The Student Room Group

A book every 18 year old should read?

Scroll to see replies

1984 by George Orwell?
Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe?

Or, preferably, books everybody should read before they're 18.
Reply 2
The Outsider (also known as 'The Stranger') by Albert Camus
Original post by jedanselemyia
1984 by George Orwell?
Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe?

Or, preferably, books everybody should read before they're 18.

I was just about to suggest 1984! Still reading it now
Original post by Lularose83
I was just about to suggest 1984! Still reading it now

Good! :biggrin:
It's so essential. It opens your eyes.
Nietzsche-Thus Spake Zarathustra

destroyed my mental health
Original post by Smash Bandicoot
Nietzsche-Thus Spake Zarathustra

destroyed my mental health

Then people shouldn't probably read it? :frown:
Then people shouldn't probably read it? :frown:

how do you not know it only urt me because I'm weak. The stronger-willed will use it to adapt and grow, become great, for there is no God to tell them they are good or bad, they are their own god.
how do you not know it only urt me because I'm weak. The stronger-willed will use it to adapt and grow, become great, for there is no God to tell them they are good or bad, they are their own god.

It's pretty sad that you see yourself as weak.
The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
It's pretty sad that you see yourself as weak.

I am not perfect, I could aim for perfection, but I do not-I then complain I am insecure and have mental health problems. This makes me weak. For example: I say 'why should people have to look like fitness models, aren't some of them just being a bit vain with all the selfless?'-another user calls me rightfully [sic] a whiney fat **** who's jealous. The fact I am not even fat is irrelevant, they are right.
The Wasp Factory by Iain M Banks.
I am not perfect, I could aim for perfection, but I do not-I then complain I am insecure and have mental health problems. This makes me weak. For example: I say 'why should people have to look like fitness models, aren't some of them just being a bit vain with all the selfless?'-another user calls me rightfully [sic] a whiney fat **** who's jealous. The fact I am not even fat is irrelevant, they are right.

I really seriously hope you're not saying that mental illness is a form of weakness. :colonhash: I know plenty of seriously strong, mentally ill people.
'The Art of War' by Sun Tzu.
Original post by superwolf
I really seriously hope you're not saying that mental illness is a form of weakness. :colonhash: I know plenty of seriously strong, mentally ill people.

I didn't say mentally ill people are weak I said I am weak. :/

Perfection isn't achievable but why not aim upward instead of "whining" ?
A Brave New World?
Honestly, I don't believe that there's any books anyone should have to read at all. Sometimes books chime with a person, and sometimes the same books don't with another person. But so long as they read, they'll find something that inspires them eventually.
I didn't say mentally ill people are weak I said I am weak. :/

Fair enough - I'd be more careful with how you phrase things though, as it came across as quite negative towards the mentally ill. :sadnod:
Perfection isn't achievable but why not aim upward instead of "whining" ?

I do but it is impossible to reach my goals and, since it is my fault for being weak for not reaching my goals, even talking about it makes me weak and whiney. The only other option is internalised self-loathing and shame.

also, there is no need to put whining in inverted commas, it is widely known by everyone on this forum, in my family, old friends, probably my ex, hell even cousnellors etc. that I am just a big whinge. It has been this way since secondary school, every time I open up I am whining.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by superwolf
Fair enough - I'd be more careful with how you phrase things though, as it came across as quite negative towards the mentally ill. :sadnod:

I know I realise I'm running risk of this lately sorry :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest