could find much more extreme examples of places in the world where temperatures are falling. That's not a surprise, it's a product of the incredibly complex climate system. It's also completely irrelevant. Global temperatures are rising as proven by satellites.

I'm not an expert on climatology, I never claimed to be. But I am saying the exact same things as experts on climatology are saying. If you disagree with me, then you are disagreeing with the climatological community who know a heck of a lot more than you do. And whilst I'm obviously not a climatologist, I at least understand the basics of climatology since I've done my research.

YOU HAVE DONE NO CREDIBLE RESEARCH WHATSOEVER. You haven't even been to university. You are a college student. You have done NO RESEARCH. Please stop perpetuating this myth that you've done any credible research at all because you haven't. You live in a realm of your own delusion. Its quite shocking really. If you've done any credible research whatsoever of an academic nature then you would be published. You are not so stop living in dreamland. What you have done is look up things others have researched to help formulate your argument/viewpoint.

the only thing you've done is repeatedly insulted me with petty little jabs

You were the first person who started with the insults so stop crying now when you get them back. If you cant handle darts being thrown at you then do not throw them in the first instance.

Regardless, I was playing devils advocate all along so I really couldn't care less. I am not the one pretending to be an expert on something at 18 and claiming to have done research. You wouldn't know what credible 'research' was if it slapped you in the face. I, someone who is now studying at postgraduate level, do know what actual research is.
Original post by RFowler
No, it's irrelevant because it's irrelevant. The original comment was about looking at global trends which show generally rising temperatures, rather than looking at one place on the planet where the temperature has cooled. As far as I can see, that point is perfectly valid.

Regardless, I was merely playing devils advocate because this poster continues to claim to have researched climate science and so forth when in reality all this poster has done is googled a selection of academic sources and used them to help formulate his viewpoint. That isn't credible research whatsoever so its a complete myth that this poster, at 18 has done research of any nature. If this person is doing research at 18 of such a credible academic nature then he would be regarded as a genius. I suspect that isn't the case and thus his viewpoint is no more valid than anyone else's put forward on here. The truth is, this poster suffers from a bewildering superiority complex, parades around the forum as if he's an 'expert' on climatology when in reality he is not.

I knew the moment I mentioned the global warming man made argument that this poster, due to sheer intolerance and a superiority complex in regard to the subject, would jump straight down my throat with personal attacks and abuse. I honestly cant wait until the poster in question goes to university and grows up. They're in for a shock, that is for sure.
Original post by Rakas21
Africa and the Middle East should be under western rule.

The Muslim faith should no longer be allowed to grow in the UK.

Eugenics is something we should practice albeit a more moderate and liberal version (genetic engineering at birth, financial incentives for certain people not to breed).

So in simple terms you believe in Western colonialism. Hmm that's worked out amazingly in the world hasn't it?
Original post by Gauntlets28
I agree. That's what happened to Kyoto when they built the bullet train line from Tokyo to it.

Yeah, there are supercommuters who commute from Southampton to London. Surely, after HS2, they will likely flock to the major city centres and commute from there.
Regardless, I was merely playing devils advocate because this poster continues to claim to have researched climate science and so forth when in reality all this poster has done is googled a selection of academic sources and used them to help formulate his viewpoint. That isn't credible research whatsoever so its a complete myth that this poster, at 18 has done research of any nature. If this person is doing research at 18 of such a credible academic nature then he would be regarded as a genius. I suspect that isn't the case and thus his viewpoint is no more valid than anyone else's put forward on here. The truth is, this poster suffers from a bewildering superiority complex, parades around the forum as if he's an 'expert' on climatology when in reality he is not.

I knew the moment I mentioned the global warming man made argument that this poster, due to sheer intolerance and a superiority complex in regard to the subject, would jump straight down my throat with personal attacks and abuse. I honestly cant wait until the poster in question goes to university and grows up. They're in for a shock, that is for sure.

There's lots of scientific information out there for those who want to look. If someone is interested in it and wants to research it for themselves they can do so by looking at scientific books and studies which are readily available.

I don't think Chlorophile has ever claimed to be an expert, it just seems he's researched something he's interested in. Lots of people do that with lots of different things. In the media I see plenty of climate change deniers pretending to be experts.
Whilst this is true, it is also the same for the media. When I say I don't trust them, I mean wholesomely.

This.

1. What do you think of the opinion that denying the government's statistics sets a dangerous precedent for denying anything because of the tiniest chance that they may have a motive behind it?

For example, if the government says that eating fiber helps you lose weight, couldn't you say that the true reason they say that is to boost the revenue for kale farmers, so we should ignore the government?

2. How do you think a government should be run?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Juichiro
1. How much cream do you think they use in proportion to the time they spend outdoors. And one should question the effectiveness of the creams they most likely buy. And I would not expect farmers to be overly rational regarding the use of cream. You also gotta think of those who also work there but can't afford the cream. And there will be tons of those.

2. My, you are bit extreme, aren't you? You need not to think of nakedness or winter-level clothing. Our discussion focuses on the continuum between both. And that's where skin cancer would most easily hit. Because it can.

The difference is skin colour dates back to times before we wore clothes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Chlorophile

Right, and what exactly puts you in the position to have a say in this argument? Are you actually able to construct a logical argument........

I don't know what planet you're living on......

This is absurd, I honestly don't know if you're taking the piss......

Note the use of the word "globe".... (condescending)

For someone with a BSc, you clearly don't understand the first thing about science. You are unable to argue scientifically. Your only arguments that you've brought forward are either cherry picked, or political.

What you are saying is that you, on the basis of your pathetic research.......That's not only ridiculously arrogant but it's ignorant too.

the only thing you've done is repeatedly insulted me with petty little jabs You are incredibly deluded, and the fact that you claim to have a degree in a STEM subject just makes that all the more depressing.

This.

Then:

the only thing you've done is repeatedly insulted me with petty little jabs

Oh the hypocrisy. :rolleyes:
1) If you eat meat, you should experience hunting an animal first hand. (Obviously it shouldn't be enforced by law, but you should try to get some perspective)

2) Homosexuality is abnormal. Gays should still be treated the same as everyone else however.

3) Fat acceptance is stupid. People should not be attacked for rejecting the idea that fat is sexy, when it clearly isn't

4) Neo-feminism is not needed and is backed by inflated statistics and emotional arguments

5) Not all cultures can integrate and function in a healthy society with each other. Also forced integration leads to more resentment between people then no integration

6) Oblivion was the worst Elder Scrolls game, even worse then Arena

7) Everyone should be able to voice their opinions in a non-threatening manner (yes even Nazis) without fear of being silenced. However, as long as it's still non threatening, others should be able to openly criticize them in the same way.

8) Equality of Opportunity > Equality of Outcome

Not to intervene in this pleasant and constructive debate but the dude is simply saying he's done some research on the topic and you do keep retaliating with his age; you can do better than that :smile:
"Oh the hypocrisy"

Just stating the obvious. Telling you that you don't understand what you're talking about (which is a logical statement based on a lot of evidence that you've generously given me) isn't the same thing as telling me that I've got "my head in my arse". One's a fact, the other's an insult.

YOU HAVE DONE NO CREDIBLE RESEARCH WHATSOEVER. You haven't even been to university. You are a college student. You have done NO RESEARCH. Please stop perpetuating this myth that you've done any credible research at all because you haven't. You live in a realm of your own delusion. Its quite shocking really. If you've done any credible research whatsoever of an academic nature then you would be published. You are not so stop living in dreamland. What you have done is look up things others have researched to help formulate your argument/viewpoint.

You were the first person who started with the insults so stop crying now when you get them back. If you cant handle darts being thrown at you then do not throw them in the first instance.

Regardless, I was playing devils advocate all along so I really couldn't care less. I am not the one pretending to be an expert on something at 18 and claiming to have done research. You wouldn't know what credible 'research' was if it slapped you in the face. I, someone who is now studying at postgraduate level, do know what actual research is.

