The Student Room Group

Xylem water transportation- need some help asap

Please, need some help with this question asap. 😖
What provides the structural support for the xylem vessel?
The side walls of xylem vessels are strengthened by the deposition of rings or spirals of lignin. This lignin functions by cross-linking plant polysaccharides, conferring mechanical strength to the cell wall. Similarly, the polysaccharide components of plant cell walls are hydrophilic and therefore permeable to water, however, lignin is hydrophobic. The cross-linking of polysaccharides by lignin prevents water absorption into the cell wall, therefore improving water conduction and wall strength.

8ada717fcfb5ac341e987f968ecae146ebc69dad.gif
Idk if you need an A-level answer or a gcse one but We're doing b3 rn (AQA) and according to that it is
- a hollow vessel hence has no nucleus or cytoplasm this means that it can carry more water
- contains a thick cell wall made of lignin (which is waterproof)
- since water can't move through cell walls it is forced to move up the xylem vessel in one driection
Original post by saahil0987
Idk if you need an A-level answer or a gcse one but We're doing b3 rn (AQA) and according to that it is
- a hollow vessel hence has no nucleus or cytoplasm this means that it can carry more water
- contains a thick cell wall made of lignin (which is waterproof)
- since water can't move through cell walls it is forced to move up the xylem vessel in one driection

The question asks specifically for adaptations with regards to tension.
The second point you've made is the one they're after. However, the cell wall is not made of lignin. It is made of cellulose, but strengthened with lignin.
Original post by morgan8002
The question asks specifically for adaptations with regards to tension.
The second point you've made is the one they're after. However, the cell wall is not made of lignin. It is made of cellulose, but strengthened with lignin.

Sorry just realised this was a 6th form question >.< I was just going on my B3 notes, btw are you a teacher or something cause you type really formally and yeah
Original post by saahil0987
Sorry just realised this was a 6th form question >.< I was just going on my B3 notes, btw are you a teacher or something cause you type really formally and yeah

No I'm just a year 13.
Original post by morgan8002
No I'm just a year 13.

Oh right, still better than me
Reply 8
I'm doing AS, and I'm not on good terms with Plant Biology. 😩😫

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending