The Student Room Group

Writing an essay for 2 poems please read!

I am stuck... Cannot think of foundations for each paragraph. Cannot think of a point to each P.E.E. .. . . . I know the poems very well (yes there are two poems we must analyze) but I cannot phrase the points I have properly...

The question of the essay is : Explore HOW Duffy PORTRAYS everyday experiences in her poems (Valentine and Mrs.Tilchers class)

Here is my layout for the essay :

Intro: blah blah...

Title of 1st poem:

Context of 1st poem:

Main body:

Title 2nd poem:

Context 2nd poem:...

Main body...

Conclude...

But my main question is I really cannot think of how to start each paragraph?? It is so very frustrating!!!!
Try a thematic response- find points about how the poet feels about everyday experiences/ themes ( you may feel that the poet is expressing anger, for example when you read the poem)
I would say to not get too frustrated about finding points to make, relax and you'll take the themes in better! Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by Lularose83
Try a thematic response- find points about how the poet feels about everyday experiences/ themes ( you may feel that the poet is expressing anger, for example when you read the poem)
I would say to not get too frustrated about finding points to make, relax and you'll take the themes in better! Good luck!

As i laid in bed last night I thought about having a structure like this :

Main body :

1. Talk about the use of metaphors or language
2. Talk about the structure
3. Talk about the tone.

Your Idea sounds better, Thing is, I don't really know how to write a thematic response? It is for Valentine and Mrs.tilchers class (the poems) and they do have some common ground which is good.

How would you start a paragraph just for an example?
Original post by redsoules
As i laid in bed last night I thought about having a structure like this :

Main body :

1. Talk about the use of metaphors or language
2. Talk about the structure
3. Talk about the tone.

Your Idea sounds better, Thing is, I don't really know how to write a thematic response? It is for Valentine and Mrs.tilchers class (the poems) and they do have some common ground which is good.

How would you start a paragraph just for an example?

I don't know the poems, but I'll make a paragraph to illustrate;

The poet implies that the main character experiences anxiety when faced with social interaction. This can be demonstrated in "quote" which reveals how the character is taken aback with sudden nervousness and angst when asked about his father. Anxiety is a specific theme in the poem because it suggests how people are affected by being situations that they do not feel comfortable in.

Something like that! Identify key themes like love/ romance, age, life etc and emotions and follow the structure that you made. Good luck!
In [poem], Duffy explores the everyday experience of [ ]...

'Mrs Tilscher's class' shows the poet's experience of primary school. She uses imagery blah blah blah such as blah blah blah to show her excitement about school etc. The use of senses such as in blah blah blah etc etc.

Potential structure for a poem analysis:

1. overview of poem eg. shows poet's memory of school and how her experience and feelings change as she grows up.

2. interesting uses of language? figurative language, form, sounds e.g. rhymes, alliteration, soft/hard sounds, word choice

3. structure? e.g. turning points/ stanzas/ how the poem progresses/organised

4. how it treats the overall theme (in your case, everyday experiences)

Hope this helps :smile:
I am stuck... Cannot think of foundations for each paragraph. Cannot think of a point to each P.E.E. .. . . . I know the poems very well (yes there are two poems we must analyze) but I cannot phrase the points I have properly...

The question of the essay is : Explore HOW Duffy PORTRAYS everyday experiences in her poems (Valentine and Mrs.Tilchers class)

Here is my layout for the essay :

Intro: blah blah...

Title of 1st poem:

Context of 1st poem:

Main body:

Title 2nd poem:

Context 2nd poem:...

Main body...

Conclude...

But my main question is I really cannot think of how to start each paragraph?? It is so very frustrating!!!!

That's a weak structure IMO.
Nearly all top band/grade responses will constantly compare/contrast in every single paragraph, think of it like a tennis rally, as opposed to explaining one poem then another. I would do that if I were you.
Reply 6
Original post by Adam171014
That's a weak structure IMO.
Nearly all top band/grade responses will constantly compare/contrast in every single paragraph, think of it like a tennis rally, as opposed to explaining one poem then another. I would do that if I were you.