I don't have to be an active research scientist to understand the basics of climatology! I don't understand what's so difficult to get about that! That's like telling an A-Level student they don't understand basic differential calculus because they're not a PhD researching advanced topology! I'm not claiming to be at the forefront of climatological research, I'm claiming to understand the basics - which I do, in contrast to you. You do not have to be a world-leading researcher of your field to understand it! You wouldn't tell a voter that they don't understand politics on the basis that they didn't study it at university!

I never. claimed. to. have. done. academic. research. I have read a lot around the subject and therefore understand the basics. I understand the overall arguments and the foundations of climate dynamics. I don't have to be a published academic to understand that.
(edited 9 years ago)
Cats are disgusting creatures and they should all stop existing. Big cats likes lions & stuff are totally awesome though
Original post by TheTruthTeller
So in simple terms you believe in Western colonialism. Hmm that's worked out amazingly in the world hasn't it?

Not in the way we did before. Rather we'd impose a western constitution on them to create a freer and more prosperous environment while dealing with their defense and foreign policy. They'd deal with tax and spend... We've been waiting decades for them to take off and only a small minority are remotely respectable countries.
Original post by RFowler

I don't think Chlorophile has ever claimed to be an expert, it just seems he's researched something he's interested in. Lots of people do that with lots of different things. In the media I see plenty of climate change deniers pretending to be experts.

Then he shouldn't go around claiming he has done this research and that research. He has done no credible research whatsoever. If he had done such, he would be published and its as simple as that. His arguments would be laughed at in the postgraduate community because he can sing and shout all day long about how he's done this and that but until he's done research of a truly academic and scrutinised nature its worthless. And yes, the attitude he flaunts around the forum with, i.e. using condescending language and abusing people for having a difference of opinion does show intolerance of something and if you are going to take that approach then you better have good reason for it. He has done NO research whatsoever of any credible nature on the subject. If so, he'll be able to provide us all with his published papers.
Original post by Rakas21
Not in the way we did before. Rather we'd impose a western constitution on them to create a freer and more prosperous environment while dealing with their defense and foreign policy. They'd deal with tax and spend... We've been waiting decades for them to take off and only a small minority are remotely respectable countries.

Such a naive thing to say. Do you really think the inhabitants of the middle east and africa would just let to control their lands... Ofcourse not.. Countries such as Tunisia have reformed constitutions and are very free. They don't need the West to further destroy their ruined countries in the name of "freedom".
Original post by alexschmalex
Cats are disgusting creatures and they should all stop existing. Big cats likes lions & stuff are totally awesome though

Finally another ailurophobe! Or maybe you're not scared and just disgusted.
Original post by Asklepios
To encourage more people (especially from poorer backgrounds) to enter higher education. A more educated population is a better one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What about people getting third rate degrees from third rate universities. These will not help the economy in regards to a higher income/more taxes paid and will not increase output.

Surely a system of scholarship for bright poor kids is preferable.
Original post by TheTruthTeller

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2009487/We-stayed-Britain-Shock-poll-reveals-60-Jamaicans-think-theyd-better-colony.html

My family originate from both Kenya and India. In my opinion, from what I've seen and heard from my family, I believe both of these of these countries were better off and still would be better off under colonial rule. That said, the people living in those colonies should all be under the same rules and have the same privileges regardless of race, gender, sexuality ect.

The decline happened when westerners couldn't afford to run the colonies any more and pulled out, leaving huge holes in the countries that the natives weren't equipped to fill.
Then he shouldn't go around claiming he has done this research and that research. He has done no credible research whatsoever. If he had done such, he would be published and its as simple as that. His arguments would be laughed at in the postgraduate community because he can sing and shout all day long about how he's done this and that but until he's done research of a truly academic and scrutinised nature its worthless. And yes, the attitude he flaunts around the forum with, i.e. using condescending language and abusing people for having a difference of opinion does show intolerance of something and if you are going to take that approach then you better have good reason for it. He has done NO research whatsoever of any credible nature on the subject. If so, he'll be able to provide us all with his published papers.

I never did. I never claimed I was a published academic. The only one claiming that I said that is you. Half of your arguments have been based on my age, which is completely irrelevant. I've explained explicitly several times now that I'm not and never claimed to be a published academic and I also explained that you don't have to be a world-leading researcher to understand the basics of a subject - yet you're blanking me.

Latest