The Student Room Group

st olaves sixth form exam

for the science exams should i look at different gcse boards?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Nope there's no need. Just look over core and additional in your own book. Maybe look at a little unit three.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey I'm so exited about these exams! is that weird
Anyway, is anyone else doing Chemistry, Maths, Physics and Biology??
I'm in the Green group btw :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by book-obsessed
Hey I'm so exited about these exams! is that weird í ½í¸Œ

Nah. I know someone who gets really excited about exams. I'm currently in year twelve at olaves so I did the test last year. I do double maths, biology, chemistry and economics. Are you a medic by any chance?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey I'm so exited about these exams! is that weird ������

Hey I am also doing the St Olaves exam in what, 2 weeks and I am doing everything that you are doing except for Biology, which is replaced with History. I am in Yellow Group - what time is yours? And, I don't want to sound rude, but are you a girl or a boy?

Original post by mliela
Nah. I know someone who gets really excited about exams. I'm currently in year twelve at olaves so I did the test last year. I do double maths, biology, chemistry and economics. Are you a medic by any chance?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey do you have any tips on the Chemistry exam - on paper, it sound very vague but I bet its not ! :smile: It says good chemistry knowledge --> what does that mean? Could you please answer that? And another thing, how was the maths exam for you?
Reply 5
Original post by germanshepherd_
Hey I am also doing the St Olaves exam in what, 2 weeks and I am doing everything that you are doing except for Biology, which is replaced with History. I am in Yellow Group - what time is yours? And, I don't want to sound rude, but are you a girl or a boy?

Hey do you have any tips on the Chemistry exam - on paper, it sound very vague but I bet its not ! :smile: It says good chemistry knowledge --> what does that mean? Could you please answer that? And another thing, how was the maths exam for you?

Hey. I think chemistry was mainly core and additional with tiny bit if unit three. Just look at things in your syllabus. Most are quite similar. You get a choice of sections so you can do the ones you have been taught.
Maths also had two sections. The first was easier. The second was harder. They say you don't have to complete the paper but just try as much as you can. Even if you don't know make an educated guess. I didn't find to terrible but there was quite a bit that I didn't know, but I used what I did know to work it out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mliela

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha at least I know I'm not alone about the excitement :biggrin: and yep I'm a medic all the way ( plus I just really love science and maths is kind of tagging along ). Do you have any tips about the Chem exam?? Its the one I'm most worried about, in terms of how much to revise and what units, so any advice would be really appreciated.

On another topic how do you find the school?? I really loved it at the open evening, but I'm now interested in what the students are like, are they super competitive, friendly or just normal? :smile:

Hi :smile: I'm supposed to be in at 1pm and leave at 4.45, wbu?? Lol its fine about the question:biggrin:, I'm a girl, so yeah I'm in the minority :s-smilie: Btw, what revision have you done for maths? I keep on hearing contrasting stories about there being questions at an As level, so I'm unsure about what to do!
Original post by mliela
Hey. I think chemistry was mainly core and additional with tiny bit if unit three. Just look at things in your syllabus. Most are quite similar. You get a choice of sections so you can do the ones you have been taught.
Maths also had two sections. The first was easier. The second was harder. They say you don't have to complete the paper but just try as much as you can. Even if you don't know make an educated guess. I didn't find to terrible but there was quite a bit that I didn't know, but I used what I did know to work it out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much and I will do that. Focusing mostly on Maths and Physics - I think I might struggle on them so, yhhh :smile:

[QUOTE="book-obsessed;53146097"]

Hi :smile: I'm supposed to be in at 1pm and leave at 4.45, wbu?? Lol its fine about the question:biggrin:, I'm a girl, so yeah I'm in the minority :s-smilie: Btw, what revision have you done for maths? I keep on hearing contrasting stories about there being questions at an As level, so I'm unsure about what to do!