This is not a compare/contrast essay though? we are told to make some comparisons but that could be done in the second half with the second poem e.g. Mrs.Tilchers class ....... which is similar to Valentine....

If you are adamant though, could you post an example of what the structure you would use?
Reply 7
I don't know the poems, but I'll make a paragraph to illustrate;

The poet implies that the main character experiences anxiety when faced with social interaction. This can be demonstrated in "quote" which reveals how the character is taken aback with sudden nervousness and angst when asked about his father. Anxiety is a specific theme in the poem because it suggests how people are affected by being situations that they do not feel comfortable in.

Something like that! Identify key themes like love/ romance, age, life etc and emotions and follow the structure that you made. Good luck!

Thank you, that is a nice example.

How about something like this for an overview?

Valentine is a poem about the exploration of love. The universal and prosaic perception of love is discarded by Duffy's cynical portrayal. Her use of an onion as an extended metaphor illustrates and amplifies the whole poem due to an onion being an everyday object; where, like love, can be related to in many ways. The poem is written in free verse, but with a very subtle and specific structure, like the layers of an onion, they get smaller nearer the end. The poem is also written with direct speech: "Not a red rose../I give you.." which gives the reader a sense of involvement at a intimate time.
Thank you, that is a nice example.

How about something like this for an overview?

Valentine is a poem about the exploration of love. The universal and prosaic perception of love is discarded by Duffy's cynical portrayal. Her use of an onion as an extended metaphor illustrates and amplifies the whole poem due to an onion being an everyday object; where, like love, can be related to in many ways. The poem is written in free verse, but with a very subtle and specific structure, like the layers of an onion, they get smaller nearer the end. The poem is also written with direct speech: "Not a red rose../I give you.." which gives the reader a sense of involvement at a intimate time.

Ooh yes that's very good, maybe make inferences on the layers of an onion being representative of the different facets of the person or the unpredictability (onions making one's eyes water when cut). The red rose could also represent blood, life force etc sorry if that's too much waffle, I used to write this way at gcse and all went well!
Reply 9
Ooh yes that's very good, maybe make inferences on the layers of an onion being representative of the different facets of the person or the unpredictability (onions making one's eyes water when cut). The red rose could also represent blood, life force etc sorry if that's too much waffle, I used to write this way at gcse and all went well!

Hmm... Yes I like that, Roses and blood etc.. It is good.

I am just trying to use/adapt P.E.E into each paragraph and I just cannot think of how to start my second paragraph?

"It is a moon wrapped in brown paper"
It promises light
Like the careful undressing of love.

That is stanza 2, which will be analyzed in my second paragraph.

I have thought about writing how the moon shares the characteristics of an onion, (love, madness) it is covered in brown paper, like onion skin and "it promises light" underneath the skin of an onion is light, moon behind the clouds , potential light and this ties in with love. Then the simile 'like the/undressing of love" new relationships, careful, revealing like when your first intimate with another...

They are things I wanted to include, but I have gone brain dead and cannot write... My CA is on Tuesday and i am just drafting at the moment, so this is leading into disaster.
Hmm... Yes I like that, Roses and blood etc.. It is good.

I am just trying to use/adapt P.E.E into each paragraph and I just cannot think of how to start my second paragraph?

"It is a moon wrapped in brown paper"
It promises light
Like the careful undressing of love.

That is stanza 2, which will be analyzed in my second paragraph.

I have thought about writing how the moon shares the characteristics of an onion, (love, madness) it is covered in brown paper, like onion skin and "it promises light" underneath the skin of an onion is light, moon behind the clouds , potential light and this ties in with love. Then the simile 'like the/undressing of love" new relationships, careful, revealing like when your first intimate with another...

They are things I wanted to include, but I have gone brain dead and cannot write... My CA is on Tuesday and i am just drafting at the moment, so this is leading into disaster.

Undressing of love is like unpeeling an onion! Just try mind mapping ideas for each paragraph. Pm me if you want :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending