The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheBBQ
Gender roles are a good thing.

I also support Israel.

Yes
Original post by RFowler
I'd agree with most of this, except

"NHS should not pay for obesity care" - it's a dangerous slippery slope to go down because you could apply that to lots of things. The NHS should be free at point of delivery for all genuine health problems. Perhaps make sure all obesity care includes help and advice for weight loss.

And I wouldn't want a tax on fast food because it punishes the responsible people who eat it occasionally and don't get fat. Unless you were to also use that to lower the cost of other foods, so that for healthy eaters the cost would balance out.

- The tax would aim to prevent people from being overweight and obesity as a whole. By penalising those who eat poorly, it would force people into better food choices. And obviously the ability to eat in moderation is a staggeringly huge problem in this country.

- also the NHS isn't free for all health care at the moment. They won't fix my dad's hernia, they won't fix a lot of things because people don't seem to realise that a low tax rate is a BAD thing. The NHS will save your life but won't do much more than that. If you are ever treated privately then you'll realise that the quality of care is soooo much better.
Original post by TheBBQ
Gender roles are a good thing.

I also support Israel.

Israel is not a football team? You can't just say you support Israel. What aspects of it do you support?

E.g. Do you support its colonization of the West Bank deemed illegal by the UN, which it is ignoring since the liberal state argues God gave them the land?
Homophobia should stop being likened to Racism.
Original post by TheDanBandFan
Homophobia should stop being likened to Racism.

One could argue both are things you cannot control and are very similar.
Original post by TheTruthTeller
One could argue both are things you cannot control and are very similar.

But one can hide the uncontrollable trait and the other can't.
But one can hide the uncontrollable trait and the other can't.

You can pass as other races? Skin whitening creams, different contact lenses. I've seen it happen on numerous occasions.
Original post by Blue_Mason
-If such high a possibility that your child would be born with a severe disability then it must be terminated by law.
-A Severely disabled person must be put to sleep after a certain age
-Homeless hardcore addicts must also be put to sleep

-People from poor backgrounds should only be allowed to have one child

-people over 60 should not be allowed to work over 10 hours a week

-people over 65 should not be allowed to drive

May I ask what a severe disability is in your eyes?
Original post by hamix.forllz
And also penis size should be measured at birth. Those infants with potentially large dick shouuld get a licence for unlimited sex, those who in any time of their lives will only have under 2 inches fully erect should be banned from sex for life.

I can't even begin to imagine the problems that would cause
You can pass as other races? Skin whitening creams, different contact lenses. I've seen it happen on numerous occasions.

Which is a process am i correct? it is not a process to hide your sexuality?

Also skin lightening products do not make you look as a white person, either does contact lenses.

There is a coming out of the closet situation with homosexuality where as I am born black and that is often visible to those that can see.
Original post by Torigirl
If you haven't achieved at least 80% percentage of attendance at school during your whole school life then you are not allowed to claim benefits when you're an adult (except for medical reasons and are in hospital). So in the event those particular people can't find a job...should they just starve? Not to mention, low attendance does not necessarily mean no qualifications, I had the lowest attendance in college and still got the highest results in the class. So if I find it hard to find a job once I finish university do you think I should not be given benefits to survive on while looking for work?
People should not be able to claim out of work benefits for longer than 9 months. That's plenty of time to get a job, even if it's just cleaning. Whilst in theory yes it's plenty of time, there will always be some people who genuinely could not find work in that time, so should they just starve?
People should have their ability to have children taken away (an inserted chip of some kind that prevents reproduction) until they pass a financial, medical, emotional test. I hate that people have children they cannot afford. Well this is just unethical and against human rights and autonomy rights, and even if this did pass there would then be the challenge of deciding how much someone has to earn before they are allowed children, what medical conditions are acceptable and which aren't and what kind of emotional state is acceptable and which isn't.
Out of work Benefits should only cover the cost of food and utility bills, people should not be able to afford luxury items such as cigarettes, buying & being able to save for Christmas presents, Sky tv etc whilst on benefits. In my experience that is all benefits does cover, utility and food. I genuinely don't understand how some on benefits are affording some of the things you mentioned, unless they have someone buying stuff for them/giving them money or they are using credit cards for things such as play stations or subscriptions.
Prisoners should not be entitled to tv's, play stations etc whilst incarcerated. Agree it should be hard time, to try and convince them that prison is not a place you want to go too, at present prison is not the deterrent it should be.
I'm sure there's more, but that will do for now.

in red.
(edited 9 years ago)
Which is a process am i correct? it is not a process to hide your sexuality?

Also skin lightening products do not make you look as a white person, either does contact lenses.

There is a coming out of the closet situation with homosexuality where as I am born black and that is often visible to those that can see.

If your gay, I dobt you could just marry with a person of the opposite gender.
If your gay, I dobt you could just marry with a person of the opposite gender.

Sorry but it doesn't matter what you doubt I am afraid. It definitely happens, especially in those parts of the world where it is punishable by death and you do not have the freedom to be open about it.
Original post by Lularose83
I can't even begin to imagine the problems that would cause

Why? There is no such thing as a right to sex..
Sorry but it doesn't matter what you doubt I am afraid. It definitely happens, especially in those parts of the world where it is punishable by death and you do not have the freedom to be open about it.

You've already accepted they are both uncontrollable. Just because one takes a longer time to hide doesn't mean that racism is worse than homophobia.
You've already accepted they are both uncontrollable. Just because one takes a longer time to hide doesn't mean that racism is worse than homophobia.

I have never mentioned one being worse than the other.. these factors should not differentiate peoples views. Neither should have to hide anything.

But whether you like it or not it is a matter of words or the lack of them with sexuality but it is a process with varied outcomes for race which to be frank often does not work at all.

Your point is unfounded. If someone asks me am I a lesbian, I can say no and that would be it, whereas someone would not have to ask me if I am black.

P.S. I have accepted that some people deem that homosexuality is uncontrollable, thats not my personal view. Sorry if that's how it came across.
May I ask what a severe disability is in your eyes?

Someone that is or suffering a similar condition as Stephen Hawking.
Original post by Blue_Mason
Someone that is or suffering a similar condition as Stephen Hawking.

Ahh ok, so degenerative diseases are included?
Original post by hamix.forllz
Why? There is no such thing as a right to sex..

But there is a right to freedom of choice and expression (within reason) which sex categorically falls under.
Original post by Vestal Priestess
Abortion should only be available to the wealthy.

Please do explain...

Latest