Lucky... I am one of the early birds, starting at 9, finishing at 12.15. And Yhhh I am also part of that minority :smile:too. The answer to your maths question, just going over all GCSE maths topics using a review sheet - good revision for the real thing and St Olaves. And no I haven't done any A-level maths revision, and I know what you mean. It is because people found it hard and thought that the hard stuff if a-level stuff, but I bet is not. It is like the Townley Maths exam some weeks ago... :biggrin: After that, I knew that I need to work harder... Hey how are you revising for physics???
Reply 9
Haha at least I know I'm not alone about the excitement :biggrin: and yep I'm a medic all the way ( plus I just really love science and maths is kind of tagging along ). Do you have any tips about the Chem exam?? Its the one I'm most worried about, in terms of how much to revise and what units, so any advice would be really appreciated.

On another topic how do you find the school?? I really loved it at the open evening, but I'm now interested in what the students are like, are they super competitive, friendly or just normal? :smile:

I kind of spoke about some chemistry revision previously in the thread. It's really hard to determine how much to revise. It just depends on you and your ability.

I really enjoy the school actually. We even have a medics elective, which is a class once a week where we go over things for medical school admissions.

In terms of the students it's similar to any other school. There are some very competitive people and some very chilled people. In my option I think that most people are pretty friendly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

X

I wish you guys all the best in your exams and that I'll be seeing you guys starting Year 12 next year! :wink:
Reply 11
Hey! I also applied and picked Double Maths, Computing, Physics and Chemistry. Does any one know about the contents of the Computing test? Also allegedly the questions for science are derived from a specific exam board.
Reply 12
Original post by Hayxe
Hey! I also applied and picked Double Maths, Computing, Physics and Chemistry. Does any one know about the contents of the Computing test? Also allegedly the questions for science are derived from a specific exam board.

I'm not sure about computing. All I know is that it is very different to IT.

The science questions didn't seem to be from one exam board. I did AQA and I know that many people didn't, the internals did a different one. The content is quite similar anyway and the school knows that everyone does different exam boards and that it would be unfair to give some people a certain advantage.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm in the grey group - anyone doing RE or art here??

Original post by Hayxe

The teacher I spoke to about computing said to look at computing GCSE past papers - it's nothing like ICT. Good luck :smile:
omdz what's economics like? i was thinking bout taking it instead of maths coz like maths and me just arent bonding at the moment...we are far from covalent...(laughs at chem joke)
Reply 15
Original post by MutoSiko
I'm in the grey group - anyone doing RE or art here??

The teacher I spoke to about computing said to look at computing GCSE past papers - it's nothing like ICT. Good luck :smile:

Thank you. Good luck!
Reply 16
Original post by DanDanNoodles
omdz what's economics like? i was thinking bout taking it instead of maths coz like maths and me just arent bonding at the moment...we are far from covalent...(laughs at chem joke)

Haha. Econ isn't too bad. It's mainly based on things in the news. It was pretty easy

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE="germanshepherd_;53165705"]Thank you so much and I will do that. Focusing mostly on Maths and Physics - I think I might struggle on them so, yhhh :smile:

Lucky... I am one of the early birds, starting at 9, finishing at 12.15. And Yhhh I am also part of that minority :smile:too. The answer to your maths question, just going over all GCSE maths topics using a review sheet - good revision for the real thing and St Olaves. And no I haven't done any A-level maths revision, and I know what you mean. It is because people found it hard and thought that the hard stuff if a-level stuff, but I bet is not. It is like the Townley Maths exam some weeks ago... :biggrin: After that, I knew that I need to work harder... Hey how are you revising for physics???

i found the townley maths entrance hard... didnt even finish looool idek y i took it im not feeling maths this year
[QUOTE="book-obsessed;53146097"]

ooh im at the same time 1 to 4:45 but im in the purple group. I too am in the minority group of girls...but in the great words of beyonce...WE RUN THE WORLD
[QUOTE="DanDanNoodles;53230463"]

ooh im at the same time 1 to 4:45 but im in the purple group. I too am in the minority group of girls...but in the great words of beyonce...WE RUN THE WORLD

No denial there - Its going to be weird being in a minority group (gender-wise) in a school environment.

anyone doing music is in the morning but apart from that - I think its sorted by surname.

Quick Reply

Latest