The Student Room Group

Hypocritical a****** muslim brother

Hi all

My brother basically lives his own life, he is allowed to set up his own business, he has had girlfriends, goes out literally every other night to eat out, stays out late at night, goes travelling and does about anything he wants in his life.

When it comes to me he has brought me a laptop to stay on the internet and purchase me a subscription to Netflix which my personal opinion is so that I do not become outgoing so I do not know the outside world. He calls me when I am out late at night to come back home, he was staring at me when I was with a friend at 9PM! in his car smoking a cigarette!

How should I deal with this as I do not like living an internet lifestyle.

Scroll to see replies

Are you a guy or girl?
Reply 2
guy
Ditch the laptop and don't answer his calls when you go out
What's your parents say in all of this?
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous

He brought me a laptop for my birthday, would it be appropriate to sell it?
I don't see how the muslim bit makes its way in here..
Has he said that he does this on the basis of Islam, or is it implied?
Either way, you don't have to use the laptop, just take it as a good thing, I see no reason to complain.
Have you thought that maybe he's looking out for you like an older sibling?
It may be overbearing, but then again, just tell him to lay off if it's that bad.
Reply 7

My father is happy he has gone on to make something of himself although my father prefers me.

My mother criticizes him for being outgoing and wants him to study a medicine related degree.
How old are you and how old is he?
Reply 9
Original post by H0PEL3SS
I don't see how the muslim bit makes its way in here..
Has he said that he does this on the basis of Islam, or is it implied?
Either way, you don't have to use the laptop, just take it as a good thing, I see no reason to complain.
Have you thought that maybe he's looking out for you like an older sibling?
It may be overbearing, but then again, just tell him to lay off if it's that bad.

First point is very true I should not really have posted the muslim part.

Why should he be allowed to do anything he wants but its a double standard for me?
Original post by High Stakes
How old are you and how old is he?

24 and 26
Are you in university ? if not yet, choose something away from home so you can live in halls. My brother is so annoying as well, he tries to look stuff on my phone, comments on my make-up/clothes when he's the one who see different women probably every week

EDIT: I saw you are 24, so do you have a degree ? if yes, try to look for a job and move out, and if you can't because of your family, try to find a job far away so you have to move anyway
(edited 9 years ago)
First point is very true I should not really have posted the muslim part.

Why should he be allowed to do anything he wants but its a double standard for me?

Because us older siblings have the gift of hindsight :colonhash:.

Or, you know, the title is true (apart from the muslim bit). Either way, he doesn't own you, so do what you want.
24 and 26

Bruh, I'm 17. Let me iterate this (I'm a Libyan older brother). You're 24. You're a GROWN MAN. And your brother is only 2 years older than you. If he asks you to do something you don't want to do tell him to piss off.
Personally I think Im jealous of him, he is really good with social skills, relationships, has his own business, drives fancy cars, has friends, goes travelling and I am struggling with my life at the moment.
Original post by H0PEL3SS
Because us older siblings have the gift of hindsight :colonhash:.

Or, you know, the title is true (apart from the muslim bit). Either way, he doesn't own you, so do what you want.

That's great but when I try to do what I want they try to use fear to control my behaviour.

What shall I do there?
Original post by High Stakes
Bruh, I'm 17. Let me iterate this (I'm a Libyan older brother). You're 24. You're a GROWN MAN. And your brother is only 2 years older than you. If he asks you to do something you don't want to do tell him to piss off.

Thank you for the response

What would you do when they try to use fear to control your behaviour?
That's great but when I try to do what I want they try to use fear to control my behaviour.

What shall I do there?

How do you mean? Does he threaten to blackmail you or..?
Thank you for the response

What would you do when they try to use fear to control your behaviour?

I'd tell him to try me, and if he does anything I'd drop kick them in the face lol.
Original post by skinnylove25
Are you in university ? if not yet, choose something away from home so you can live in halls. My brother is so annoying as well, he tries to look stuff on my phone, comments on my make-up/clothes when he's the one who see different women probably every week

EDIT: I saw you are 24, so do you have a degree ? if yes, try to look for a job and move out, and if you can't because of your family, try to find a job far away so you have to move anyway

It's great you understand where I am coming from, I am in University and am due to Graduate however they have stated they want me to live in the house but I will be looking to move out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending