The Student Room Group

A book every 18 year old should read?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Smash Bandicoot
I know I realise I'm running risk of this lately sorry :frown:

Is ok, just don't want people getting the wrong impression. :smile:
Original post by Smash Bandicoot
I do but it is impossible to reach my goals and, since it is my fault for being weak for not reaching my goals, even talking about it makes me weak and whiney. The only other option is internalised self-loathing and shame.

also, there is no need to put whining in inverted commas, it is widely known by everyone on this forum, in my family, old friends, probably my ex, hell even cousnellors etc. that I am just a big whinge. It has been this way since secondary school, every time I open up I am whining.

You need counseling :frown:
Original post by jedanselemyia
You need counseling :frown:

I've had counselling for 4 years, changing my behaviour has helped prevent a perceived negative effect but not the underlying feeling, which is difficult to eradicate because I think that it is useful. That is I think I SHOULD be afraid-if you thought the way I do you would want to be scared too, because if you're not careful paint rom something or someone will creep up from behind you and snap your neck.

I've shared enough, derailing the thread, hopefully you will find softer motivations for self-improvement than fear of failure or pain.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 23
Any other books?
- A brave new world
- the shock of the fall
- wasp factory
- Equus
- we need to talk about kevin
- The tale of Genji
- Sophie's world
- Siddhartha
- never let me go
- The life of insects
- feed by M T Anderson
- the virgin suicides
- American psycho
- turf by john lucas
- fight club
Original post by Молоко
- A brave new world
- the shock of the fall
- wasp factory
- Equus
- we need to talk about kevin
- The tale of Genji
- Sophie's world
- Siddhartha
- never let me go
- The life of insects
- feed by M T Anderson
- the virgin suicides
- American psycho
- turf by john lucas
- fight club

Naked Lunch?
Ooh, and A Clockwork Orange!
Original post by superwolf
Naked Lunch?

yes definitely! It's a great book
Ooh, and A Clockwork Orange!

Clockwork orange is honestly one of my favourite books. Knowing Russian did make it a whole lot easier to read tho :smile:
Original post by Молоко
Clockwork orange is honestly one of my favourite books. Knowing Russian did make it a whole lot easier to read tho :smile:

:yy: I speak a bit of Russian, definitely agree on that front. :smile:

Have you read We by Yevgeny Zamyatin? Also a great book, and written in nice clear language for non-native speakers like me. :colondollar:
:yy: I speak a bit of Russian, definitely agree on that front. :smile:

Have you read We by Yevgeny Zamyatin? Also a great book, and written in nice clear language for non-native speakers like me. :colondollar:

I'm non-native too :smile: took Russian for GCSE and ma going to do at degree level (hopefully) is that book in russian or english?
Original post by Молоко
I'm non-native too :smile: took Russian for GCSE and ma going to do at degree level (hopefully) is that book in russian or english?

Oh awesome. :smile: I did it at uni (Manchester) and really enjoyed it, although due to health issues and a bit of laziness I didn't come out of it as fluent as I'd have liked. :tongue: What unis you looking at?

I first read it translated into English, but on my year abroad got a copy in Russian too - I'd really recommend it, especially taking into account your reading list. This is a great online bookshop to get ebooks and audiobooks in Russian - I found listening to the audiobook of We really helpful.
Brave New World
Farenheit 451
It's kind of a funny story. My absolute favourite :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Unwind dystology by Neal Shusterman....its a four book series and was brilliant, I was sad to read the final book knowing it had come to an end. It did bring up some maddening and strange questions though...that might have been just me though.
I would also say the program by Suzanne Young and the hunger games. The program may be a bit disturbing considering the topic the book is about but it was a good read that's shows the effects upon society and teenagers as a whole.
Mindset how you can fulfill your potential, by Carol S. Dweck.
Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell
Reply 37
Oh The Places You'll Go - Dr Seuss
Oh! I thought of one! The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Never leave your teens without it!

Quick Reply

Latest