The Student Room Group

Both my parents haven't worked since the 1980s and I've got a Cambridge offer AMA

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by CJKay
Thank you for your explanation. I'm sure you'll understand I find it funny that you defend it so well when you make the claim that everybody else's job is as lazy and skill-less as I just made yours out to be. Don't you agree?

I don't have a clue what this all about I never said anyone's job was skillless or lazy.

People who do well in academia and get a good degree classification at a good university get paid a higher salary compared than those who don't on average, therefore academia is obviously a good demonstration of potential.
Original post by CJKay
I have never heard of year 10 work experience. In my view, there is very little value any work experience could give you at that age.

A graduate job is experience.

Grades are not an indicator of anything but the ability to work in academia. There is no indication of potential whatsoever, and many people who get great grades go on to do nothing particularly spectacular. It demonstrates you have the ability to read a large book, then write about what you learned in that book which is, perhaps surprisingly to you, not that useful for the majority of jobs in the real world.

I'm sorry if I have disturbed your vision of what it means to be an animal.

Academia isn't a part of the real world? I can't think of anything more real than the people who study reality...
Reply 22
You've come from a difficult background, and you've made it through. Best of luck at Cambridge.
Congratulations!!!!!!!!
Reply 24
Original post by CJKay
I have never heard of year 10 work experience. In my view, there is very little value any work experience could give you at that age.

A graduate job is experience.

Grades are not an indicator of anything but the ability to work in academia. There is no indication of potential whatsoever, and many people who get great grades go on to do nothing particularly spectacular. It demonstrates you have the ability to read a large book, then write about what you learned in that book which is, perhaps surprisingly to you, not that useful for the majority of jobs in the real world.

I'm sorry if I have disturbed your vision of what it means to be an animal.

You're right, many people who get top grades go on to doing nothing particularly great... however, I'm sure the proportion of those with top grades going onto doing something "great" is significantly higher than the proportion of those without top grades.
Which college?

What sort of clubs, socs etc. do you want to get involved in when you go up?

How did you find the interview experience?
What have you eaten today?
Original post by grassntai

you look very pretty here. i think you'd be a very beautiful drag queen

OT: why don't your parents work? what is your career aspiration? have you always had a flair for academia? what motivates you?

Like this?
(edited 9 years ago)

What goes around comes back around.

Treat people the way you want to be treated. To some people getting a B at GCSE is great.

Enough said.
Reply 29
Original post by Chlorophile
Why do you have so many red gems? What did you do?

Had very strong opinions about things during GCSE, and a generally arrogant attitude. From my observations at the time.
Original post by TVIO
Had very strong opinions about things during GCSE, and a generally arrogant attitude. From my observations at the time.

Well done on your interview! AlphaNick (in my year onTSR) was really arrogant.
Well done on your Cambridge offer! Any tips on how to actually get in the mood to revise? I'm in Year 11 and have As in Maths and the 3 sciences however I van't seem to get it up to a A* :s-smilie:.
Original post by BCMFM16

He was although firstly I think a lot of it was piss-taking rather than being totally serious and also he calmed down a bit.
Original post by Chlorophile
He was although firstly I think a lot of it was piss-taking rather than being totally serious and also he calmed down a bit.

I agree. On the first GCSE chat thread someone asked him if he would share his notes. He then replied saying no which lead the other user called him selfish. Then right after he wrote a full essay on his life successes etc which started off with "Do you not know who I am?!"
Original post by BCMFM16
I agree. On the first GCSE chat thread someone asked him if he would share his notes. He then replied saying no which lead the other user called him selfish. Then right after he wrote a full essay on his life successes etc which started off with "Do you not know who I am?!"

Lol!
Reply 35
Original post by BCMFM16

I'm sorry I don't recognise your username :frown:
Original post by TVIO
I'm sorry I don't recognise your username :frown:

I'm in year 12 so I dont think we would have spoken in the past.
Original post by CJKay
In my view, there is very little value any work experience could give you at that age.

It's great for when you come to getting your first job! :h:
Reply 38
Original post by BCMFM16
I'm in year 12 so I dont think we would have spoken in the past.

Erm what were you congratulating me on?
Original post by TVIO
Erm what were you congratulating me on?

Your profile says you got into Cambridge? Sorry about being so indirect.

Quick Reply

Latest